Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posting pictures of Unorthodox underdrive crankshaft pulley...neat piece, 2000 Neon tower strut bar modified to fit Cubby, and handbuilt $323.95 value MSD 8.5 mm spark plug wires.

The Unorthodox pulley was a pain to put on. Had to pull both undertray covers, flywheel cover, take right front wheel off, power steering bolts (not much fun) crank pulley bolt REALLY!!! tight. This is a nice part. Unorthodox even gives you the new Gates belt #. However, I did drill and tap two holes for future removal.

Son's hand-me-down 2000 Neon strut brace took a little modifying. I put extensions on inside rear bases. Drilled two new holes in each base and added a little extra diagonal bracing. The part was inexpensive originally, I think less than $20.00, and it looks cool, too.

These spark plug wires are basically handbuilt, using all the old hardware from the 5 mm wires, boring out the phenolic tubes on lathe, enlarging holes in tube boots, coil caps and seals, etc. 6 hours labor plus $83.95 equals $323.95 and a lot of b***s*** from the seller.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Great mods, good job! :thumbs_up:

It is nice to see another member here that is willing to adapt other parts from donor cars to make a mod. work. The strut tower bar and pulley look great. I too had to modify my spark plug wires when I got them because they were way too long for my RAV. My seller also told me that that is how they are made and was unwilling to take them back. I had to cut and crimp them back together to the right length. :roll:

Victor, I also edited your topic title so that it is easier for others to see that this topic is about posting pictures of your mods. :D

·
Registered
10,298 Posts
Looks Great. We just need your driving test opinion. Question

Like Pancake asked;

1. Is their any advance in performance?
2. How much did you torque the pulley bolts down?
3. Part, part number and cost.
4. The level of difficulty [I express it in RAV4. 1 RAV4 being easy, 5 RAV4 being very difficult]

You should document any exterior part that are adapted for the guys on the forum. That is very important. [pictures, procedure so on, if you like] This is just my opinion of doing things. It has benefited everyone in the forum. Also, you won't get a ton of Emails asking questions. Believe me they come from all over the world in many languages.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Answering mod questions

Yes there does appear to be more power, and most notable a quicker throttle response, my wife says I am almost running over people when accelerating of a stop light.
Unorthodox guarantee's 7 HP & up to 11HP.after computer normalizes.
Pully bolt torque is 140 ft lbs.
Unorthodox Rav4 96-00 pully Pt # is 02.12.101.02 I bought it through Mark1 motorsports on ebay.
Level of difficulty is about a 2, just follow the directions in a Haynes service manual, hardest part is loosening & tightening the power steering bolts, you need a handfull of misc. 9/16 or the mm equivalent open & box end wrenches and a little time.
A tower strut bar keeps unibody constructed vehicles from flexing under hard cornering, I am thinking about racing in some Autocross events later on, and the strut bar looks cool and was free so I thought I would try and make it fit. :D

http://www.mach1car.com/index.aspx :cheers:

vicco27.......Keep Rollin.

·
Registered
654 Posts
can u check to see what size of tubing is used for the strut tower brace?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As I said in the earlier post, it's an aftermarket, manufactured, hand me down, 2000 Neon strut bar that I re-did the end mounts on to hook up to the RAV4 towers. I moved the anchor points from both the tower mount and moved the strut brace mounts on the anchor plate. The tower brace to strut bar are 1/2" heim joints. The strut bar is a somewhat flattened tube 1 1/2" by about 3/4" with a slight curvature. Basically you could do the same thing with some 1" round tubing, a couple of heim joints, some plate to cut the mounts for the towers out of, and a couple of pieces of flat strap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts