Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The seats in my 2009 are pitiful - no lumbar support; and if I rake them back enough to allow my head to not be pushed forward (giving me a headache), then my lower pelvis area (injured many years ago) are loaded and pained. Would something like the (heracy, I know) Nissan "Zero gravity seats" possibley fit? If not, what are your((non- attacking) suggestions"

·
Super Moderator
11,113 Posts
Moved to correct area. How about an auto upholstery shop? They could rebuild them to suit you.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
The seats in my 2009 are pitiful - no lumbar support; and if I rake them back enough to allow my head to not be pushed forward (giving me a headache), then my lower pelvis area (injured many years ago) are loaded and pained. Would something like the (heracy, I know) Nissan "Zero gravity seats" possibley fit? If not, what are your((non- attacking) suggestions"
All you really need is the power driver's seat from a 2009-2012 Limited model. That will give you more adjustments as well as lumbar support.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
junebug has the right idea...go test drive a limited and see how the seats feel...used ones can be found for a couple hundred bucks...

·
Registered
207 Posts
All you really need is the power driver's seat from a 2009-2012 Limited model. That will give you more adjustments as well as lumbar support.
JuneBug,

I respectfully disagree. Sort of. I have those seats in my '11 Ltd. Yes, there are more adjustments and lumbar support. That's an improvement. However, they still are not great seats, especially for folks with back problems (my wife) and sciatica (me).

As y'all know, I loathe the BMW X3. That said, the M Sport seats were to die for. We often joked that we bought the car for the seats. We miss them terribly. The bolsters were perfect and the bottom cushion had an adjustable thigh support. Oh baby!:thumbs_up:

In my quest for replacement seats I first looked at the aftermarket. I've had Recaro, Scheel and Konig seats (with a Simpson 4-point harness) in past cars. Yup, they're costly. But there are cheaper aftermarket seats.

Next, I looked at the Lexus 350 seats (a luxury version of the RAV?). Then I looked at 4.4 seats. They feel and look better. I even went to a showroom with a tape measure and measured the base to see if they would fit my 4.3. Sadly, I misplaced the measurements.:doh:

As for the 4.4 seats, the parts person told me that Toyota will not sell them apart from the car. Look for a wreck? Lexus seats can be had on ebay. They ain't cheap. But whatever seat one chooses, it has to fit the mounting holes in the 4.3 floor pan. That's the place to start. I'll keep you posted.

Happy New Year,
mlrav

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not to be forgotten, if I'm correct, our front seats have a mechanism to lock a headrest in case of rear end accident. I would love to have front seats from a Lexus.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Not to be forgotten, if I'm correct, our front seats have a mechanism to lock a headrest in case of rear end accident. I would love to have front seats from a Lexus.
I think the headrest actually moves forward (to prevent whiplash) in the event of an accident...not totally sure tho...they call it an active headrest...

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think the headrest actually moves forward (to prevent whiplash) in the event of an accident...not totally sure tho...they call it an active headrest...
Thanks folks. I didn't know that. Speaking of RAV headrests, my wife hates them. My interim "solution" is to reverse the driver's seat headrest.:doh: I'll do almost anything to stop her complaining. Since my "solution" is stupid, not to mention dangerous, I'll keep looking for another seat.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i remember the fox body gt mustangs had sweet headrests from 87-89 or 90...they tilted so you could have it like the rav and almost touch your head or tilt it back for more hair/hat clearance...

·
Registered
419 Posts
We have a 2008 RAV4 Limited v6, leather seating is adequate for our short frames.
Only drivers side is full power.
- but our old 2002 Volvo V70 wagon, sure had nicer leather seats / from an earlier accident rebuild
- they came out of a Volvo XC90, bolted right up / v70 and xc90 had same floor pans

Our son picked up a new 2015 Lexus RX350 - night and day comfort, compared to our Toyota.
- maybe phone the auto wreckers / but don't know if the bold pattern, will match during install
- find premium seats, and make a paper template to transfer over / for comparing seat frames
Both seats are full power & real comfy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts