Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dad sold me his urban RAV4.1. I'm using it in a rural environment, with a long gravel road entrance that has deep culverts. We've done this trip thousands of times in a Honda Jazz and 2WD Triton.

However, I've managed to pop the strut mount on one side, after only a few trips down the driveway.

I'm thinking that the RAV4 strut mount is not as solidly attached as many other designs, due to having large amounts of rubber, to stop 4WD tyre noise. It's designed to give large amounts of travel, to make it appear that the car can take the rough stuff.... when it can't.

I looked at the Triton, a car that I have thrashed for 25 years, and the strut mounts are hidden down low, next to the wheels.

I'm wondering if the 15yo age of the rubber in the mount is a problem, or whether you just have to drive a RAV4.1 like they are a shopping trolley.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The mechanic just told me that usually what happens, is that old struts jam up and punch a hole in the top, eventually. Will cost $1100AUD to do the both sides. This second hand car business has some costs.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Strut tops are like $30 each. Get some spring compressors and dome spanners and change them out. Should only cost 1100 if your changing the whole struts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts