Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out the hard way yesterday that it's possible to lock yourself out of the car. :wall Maybe others already knew this, but I'm curious if my car is behaving normally or not. I have a Limited with the SmartKey, by the way. The car was turned off and both of the driver's side doors were open. The keys were in the front cup holder. I hit the power lock button on the (open) driver's side door. [I guess I've always assumed (and obviously didn't confirm) that hitting the power lock button with the keys in the car would only lock the closed doors.] I then closed each of the driver's side doors and viola, my keys were locked in the car. Should this have happened? I tested it again tonight at home (where I had the spare handy) and it did the same thing. I was always under the impression that the car would not lock with the SmartKey in the car. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
424 Posts
But with the smart key within proximity, can't you just pull on the handle to unlock/open the door?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. None of the doors or the back door would open. Trust me, I tried numerous times. I think I was in denial that I managed to lock them in the car since I thought it was impossible.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Just asking because the only time I had a smartkey was when a friend let me her Ford Edge, which I had trouble operating!

So you had all other doors closed except for the front driver side door and what you did was press the power lock on the open driver side door to lock all other doors and subsequently proceeded to shut this driver side door close only to find out that now all doors are locked?

Is there a difference which side of the car the smartkey is on (inside or outside)?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Internalaudit, yes, what you said is accurate, except that I had both the front AND BACK driver side doors open when I pressed the power lock on the open driver side door. I then closed the front drivers side door and a few minutes later, shut the back driver side door.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts