Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my RAV4 for about a year now. When I first got it, I got about 23-25 mpg. In the last month or so my mileage dropped to 17-18 mpg. It has about 88k miles. I figured it was time for a tune up, so I changed my oil, plugs, plugs wires, cap, rotor, fuel pump, air filter, and cleaned out my throttle body and egr valve. None of this has helped at all. According to my Haynes manual, my ignition coil reading just as it should. The air pressure in my tires is fine. It just had an alignment. The truck drives great, it just sucks down too much gas. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Also could be injectors and fuel filter....when mine were cleaned and changed respectively i got better fuel economy.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops....I meant fuel filter, not pump. I used 5w30 oil when i changed it. I didn't take the throttle body off, I just took off the air inlet and cleaned it from there with some carb cleaner and a toothbrush. I've ordered a CarChip E/X to see if that can help me diagnose my problem. Has anyone ever used one of these data loggers before?

·
Registered
986 Posts
My Rav's fuel mileage is greatly affected by outside temperatures. Since you live in Oregon it's winter right now, so that might be the culprit, although the mileage should only drop by a few MPG. The mileage in my 01 Rav drops about 3-4 mpg during the colder months. It might just be the winter gas you get over there.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The mileage in my '96 (and my '04 for that matter) dropped dramatically in winter, so that could be what's going on. This, of course, is partly due to the need to warm up the car before proceeding...0 mpg for a few extra minutes each day.

Also, in my '96 using the "Plus" gas increased my mileage enough to pay the difference in the cost of the fill-up. This did NOT hold true for using "Premium", and it does NOT hold true in my '04. The '04 does best with plain old "Regular".

Becky

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be because its winter. I got it after winter last year so this is the first year I've driven it when it was colder. It doesn't get real cold where I am. It rarely dips below 40. Not like WI. I feel for you Becky. I grew up in WI and learned to drive on ice. Its been really nice here for a couple days, so hopefully that's it. Either way I'm probably going to have my injectors cleaned and I'll be picking up the CarChip tommorow. If it tells me anything I'll let you all know. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I'm also getting less-than-great mileage (18-19 mpg) from my RAV, but I've only had it since the end of November so it's only been driven on winter-formulated gas and in cool or cold temperatures. Considering it's an auto 4WD, gets parked outside and used mostly for short (<6 miles) trips, I guess it could have been worse.

Still, I warm it up by driving it, not idling, keep the tire pressure a little higher than Toyota recommends, and use a very light touch on the gas, so I'm a little surprised to see mpg in the teens from a 2.0-litre vehicle. My 2.5-litre Subaru is doing 3-4 mpg better under the same conditions.

When spring comes I'll definitely be happy to get the 23-25 mpg you were getting earlier.

·
Registered
122 Posts
bmorton said:
I'm also getting less-than-great mileage (18-19 mpg) from my RAV....
Same thing here, since we have it.

On small trip, in winter, with frequent stop'n'go, I thinks it's "normal"

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would also consider that oxygenated "winter" fuel is the prime reason for the drop in gas mileage. However, colder temperatures will cause transmission and gear oils to be thicker as well. I think what you are seeing is fairly normal.

·
Registered
986 Posts
When I determine whether my mileage during the winter is satisfactory or not, I also take into account the fact that my Rav spends a lot more time idling during the winter than it does during the warmer months. During the winter I usually let my Rav warm up for 10 minutes before I leave in the morning, and also other times during the day if it has been sitting for more than an hour or two. Of course when my Ravs sits outside ilding, it is using gas without adding any miles, which throws of my MPG calculations.

Basically these are the factors that affect your gas mileage during the winter:

- Colder air means more fuel used by the engine
- Winter gas sacrifices mileage for better emissions in cold weather
- Longer idling times warming up the engine
- More friction in the drivetrain caused by the fluids becoming thicker from the cold
- Tire pressure decreases 1 psi (or more) for each 10 degree decrease in temp
- Rolling friction of the tires increases as they get colder
- Snow tires have more rolling friction than all-seasons (if you have them like I do)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
horrible fuel economy

Yeah we get bad mileage. I think this is the RAV's greatest curse. We're near Toronto so it's cold for many months. Plus we have a 97 model.

I've figured about 18-19L / 100km.
By comparison, my 2001 Mazda Protege sips at about 8-9L/100km.
(sorry i dunno the exact mpg, i always get confused on what gallon to use, imperial or ??)

Anyway, I find it VERY disappointing that this 2.0L engine wastes so much fuel.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, I'm suprised people get mileage that's that bad...

In summer we'll get about 27, in winter 23 or so...that's mpg...

I did get 29.89 last summer while driving out to Wisconsin, but I don't think much over 30 is possible with an AWD vehicle...just too much drag.

The worst mileage we had was 21 or so, that was on a camping trip up to Maine. We had the roof rack on top full of gear, four people, the back full of tents etc and the bikes on the back...no big suprise there.

My brother in law has a Scion xB...rated for 34 on the highway...he regularly gets over 40...last tank was 39...not bad for midwinter...I think you all might recall what my Civic gets...

There are some things you all can do to improve your mileage.
1.Never let the car idle to warm up
2.Never use the drive through
3.Take off accessories if you're not using them (ie roof racks, bike racks)
4.Drive conservatively
5.Avoid short trips
6.Check your tire pressure
7.Keep your vehicle in tune

Bogatyr

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
It's possible to do 30+ in an AWD vehicle (my Subaru gets up to 33 mpg on the highway in summer) but probably not one shaped like a brick the way the RAV is. Typically winter conditions and fuel knock 4-6 points off the mpg I've seen on any vehicle I've owned, and since my RAV's last three tanks have been 19, 18, 20 mpg I'm hoping to see 22-25 mpg in daily driving once warmer weather comes.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Re: horrible fuel economy

Nutella said:
Yeah we get bad mileage. I think this is the RAV's greatest curse. We're near Toronto so it's cold for many months. Plus we have a 97 model.

(sorry i dunno the exact mpg, i always get confused on what gallon to use, imperial or ??)

That's kind of rediculous, I get 10L/100km doing an average of 110km/hr in 4th gear! Is yours an automatic by any chance?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

tankd0g said:
That's kind of rediculous, I get 10L/100km doing an average of 110km/hr in 4th gear! Is yours an automatic by any chance?
Yes, it is auto, and I've seen my numbers reported by others before but rarely.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There are 2 additional sensors, besides the o2 sensor, that can have a big effect gas mileage if they go bad; the coolant temp sensor and the intake air temp sensor. The best way to tell is by monitoring the STFT and the LTFT.

·
Registered
11 Posts

that is sad to hear as i get 27-29 a gallon here in Tampa and 32-35 on the highway but I seldom treck north when it cold

·
Registered
181 Posts

Nutella said:

There is definately something wrong for the car to be getting gas mileage that bad........no way it should drink that much :?

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey all,
I'm still trying to get my mileage up but with no great luck. It's summer now and my milage is about 19-20 mpg, and it doesn't matter if it's city or hwy driving. I tried using the Seafoam like some people had suggested, drove better, but no mpg change. I just had my fuel injectors cleaned, so hopefully that'll make a difference.

There are 2 additional sensors, besides the o2 sensor, that can have a big effect gas mileage if they go bad; the coolant temp sensor and the intake air temp sensor. The best way to tell is by monitoring the STFT and the LTFT.
Jeffs97 - What are the other 2 sensors you're talking about. I tested the O2 sensors and they're working properly. How do I test STFT and LTFT?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 36 Posts