Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a good small SUV for my daughter. She just got her license and will be paying half the car payments on it... so i want to keep the price down but also get state of the art safety features. I have never owned a Toyota (except for my wife having a Lexus 10 years ago and loved it), but have been a long time Ford and Honda owner. I have looked at the Escape (poor safety ratings) and CR-V and Tucson. I like the CR-V and Tucson... as they seem pretty up to date with safety features and both get great safety ratings... BUT, one of the things I dislike is they both make the high tech safety features available ONLY the top trim level... which gets into mid $30's in price. My daughter does not need all the bells and whistles on the car... The two things my wife and I want are all the safety features and navigation.

If I understand correctly, the RAV4 makes the top of the line safety features (front vehicle and pedestrian sensing and braking, lane change alerts, blind spot alerts, mirrors with turn signals, etc.) available on all but the lowest trim level as an option... is this correct? If I understand the web site correctly, getting an XLE with the convenience package will get me all of the safety features available on any trim level RAv4, as well as navigation, right? is there ANYTHING at all safety-wise that I would be missing? Or is everything above that in trim levels all luxury and hybrid related?

Is the front sensing and braking feature all it is marketed to be?

There are 0% financing and $750 cash back offers... I don't see anywhere saying they cant be combined... am I off base shooting for 10% off MSRP of $32K - 750 + tax, tags, doc fee out the door and financed at 0% for 60 mo?

Also, is there any link to put in a VIN # and see window sticker? Dealer web sites are terrible at being clear about what options a vehicle has.

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am very impressed with the front sensing and breaking feature. In fact I think it's a little too effective, but I haven't researched a way to turn it down. The blind spot feature and collision avoidance systems work well, too.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
If safety is your main concern, it's also good to note that toyota only implemented the structural changes to pass the small overlap crash test on the drivers side. The passenger side has not been reinforced.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Some thoughts on brake sensing. First it is adjustable, and based on some discussion here on line, ours is turned down to the lower (of I think three) settings. It has never come into play for myself or my wife, however, one night at dinner, my 17 tear old daughter says...Dad, does that new car somehow brake by itself? Well, right there I figured it may have earned its keep.

As to pricing, if you can get 10%, you will have done a great job. I do a lot of homework and try to bargain hard and couldn't get more than a bit past 7 in my market, but the model was new at the time and some horsetrading had to happen to get it from another dealer. The ability to bargain varies a lot with the market and timing so it could happen if the stars line up right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the feedback...

Is there a thread on here about differences between 2016 and 2017 models? Are there any?

Also, hard to tell on web site, but is an XLE with convenience package exactly the same as a Hybrid XLE with convenience package, as far as features and safety items go? Seems like it only adds $900 for the hybrid option... any drawbacks?

Any way to get window sticker for a VIN?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would appreciate any feedback on the three questions in my last post...

Thank you for you help!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I can only comment on the 2017s. I do not believe that there are significant changes other than the addition of the Platinum trim which adds heated steering wheel, foot sensed rear hatch, smart key sensing on all 4 doors and some upgraded paint trim. Looks like the SE model is gone from the web site as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Toyota Safety Sense is available on all 2017 models. Only the 2016 Limited model has TSS-P:

Toyota Safety Sense (TSS-P)TM – includes
Pre-Collision System w/Pedestrian
Detection (PCS/PD),11 Lane Departure Alert
w/Steering Assist (LDA/SA),12 Automatic
High Beams (AHB)13 & Dynamic Radar Cruise
Control14

1 - 8 of 8 Posts