Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2010 RAV4 that I really love driving:). Yesterday, my family and myself experienced something strange and scary while stopped at a light. As i proceeded to release the brakes, the engine started to rev or accelerate, naturally i began to pump my brakes to avoid ramming into the car in front of me. I had to shift the gear into park and momentarily turned off the engine, before started it up again. Luckily, the car behind me was paying attention as he could have rear ended me. I was reluctant to re-start the engine, but had to because of the traffic behind me. Anyways, we made it home alive. i plan to take a visit to Toyota ASAP. :eek:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Sorry that this happened to you.

If it should ever happen again, park the vehicle immediately and have it towed to the dealer. There is a "black box" that has a memory of the last few minutes of the engine's operation. They will be able to tell what was going on with the engine and all of the systems.

·
Registered
543 Posts
And how old are you? The statistical analysis of previous "unintended acceleration" of toyotas and other cars point towards inept drivers rather than a mechanical/electrical problem, with issues appearing overwhelmingly for over 65 year old people.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I agree with the on board computer download. You should be able to easily see what the RPM was at a given time, when the brakes were applied etc. I also think Toyota employs the brake pedal disengage feature now on most modles. Where if you touch the brake pedal the accelerator function shuts down. You should also call the NHTSA, or the TSB in Canada...becuse they have been looking for an example of SA now since 2008, and there has yet to be one example of a Toyota vehicle with this problem, anywhere in the world...not one. So maybe you have the first Toyota with this problem.Keep us updated.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The original post states that the engine started to rev after releasing the brake pedal, but before there was any contact with the accelerator pedal. Unless the pedal was already stuck in position, my only question is did the engine start revving while your foot was on the brake, or was the idle already high when you first released the accelerator to get onto the brakes?

If the answer is the former, then it sounds like you could have the sticky accelerator pedal issue. If it's the latter, then that sounds electronic.

·
Registered
8,064 Posts
Don't know about the Canadian situation, but extensive testing by Toyota and the U.S.'s NHTSA of Toyotas which exhibited supposedly unintentional acceleration have revealed that there was no mechanical, programming, or other electrical problem, as in the report: www.nhtsa.gov/UA

At least some of the reported incidents were faked. Some in the legal profession apparently saw lots of $ signs by means of lawsuits against Toyota.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,511 Posts
The Smart Stop system will lower the engine speed if the brake and accelerator pedals are pushed simultaneously. However, this system wasn't added to the RAV4 until the 2011 model year.

As to the EDR (Event Data Recorder), or black box, it only records the last few seconds of data before the airbag sensor detects a crash. If there is no crash, the data is continually refreshed. Some interesting stuff here:

What's Wrong With Toyota's Black Boxes? | The Truth About Cars

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a 2010 RAV4 that I really love driving:). Yesterday, my family and myself experienced something strange and scary while stopped at a light. As i proceeded to release the brakes, the engine started to rev or accelerate, naturally i began to pump my brakes to avoid ramming into the car in front of me. I had to shift the gear into park and momentarily turned off the engine, before started it up again. Luckily, the car behind me was paying attention as he could have rear ended me. I was reluctant to re-start the engine, but had to because of the traffic behind me. Anyways, we made it home alive. i plan to take a visit to Toyota ASAP. :eek:
We are now in 2014 and I had the same experience. After the first incident I drove the car to the dealer's service since it seemed OK. "No codes were found, all controls working fine at this time." The next comment: "CAUSE: SSC BST, ELSBOS UPDATE ECM SOFTWARE AND INSTALL UPDATE LAGEL 2463WTTRC." I don't know what it means. Took the car home and 6 days later had the same problem. This time I was treated as a suspected malingerer though I was not asking for anything but to have the car inspected and the problem fixed. I was given the same "official" version of the only possible cause: sticky matt or drivers' error. The FTS sat next to me while we went around the building and reported NO FAILURE OR ISSUES EVIDENT AT THIS TIME. I have been driving the car since then but keeping away from the car in front and ready to put the car on neutral if it does it again. I can only describe my experience as being in a Disney movie when the friendly and happy Toyota Nation turns into the inaccessible frozen castle as soon as the word "acceleration" is mentioned. Everyone, including the person who schedules the service immediately goes into the legal defense team mode with a seemingly wonton disregard for anyone's safety. I am hoping that there are other car manufacturers out there who care about what happens on the road.

·
Registered
403 Posts
We are now in 2014 and I had the same experience. After the first incident I drove the car to the dealer's service since it seemed OK. "No codes were found, all controls working fine at this time." The next comment: "CAUSE: SSC BST, ELSBOS UPDATE ECM SOFTWARE AND INSTALL UPDATE LAGEL 2463WTTRC." I don't know what it means. Took the car home and 6 days later had the same problem. This time I was treated as a suspected malingerer though I was not asking for anything but to have the car inspected and the problem fixed. I was given the same "official" version of the only possible cause: sticky matt or drivers' error. The FTS sat next to me while we went around the building and reported NO FAILURE OR ISSUES EVIDENT AT THIS TIME. I have been driving the car since then but keeping away from the car in front and ready to put the car on neutral if it does it again. I can only describe my experience as being in a Disney movie when the friendly and happy Toyota Nation turns into the inaccessible frozen castle as soon as the word "acceleration" is mentioned. Everyone, including the person who schedules the service immediately goes into the legal defense team mode with a seemingly wonton disregard for anyone's safety. I am hoping that there are other car manufacturers out there who care about what happens on the road.
I had the same thing happen to my 09 base I4 some weeks ago. While at a stop sign the engine started racing and lurching forward into oncoming traffic. I had to "stand " on the brakes in order to avoid an accident. When I posted this on this forum some members accused me of stepping on the gas instead of the brake and should have my driving license revoked. I was to beginning to wonder about my driving abilities until 2 other forum members reported the exact same problem as did you. That makes 4 of us so far with 09 or 10 RAV4s.
There is something seriously wrong with the 09 and 10 RAV4 and my Toyota dealer is playing dumb about the problem.
I'm about to report this to the Feds unless Toyota admits there is a problem and does something about it before someone is killed or seriously injured.
I had the free Smart Stop Technology installed by the dealer and so far I have had no more lurching forward while at a stop. But I just don't trust this vehicle any longer.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
I experienced this on my wife's RAV4 two times. After the second event, I realized I was two-footing it. My left foot was barely on the brake when I began to press the gas. The RAV lurched forward, at an even greater rate than if I had just pressed the gas the same amount without having my foot on the brake.

Newer vehicles give the brake pedal preference. If the brake is pressed, the engine will not accelerate.

·
Registered
403 Posts
It is too late. The Feds have already decided that other than pedal entrapment by floor mats, it is driver error:

It's All Your Fault: The DOT Renders Its Verdict on Toyota's Unintended-Acceleration Scare – Feature – Car and Driver
If you believe everything the Federal Government tells you I have some ocean front property in Arizona I would like to sell you.
I'm not the only one that has experienced this "ghost" in the 09 and 10 RAV4s. I'm beginning to suspect you may be an attorney for Toyota...everyone is crazy except you of course.:)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion but I have already had the upgrade installed. From what I've read about the upgrade, it does nothing under 5MPH which will do nothing from stopping the vehicle from lurching forward and the engine reving up while at a dead stop with one's RIGHT foot firmly on the brake which is the scenario experienced by other owners, not just me. I suppose, according to rav4two, we are all crazy.:shrug:

·
Registered
403 Posts
I experienced this on my wife's RAV4 two times. After the second event, I realized I was two-footing it. My left foot was barely on the brake when I began to press the gas. The RAV lurched forward, at an even greater rate than if I had just pressed the gas the same amount without having my foot on the brake.

Newer vehicles give the brake pedal preference. If the brake is pressed, the engine will not accelerate.
I have never two-footed. My left foot is always firmly on the floor and tucked in close to the bottom of the seat. I do, however, thank you for your constructive input which is more than I can say about some other forum members.:)

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
If you believe everything the Federal Government tells you I have some ocean front property in Arizona I would like to sell you.
I'm not the only one that has experienced this "ghost" in the 09 and 10 RAV4s. I'm beginning to suspect you may be an attorney for Toyota...everyone is crazy except you of course.:)
I know I am not crazy. I am not an attorney, and I do not work for Toyota. I am, however, someone who takes responsibilities for my actions, mistakes or not, and hold others to the same standard.

You are driving a vehicle with components that can be tested. There is no "ghost" in the machine. The electronics have been tested being bombarded by radio frequency interference, in various temperatures and environmental conditions. **NEVER ONCE** did the throttle mechanism behave improperly when subjected to conditions that could possibly be experienced in the vehicle.

Your Rav was designed by skilled engineers. Other skilled engineers did the testing. If you are not a skilled engineer but have such a distrust of skilled engineers, you probably should probably start driving a very old vehicle and stop using the internet to access car forums. Speaking of which, I would bet you don't even begin to know the dangers of being on the internet.

Don't blindly denigrate those who present facts to you. Humans are not infallible and make many physical movement mistakes. The difference is that some people see the results of scientifically valid testing, accept that and take responsibility, while others do not.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Great..... Another UIA debate...... Let the games begin!

When there is a claim that the engine surges and ya have to "stand on the brakes" with the TSB installed, it lacks a modicum of credibility....especially since the firmware upgrade disallows throttling while "standing on the brakes"

If this is truly real then those making this new claim have a moral responsibility to raise the alarm publicly through the media outlets and save lives. Start with CNN and MSNBC as they will run with any headline catching claims.

So, thrash the UIA around - again but it will likely boil down to pilot error just like the last one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts