Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure how to describe it properly but I just washed our new 2016 Pearl White and it looks like Toyota really dropped the ball on either the paint process/prep or paint quality..several locations where the paint has chipped off already..low impact areas like the top of the hood and the lower face of the rear door..I'll take pics when the light is better (evening now) but on this white vehicle it really shows badly..

Anyone else with similar conditions...?

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
Yup, on my '15 Limited, the new low VOC water based OEM paint isn't very tough. :(

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
There have been numerous complaints on this forum about paint quality - seem to be primarily about white RAVs. An acquaintance is a service writer for a dealership for three non-Toyota brands and said that they have problems with white vehicles as well.

Reactions: Andrea Stellar

·
Registered
283 Posts
Maybe it is a weather thing but our 2015 Ltd. Pearl White that I take to a hand car wash, do nothing special except garage it always is still holding up great with no flaws here in SoCal.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
On my second Pearl White car and intend to get it again when its time for another. Love it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is why clear bras are so nice, they make the paint pretty much untouchable and self-heal when they get damaged. I will never own a car that I do not have a clear bra on, the newer ones are just so good at protecting the paint. Rock chips have become a thing of the past. I had a bra installed on my mother's Toureg, and the car has been scraped against the brick and painted wood of our garage twice, and both times the brick dust and paint transfer wiped off with isopropyl, and after a day in the sun, it looked perfectly smooth again (scratches and marring just need warmth and they will permanently disappear). I haven't hit the front end of my RAV4 on anything, but 7k highway miles after I bought it and there isn't a single mark on the whole car. Quite amazing material, you can't even tell it's there.

Reactions: AdventureRN

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
If one looks at Post #1 and the video link in Post #3 it appears that no currently produced "bra" will prevent the damage which is described and shown. That damage most likely is caused by a defect in the paint itself or by some problem with the factory paint application preparation process.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't see any images in this thread, but if you are referring to the picture above the windshield that is in the article "Paint Chipping Rav4 2010 V6" in post #3, there are bras for that, I have one covering that exact affected area. You can stick a clear bra on any part of the car. I would assume that was most likely a combination of very high rock chips and thin paint that led to it peeling. Once the paint is compromised, strange things can start happening.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
I don't see any images in this thread, but if you are referring to the picture above the windshield that is in the article "Paint Chipping Rav4 2010 V6" in post #3, there are bras for that, I have one covering that exact affected area. You can stick a clear bra on any part of the car. I would assume that was most likely a combination of very high rock chips and thin paint that led to it peeling. Once the paint is compromised, strange things can start happening.
I suppose that owners could cover even their entire vehicles with clear bra material but that shouldn't be necessary. In about 60 years of driving I've had a few front roof edge and even some vehicle side stone chips but they didn't result in damage and deterioration beyond the chips themselves.

Agree that a clear bra is a good add-on for areas which one could expect that stone chip damage would occur, especially the vulnerable front edges of vehicles. And a clear bra would have been preferable to the Honda factory vinyl bra which I got for a previous CR-V and because of poor design flapped at highway speeds and caused damage to the hood paint until I became aware of that and developed a rather hokey remedy!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would definitely consider the leading edge of the roof a potential area for chip damage. Now, if those patches were occurring across the whole roof.... probably not impact damage. I had to have an area on the roof of my VW golf repainted because of a chip in this area that caused a strip of paint to come off. I guess it could depend on climate and a lot of other conditions, though. High humidity and rapid temperature shifts could probably result in something like this if there is a deep enough chip to begin with. There are a ton of cargo vans around my area, and they have very vertical leading roof lines that I imagine can take pretty big hits. Needless to say, most of them have paint peeling across this area. I still want to see pictures from the OP though, since something extremely bad would seem very strange on a car this new. Still, I've gotten stone chips in the strangest areas before, including on the edge of the paint on the hood closest to the windshield and in the center of the very long and flat (seemingly low risk) hood of my z4.

I wish I could cover every vehicle with a clear bra! Seal in that factory shine for a long time. It's the easiest thing to clean as well, since any swirls are self-healing. Loads better than an improperly installed vinyl bra.... which I see far too often while driving.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The pic below had never had a rock chip or thin paint peeling. Believe it or not it was snow, lol. Had a snow accumulation and when I was pushing the snow off the roof the ugly picture revealed itself. No hard pushing or thugging.... smooth soft brush push. By the way the woman at DCH Toyota argued that it was all caused by high impact blows. No dents but just smooth ugly paint chipping. She wasn't ready to take care of it since the warranty already expired. I just said a magic word infront of the Service Manager " One more month and this garbage will be fully paid already, I will never get a TOYOTA again.... never had a problem with my CRV." Guess what,,, the service manager hurriedly pulled me to decide and told me to calm down,,,,, and he will take care it. Yup they fixed it for free.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The pic below had never had a rock chip or thin paint peeling. Believe it or not it was snow, lol. Had a snow accumulation and when I was pushing the snow off the roof the ugly picture revealed itself. No hard pushing or thugging.... smooth soft brush push. By the way the woman at DCH Toyota argued that it was all caused by high impact blows. No dents but just smooth ugly paint chipping. She wasn't ready to take care of it since the warranty already expired. I just said a magic word infront of the Service Manager " One more month and this garbage will be fully paid already, I will never get a TOYOTA again.... never had a problem with my CRV." Guess what,,, the service manager hurriedly pulled me to decide and told me to calm down,,,,, and he will take care it. Yup they fixed it for free.

I agree that it's a bad paint job by Toyota. Most likely an issue with the primer.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'd like to believe the narrative that Toyota has strict quality controls and Mexican/Canadian/US made vehicles are no better or worse than their Japanese counterparts. But sometimes I wonder.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts
If I remember it right the VIN number will show if it is Japan or USA. I think my RAV2010 VS was USA.
If the VIN starts with J, it was built in Japan. If it starts with 2, it was built in Canada. If it's a 1, 4, or 5, it was built in the USA. NO RAV4 has EVER been built in the USA.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts