Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the title says it all. Portable Battery Jumpers. Mine saved my back-side today. When going to leave work, went to crank the motor, nothing. checked everything, turns out it was the battery (still the original from 2006). There was no one else in the lot, and my cell phone had already died. Luckily for having the "Beast" (got it from Sportsmansguide . com a few years ago) I was able to make it home, and not have to walk a few miles to the nearest building. Who else carries one in their Rav4? Mine has a built in compressor, USB, 120V converter, work/area light, and then the jumper itself. I charge it once every 3 months just to make sure its always charged up.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Your around nine years from a Toyota OEM battery is amazing, given what has been reported on this forum! Good that the portable battery booster did its job when you needed it. I don't have one but since I have my battery capacity checked each time my RAV is serviced and I check it myself I hope to be tipped off about an impending failure before it causes a problem.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I had a portable battery jumper but it finally died last year. Kind of forgot about it but I guess I need to start looking for another. Glad yours was able to come to the rescue.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Don't have one. Before the battery die on my car, there were symptoms I noticed. Like clicking noise when trying to crank. Or not start today, but some how tomorrow it would. Does this before I leave for work. So I knew it needed replacement. Plus I had to jump it 2x. Then I really knew it's time.

What about these?
A little overkill? I like the small size.
http://thepowerall.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=304_305

·
Super Moderator
10,128 Posts
These days there are two types:

The older "traditional" ones have sealed lead-acid batteries and often include air compressors, 12V outlets and even 120VAC inverters. I have two of them. One saved me by pumping up a low tire on the Alaskan Highway. The issue with them is the batteries need replacement every few years. They are relatively big and heavy.

A new type uses a much smaller and lighter lithium ion battery and a short often detachable pair of jumper cables. They usually have an LED flashlight and a 5V usb charger but are designed primarily for jump starting motorcycles and cars. I have one such which I used several times on my Accord as it's battery was dying. The Powerall linked to is a good brand which can be bought for $80 on eBay, etc. I'll probably pick up another $40-50 one for the RAV4.

With many cars now having auto-off headlights the need for boosters has been lessened considerably.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Nekteck Multifunction Car Jump Starter Portable Power Bank External Battery Charger 600A Peak with 16800mAh - Emergency Auto Jump Starter for Truck Van SUV Laptop Smartphone USB Device and More
by Nekteck
Link: http://amzn.com/B00MG687JW

Was playing with my radio with the ACC on, ran the battery down. Had this in the trunk from over the summer, it jumped me. Probably need to bring it in and let it charge over night, one day.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Got this recently and used it to preserve computer settings while I replaced my 5 year old OEM Toyota battery that was getting low on CCA.

I saw a article in Car & Driver where they used it to start several cars with dead batteries. It also has two USB ports.

Got it on Amazon.

Tom

·
Registered
268 Posts
And for our modern computerized cars, it's a lot safer than jumper cables.
The way I heard it is the load from starting a car with a dead battery can pull down the voltage and mess with the running car's computers.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
My Rwd car has been sitting in a snow bank for several weeks. Went to start it the other day and it was dead. Threw a battery charger on it and she fired up. Moved the car and the next time I went to start it, it was dead again. The weather has been nice and the roads clear so I figure I would drive her to work. Charge on, started, backed into the garage and charger back on the battery.

i thought of this thread and wanted to carry a spare jumper pack, in case it didn't start again. I currently don't have a jump pack, my last one died and I have yet to replace it. Instead, I have a deep cycle marine battery in a plastic battery box. Dug it out of the shed and threw it on the floor in the backseat. And of course a set of jumper cables. Boy one of those new small Li jumper packs would have been nice. The marine battery is 40 ish pounds.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
My Rwd car has been sitting in a snow bank for several weeks. Went to start it the other day and it was dead. Threw a battery charger on it and she fired up. Moved the car and the next time I went to start it, it was dead again.
Sounds like you need a new battery.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts