Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Nice vehicle! Are those the factory roof rack cross bars? A dashcam? like GoPro?
The lengthwise bars come with the car. The sideways bars were added by the dealer.

Yes, the dash cam is similar to gopro, but made for recording traffic. It starts automatically and deletes the oldest files when the memory card is full. It also overlays some text, indicating the time and speed. The speed is derived from GPS, which is also logged in some kind of mapping files. It's called a BlackVue, if you're interested.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Off topic, but why specifically did you choose the BlackVue? Just curious.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Off topic, but why specifically did you choose the BlackVue? Just curious.

BlackVue is considered to be one of the best dashcams on the market. There are a few different models with duel camera capability. They offer a great picture, good software support and they are compact. I have been considering the Blackvue, but I have also heard a lot of negative reviews of the camera dying over a years use. They aren't cheap, $380.

I am also considering the KDLINKS X1.

I have had a handful of other dash cams from the cheap to the moderately priced over the past 5 years. Don't go with the cheap and do your research.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yeah, I know it's a well rated brand, and it's been on my list of possibilities (as one of our local shops sells it), but I'm still curious as to specifically why this one was chosen. But perhaps I should start a new thread.

·
Registered
218 Posts
LED Fog lights by Lumens. Also all the interior lights are LED (hard to show).

Just got 3M film installed today on my hood and upper fenders. The installer is a pro (that's all he does for a living) and said the Pro series 3M film is not easy to use. The backing is different and he's had problems running it through is printer to cut the panels for different cars so he's only using the original stuff.

P.S. Gas in my area just dropped to $0.749/l !

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
And what is it used for?
To document a car accident, road rage, BS ticket, hit and and run...video is hard to dispute in the court of law. I haven't had to use any of my videos, but I have had friends who used it to support their story in a car accident and a BS red light ticket. The Blackvue adds a high quality 2 channel camera and can record 24-7 while parked. You can set it to record all movements and/or any impacts. Someone backs into your car or gives you a door ding while parked in a parking lot, most likely you will capture them and their liciends plate in the act.

·
Registered
20 Posts
...I added a dashcam.
And what is it used for?
I had a dashcam installed in my 2012 Plug-In Prius.
Someone backed into my car while I was outside the vehicle- I supplied the dashcam video (which clearly showed his vehicle rear window full/covered with snow with his backup lights on moving towards me and my vehicle stopped/parked and me walking outside the vehicle across the front of the car to the curb on the passenger side- then my vehicle lurching sideways when he impacted my car) to the other driver's insurance co... they settled in full the same day I submitted it.

That dashcam saved me a lot of arguing with his insurance co... video don't lie!

·
Registered
270 Posts
With stock wheels:

With aftermarket wheels:

Stock 18" wheel (with OEM 235/55R18 all season tires):

Aftermarket 17" wheel (and 215/65R17 winter tires):

Cinnamon interior:

Cargo space with OEM RAV4 Hybrid-specific cargo tray:

Our RAV4 Hybrid with its older cousin, the Prius Plug-in:

Reactions: Langutah

·
Registered
52 Posts
The front camera for LDA records video which Toyota can retrieve in the event of a crash. Don't blame you for wanting your own camera though and not all Ravs have the LDA system.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The front camera for LDA records video which Toyota can retrieve in the event of a crash. Don't blame you for wanting your own camera though and not all Ravs have the LDA system.
So, Toyota is secretly recording video of my driving and not allowing me access to it? :surprise

·
Registered
68 Posts
Damn I love that blue. Looked for it but there wasn't a blue hybrid in San Diego.
There was one at Toyota of Orange 2 weeks ago. I found out from this forum how to search.

First you go to autotrader.com and narrow the search down as close as you can. Then you go to google and search for the dealership that has the car, and click on their "new inventory" button. Then you can see the exact car and get more details about it.

That's how I found mine in Culver City, which was a 5 1/2 hour drive for me. If I was patient and waited another week, the exact same car was for sale just an hour or so drive away.

I see there's a blue limited hybrid in Yuma, AZ. It would probably be weird to buy out of state though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would put the stock wheels back on, they look so less cheesy.
He didn't buy a new set of rims just for looks, he bought a separate set of rims for his winter tires so his tire guys didn't have to torch-remove the tires from a single rim. Both of his tires maintain more integrity that way. Plus it's cheaper in the long run since you don't have to pay a fee to get a tire on new rims every seasonal change.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts