Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anybody else experiencing this?

If I go to pass someone and have to accelerate fairly quickly to pass then the steering really gets unstable. It's as if the computer gives up trying to figure out what is going on and just goes completely loose. You then find yourself no longer in your previous lane with oncoming traffic and your are steering quickly to try and get things back in control. Going for my first service soon and I'd like some feedback from others on this before asking Toyota to look at it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I cannot understand what the problem may be from the description. The steering on my unit seems to be working fine when accelerating. I have to note that the fat Geolandars take their time to deform under the side loads, but I do not have any stability issues at all.

{edit: I just noticed that the poster has V-6 and I have I-4, so if any torque steering issues were there, mine would be less susceptibe. But still...}

S

·
0 Posts
I have experienced a similar phenomenon on a 2 lane highway when passing. It feels like torque steer from a 2 wheel drive vehicle. The electronics seem to react strangely to this manouever.

By the way what is your fuel consumption so far? I keep reading about 10 to 11 L/100km or 22-23 mpgUS in a mix of city highway driving. I am getting nowhere near that, but 12.5-13.5 L/100km after 2500km of driving.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gas mileage reply

I haven't calculated my gas mileage yet. I figure it isn't worth it until it is broken in. In regards to the feel some of it is definitely torque steer but I think the algorithm they are using for quick changes of both acceleration and steering input is wonky.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Thats torque steer. Fairly common with fwd (which is what the 4wd is unless it detects slip) and high hp like the 6 has. What happens is that since the 2 driveshafts out to the wheels are different lengths, they twist at different amounts causing a quick loading and unloading of the twisting of the driveshafts causing what you are feeling

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had a similar experience once doing a forced merge onto the highway. I came from one highway to another but the merge ramp was very short and on a bend with a wall at the end. This lady misunderstood my left hand signal light for that "I'll never let him in front of me" light. As soon as she seen me she tried to close the gap. I never understand people who react to someone trying to change lanes as if I'm trying to desecrate your family name. Like maybe I should have slammed on the brakes and smashed into the wall all so that you have the front seat on the highway. Ease off and let traffic merge. She was definately a road rager and honked her horn at me for like a mile. I thought it was funny like am I supposed to hit her with the club and drag her back to the cave? Anyway, while I was running her off the road I did notice whats best described as heavy torque pull when I floored and merged left. It was a little sloppy or moreso unsuspected.

B

·
0 Posts
Its definately torque steer. But given the power of the V6 and what is essentially front wheel drive, its really not bad.

Try a circa 1990 SAAB 900 turbo for real torque steer :shock:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts