Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Did you pay a markup or forced add-on package for your Rav4 Prime?

• MSRP, no unwanted markups or add-ons.

Votes: 36 40.4%
  • MSRP + some unwanted Port Installed Options

Votes: 18 20.2%
  • Markup or Dealer Installed add-ons under $2500

Votes: 10 11.2%
  • Markup or DI add-ons $2501 - $5000

Votes: 14 15.7%
  • Markup or DI add-ons $5001 - $7500

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • Markup or DI add-ons $7501 - $15,000

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Markup or DI add-ons >$15,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 40 of 170 Posts

· Registered
2023 Rav4 XSE WP
55 Posts
Ours will be arriving in March - with about $1000 in port-installed options (we'd like a few of them, but would be happy without a few too), and an $8000 markup. After much searching, such a big markup became the only option unless we wanted to gamble on our 2006 RAV4 lasting another 6 months or so and look then (in the hope of increased supply).
Same with us. Our Rav4 Prime WP will be here in March. We paid a 5K markup, but it was either that or stay with our 2014 Forester.

· Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime SE Weather package
4 Posts
While I sit here waiting for my R4P which comes with a $4K add-on package, I got curious about how other R4P owners did in their buying negotiations. Lots of discussion about it but I didn't see a poll showing actual stats so I'm making one.

I've also discovered that forcing add-on packages like alarms, paint protection, VIN etching, door edge guards, etc, by telling people that these are mandatory and non-negotiable is actually illegal according to the FTC. I have no idea how to get around it though since the dealers here will simply tell you to go buy it elsewhere if you don't like it.

So, if you already own a R4P, did you pay for a markup or forced add-on package?

I set the votes to not display publicly in case you want your answer to remain anonymous. But please feel free to elaborate with details.
Yep yep wanted the car and the add ons were not a big deal

· Registered
8 Posts
I didn't want the wheel locks, but $60 on a $51000 '21 R4P XSE PP was not something I would quibble about. Body side molding was requested. I added my own mudguards. Like the R4P XSE PP, I ordered the BZ4X from the same dealer, who agreed to no ADM. However it arrived with $8k additional in PIO and DIO, bringing the out the door to $59k. Glad I bought the Limited AWD BZ from another dealer instead at the real MSRP for $51k. Since the wheel issue, dealers can't put on wheel locks on the BZ, so I think every BZ comes with a cargo net instead, another $60 option. Received the $7500 tax rebate on the R4P and hoping for a $3750 fed tax credit on the BZ, since I put 5% down before Biden signed the new law, but the down payment was not the dealer where I ended up getting it...I have to wait for IRS clarification in March to make sure.

· Registered
171 Posts
‘22 RAV4 Prime XSE paid $43K MSRP minus $1500 “VSPP” (Vehicle Special Purchase Program) discount (relative works for Toyota corporate) and then they added $1200 of some stuff I didn’t really want but basically shrugged off at the time I think it was running boards, roof rack, and black out logo plates. From time of request to delivery of car was 2 weeks (which was key for me at the time as I had no car and was forced to drive one of my friend’s hippie Volvo wagon! And not one of the new hipster Volvos that look like a Lexus…oh no…an old-school Volvo wagon, with a peace sign on the back! ☮ I was a week away from being asked to drive someone’s kids to a soccer game! It was awful 😂

prior to getting the VSPP deal thru a connected relative, I was told MSRP +$15K + 6-12 months!
At the time (August 2022), the Toyota Primes, Ioniq’s, Leafs, Tesla MY, Ford F150E, Mustang Mach E all were made out of a substance I refer to as “Un-obtainium”

· Registered
26 Posts
While I sit here waiting for my R4P which comes with a $4K add-on package, I got curious about how other R4P owners did in their buying negotiations. Lots of discussion about it but I didn't see a poll showing actual stats so I'm making one.

I've also discovered that forcing add-on packages like alarms, paint protection, VIN etching, door edge guards, etc, by telling people that these are mandatory and non-negotiable is actually illegal according to the FTC. I have no idea how to get around it though since the dealers here will simply tell you to go buy it elsewhere if you don't like it.

So, if you already own a R4P, did you pay for a markup or forced add-on package?

I set the votes to not display publicly in case you want your answer to remain anonymous. But please feel free to elaborate with details.
That would be option 2 in the poll.

MSRP + some unwanted Port Installed Options

The one I have coming in includes several PIO add-ons but I'm not too upset about that because most of them are things I would have bought myself either through the dealer or aftermarket. All-weather mats, roof rack bars, mud guards and one or two other things. I wish it came with some kind of running boards but I guess I'll have to do that myself.

The financing thing is another BS thing some dealers do but if your bank lets you refinance through them that's great. I may end up doing something like that too.
8/21 we paid $2500 over MSRP. Got $1500 CA state$$ and $7500 fed ITC. Looks like a steal now. Have 14,000 flawless miles. Just bought a new Tesla Model 3 Long Range, with the new price reduction and another $7500 ITC. We have solar, so except for RAV4P trips,it’s pretty much on the house.

· Registered
171 Posts
8/21 we paid $2500 over MSRP. Got $1500 CA state$$ and $7500 fed ITC. Looks like a steal now. Have 14,000 flawless miles. Just bought a new Tesla Model 3 Long Range, with the new price reduction and another $7500 ITC. We have solar, so except for RAV4P trips,it’s pretty much on the house.
Just reread your post I think you bought August 2021 not August 21st, 2022 so Nevermind…🤪

Ordered mine Aug 15 2022, Biden bill signed on Aug 16. My CPA says I just missed out on the $7500 but we are going to do it anyway and see if they catch it …my bet is they won’t but yours was Aug 22 so are you doing the same or are you aware the $7500 tax credit on Primes was “removed” on the 16th?

· Registered
2023 Rav4 XSE WP
55 Posts
I didn't want the wheel locks, but $60 on a $51000 '21 R4P XSE PP was not something I would quibble about. Body side molding was requested. I added my own mudguards. Like the R4P XSE PP, I ordered the BZ4X from the same dealer, who agreed to no ADM. However it arrived with $8k additional in PIO and DIO, bringing the out the door to $59k. Glad I bought the Limited AWD BZ from another dealer instead at the real MSRP for $51k. Since the wheel issue, dealers can't put on wheel locks on the BZ, so I think every BZ comes with a cargo net instead, another $60 option. Received the $7500 tax rebate on the R4P and hoping for a $3750 fed tax credit on the BZ, since I put 5% down before Biden signed the new law, but the down payment was not the dealer where I ended up getting it...I have to wait for IRS clarification in March to make sure.
As far as the tax rebate, the initial law does not cover EVs or PHEVs made outside the U.S., but Toyota is negotiating with the EPA according to the govt. website. So, by tax time next year we could be good.

· Registered
171 Posts
As far as the tax rebate, the initial law does not cover EVs or PHEVs made outside the U.S., but Toyota is negotiating with the EPA according to the govt. website. So, by tax time next year we could be good.
What do you mean by “the initial law”? I assume you mean the “Inflation Reduction Act” signed August 16 2022? But maybe you don’t 🤷‍♂️
I think there is definitely a state credit for buying a PHEV (not sure amount) and the $7500 was off federal returns and was definitely in-play last summer.
Tax day is in two months and we are claiming it so will see. They (IRS) will either flag me or they won’t …either way no big deal.
I already received a Credit Card for $1300 from the state of CA (but honestly I have no idea what that was for or why 🤪…maybe to cover the 250% increase in NG prices we just got or maybe it’s for the eventual increase in electric since we make roughly 50% of our electricity from Ng …but this state is so crazy who the heck knows? 🤷‍♂️…I just gave it to my wife to use for gas until we get her new car someday…

· Registered
2023 Rav4 XSE WP
55 Posts
What do you mean by “the initial law”? I assume you mean the “Inflation Reduction Act” signed August 16 2022? But maybe you don’t 🤷‍♂️
I think there is definitely a state credit for buying a PHEV (not sure amount) and the $7500 was off federal returns and was definitely in-play last summer.
Tax day is in two months and we are claiming it so will see. They (IRS) will either flag me or they won’t …either way no big deal.
I already received a Credit Card for $1300 from the state of CA (but honestly I have no idea what that was for or why 🤪…maybe to cover the 250% increase in NG prices we just got or maybe it’s for the eventual increase in electric since we make roughly 50% of our electricity from Ng …but this state is so crazy who the heck knows? 🤷‍♂️…I just gave it to my wife to use for gas until we get her new car someday…
The law just passed by Congress and signed by the President. It raised the rate for rooftop solar panels and stipulated that the car be made in the U.S. As for Toyota: "This manufacturer has entered into a written agreement with us to become a "qualified manufacturer" but hasn't yet submitted a list of specific makes and models that are eligible. Please check back here for updated information."

Further: "
Vehicles Placed in Service After December 31, 2022
The Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 (Public Law 117-169) amended the Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit (IRC 30D), now known as the Clean Vehicle Credit, and added a new requirement for credit eligibility. See information from the IRS to learn about the full set of requirements and a list of likely eligible vehicles.
Verification of Location of Final Assembly
Verification of final assembly for vehicles acquired beginning January 1, 2023, can be obtained using the VIN decoder below. For more details, see Electric Vehicle (EV) and Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle (FCEV) Tax Credit. For information on the other eligibility requirements for the tax credit for vehicles acquired beginning January 1, 2023, reference IRS Credits for New Electric Vehicles Purchased in 2023 and After.
Specific Assembly Location Based on VIN
The build location of a particular vehicle should be confirmed by the VIN or an information label affixed to the vehicle. The U.S. Department of Transportation's NHTSA also provides a VIN decoder that can be used to identify a vehicle's build plant and country of manufacture along with other details about the vehicle. To look up a vehicle's assembly location (build plant country), submit the VIN below.
Verification of North American final assembly is an initial step toward identifying vehicles that may be eligible for the Clean Vehicle Credit, but note that further conditions for eligibility may apply depending on the purchase date. For information about clean vehicles placed in service beginning January 1, 2023, see IRS Credits for New Electric Vehicles Purchased in 2023 and After for more details. For eligibility questions, contact the manufacturer or reference information from the IRS.

Toyota
1/1/10 to 9/30/22​
10/1/22 to 12/31/22​
After 12/31/22​
2023 bZ4X Plug-in Electric
EV​
$7,500​
$3,750​
TBD​
2012–15 Prius Plug-in Hybrid
PHEV​
$2,500​
$1,250​
TBD​
2017–22 Prius Prime Plug-in Hybrid
PHEV​
$4,502​
$2,251​
TBD​
2012–14 RAV4 EV
EV​
$7,500​
$3,750​
TBD​
2021–22 RAV4 Prime Plug-In Hybrid
PHEV​
$7,500​
$3,750​
TBD​

· Registered
23 R4P XSE w/PP Stormtrooper edition.
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Did Toyota just raise MSRP on these by about $700 or so? A unit identical to mine just showed up on my dealer's website and it's listed at about $700 more than mine. No difference I can see in the options and packages that are on it.

· Registered
23 R4P XSE w/PP Stormtrooper edition.
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
It does indeed look like they just raised the MSRP. The 2023 XSE had an msrp of $45,460. It is now up to $46,210. The SE also went up.

I guess I could consider that to mean it's a good thing I jumped in when I did instead of waiting. Still missed the $7500 rebate but oh well. Looks like it's not going to get any better for buyers anytime soon.

Now I'm just impatient as hell sitting here waiting for the call that it's ready for me to pick up.

· Registered
2022 RAV4 TRD Off Road - Ruby Red Flare
139 Posts

This was mine when we bought it last March
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Hood Automotive lighting

· Registered
2022 Rav4 Prime SE, 2016 Leaf with upgraded 40kwh battery, 2014 Prius, 1965 F100 Inline 6
432 Posts
This poll is worthless by the way. First people are far more likely to report their "successes" as opposed to failure (paying over MSRP). Second market situations keep changing. So motivation to pay over MSRP has changed as well. And third, the 7500 tax incentive dropped out.

I got my SE at MSRP plus $299 doc fee, which was their doc fee for years, so cannot quibble. Put in my desires in May 2021. Got informed of the vehicle leaving Japan March of 2021 (not long after Ukraine was invaded). Dealer held by their commitment to sell for MSRP. Molle Toyota here in KC. Honorable people.

Had $1000 down at Hendrick Toyota in KC are as well. They later squirmed out of the deal, demanding over $6000 add ons (which I refused) instead of the $1600 I had agreed to. Moment I said "I'll pass" they promptly cancelled the earlier "deal", which they made me SIGN for even, and issued me a check.

I have bought several Toyotas from Jay Wolfe in KC through the years. I started asking about Prime in late 2020 with the dealer I have used long term. They required no down since I was an existing customer. Told them I wanted Silver SE with Weather Pkg. In July 2021 they offered me a Silver XSE with Premium Pkg over 50k, but at MSRP. Lots of stuff like running boards that I was not interested in (at the time). Politely I declined (pre-Ukraine). I kept in touch with my saleman. In March 2022, he informed me "the rules have changed" and they were then charging $5000 market adjustment.

Next Toyota I buy:
Hendrick
Jay Wolfe

Molle

· Registered
171 Posts
The law just passed by Congress and signed by the President. It raised the rate for rooftop solar panels and stipulated that the car be made in the U.S. As for Toyota: "This manufacturer has entered into a written agreement with us to become a "qualified manufacturer" but hasn't yet submitted a list of specific makes and models that are eligible. Please check back here for updated information."

Further: "
Vehicles Placed in Service After December 31, 2022
The Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 (Public Law 117-169) amended the Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit (IRC 30D), now known as the Clean Vehicle Credit, and added a new requirement for credit eligibility. See information from the IRS to learn about the full set of requirements and a list of likely eligible vehicles.
Verification of Location of Final Assembly
Verification of final assembly for vehicles acquired beginning January 1, 2023, can be obtained using the VIN decoder below. For more details, see Electric Vehicle (EV) and Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle (FCEV) Tax Credit. For information on the other eligibility requirements for the tax credit for vehicles acquired beginning January 1, 2023, reference IRS Credits for New Electric Vehicles Purchased in 2023 and After.
Specific Assembly Location Based on VIN
The build location of a particular vehicle should be confirmed by the VIN or an information label affixed to the vehicle. The U.S. Department of Transportation's NHTSA also provides a VIN decoder that can be used to identify a vehicle's build plant and country of manufacture along with other details about the vehicle. To look up a vehicle's assembly location (build plant country), submit the VIN below.
Verification of North American final assembly is an initial step toward identifying vehicles that may be eligible for the Clean Vehicle Credit, but note that further conditions for eligibility may apply depending on the purchase date. For information about clean vehicles placed in service beginning January 1, 2023, see IRS Credits for New Electric Vehicles Purchased in 2023 and After for more details. For eligibility questions, contact the manufacturer or reference information from the IRS.

Toyota
1/1/10 to 9/30/22​
10/1/22 to 12/31/22​
After 12/31/22​
2023 bZ4X Plug-in Electric
EV​
$7,500​
$3,750​
TBD​
2012–15 Prius Plug-in Hybrid
PHEV​
$2,500​
$1,250​
TBD​
2017–22 Prius Prime Plug-in Hybrid
PHEV​
$4,502​
$2,251​
TBD​
2012–14 RAV4 EV
EV​
$7,500​
$3,750​
TBD​
2021–22 RAV4 Prime Plug-In Hybrid
PHEV​
$7,500​
$3,750​
TBD​
Where does that table at the end of your last post come from? IOW, where can I find that it shows 2022 RAV4 Prime bought before 09/30/2022 is elegible for $7500 tax credit? I was under the impression it was off the table at signing on August 16, 2022
Inquiring minds want to know! 😃🙏

· Registered
2022 RAV4 Prime XSE PP Supersonic Red
77 Posts
Just reread your post I think you bought August 2021 not August 21st, 2022 so Nevermind…🤪

Ordered mine Aug 15 2022, Biden bill signed on Aug 16. My CPA says I just missed out on the $7500 but we are going to do it anyway and see if they catch it …my bet is they won’t but yours was Aug 22 so are you doing the same or are you aware the $7500 tax credit on Primes was “removed” on the 16th?
There is a word for claiming a tax credit / rebate that you KNOW you are not entitled / eligible for…….
FRAUD

I understand the laws changed and the dates left some out in the cold, but that’s no excuse.

· Registered
2023 Rav4 Prime XSE
330 Posts
There is a word for claiming a tax credit / rebate that you KNOW you are not entitled / eligible for…….
FRAUD

I understand the laws changed and the dates left some out in the cold, but that’s no excuse.
it's actually not very well defined from the research I've done on the topic. there seems to be room for interpretation in there.

· Registered
171 Posts
FRAUD

1. I am totally entitled to the tax rebate. I have paperwork that shows I bought the car the day before the government changed the rules of the game…in the middle of the game! 🙄
The sticking point for my case has to do with the deposit amount tendered is all.
2. There are also two words for a government changing the rules of established commerce mid-year to simply take/steal money and property from established businesses that have carefully planned their manufacturing, marketing, finances and expenditures years in advance: It’s called “THEFT/LOOTING” or as a child would call it: “CHEATING”
3. Bear is correct, they rushed the looting (err…Inflation Reduction Act) and were incompetent and lacked specifics at its wording; also lack ability to account and enforce….so there is significant room to make a case (if one is inclined and I am) that I get the credit. If they, the IRS, wishes to spend $100K on me trying to retrieve $7500 then that is their call. My accountants, bookkeepers, and lawyers are at the ready! 😀

21 - 40 of 170 Posts