Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently in the market for a CUV for the Mrs. after she had her car totaled on Christmas Eve. We're down to choosing between the CR-V and Rav4, but have one concern with the Rav4. I figured this would be the best place to ask. I've seen online quite a few complaints about the side view mirrors/blind spots and even on car lots I've seen stick on mirrors on used models. Is this a flaw on the Rav4s or has it been corrected in newer models. Safety and reliability are our #1 priorities when choosing a vehicle.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
First I've ever heard of this. If the mirrors are adjusted properly then there is no problem. Frankly either choice would be a good one.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
Interesting question. When we bought our RAV4 used it had them on it. The young salesman said I can take those old-folks mirrors off for you. I said leave them on. Saved me from adding them which is the first thing I do to ALL cars I buy, including my current Accord and the six other Hondas I've owned. Just a little added safety feature. Besides when I get too old to drive I may actually need them.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I don't find it any different than any other cuv. It's quite honestly the first I've ever heard that as well and I'm on here every day for the past 3 years. Most people adjust their side mirrors wrong anyway. The blind spot monitor does work flawlessly though but obviously you don't rely solely on that, it is just another safety tool. Perhaps the ones you are seeing with extra mirrors have them there for towing.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I added small convex mirrors on my 2015 RAV4 when I had mine. I was used to having them on my Sienna as it was a large vehicle, it became a habit to use them. If anything, it does the same job as a blind spot monitor for under $3. I never had issues with blind spots on the RAV more than any other car.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I don't find it any different than any other cuv. It's quite honestly the first I've ever heard that as well and I'm on here every day for the past 3 years. Most people adjust their side mirrors wrong anyway. The blind spot monitor does work flawlessly though but obviously you don't rely solely on that, it is just another safety tool. Perhaps the ones you are seeing with extra mirrors have them there for towing.
Not me. When you are making a 90 left turn like into a driveway, it is the mirrors themselves that create a blind spot. They are a bit too massive and when combined with the pillar post you literally lose the sight of the road you are turning into briefly. Poor design IMO, and all the Subaru guys use that in their sales pitch as it's know in the industry the Subaru's give you far better vision (both Forester and Outback).
I've gotten used to it, but I sure as heck noticed it. Going straight down the road and even changing lanes on freeway (typical blind spots most think of) is not the issue at all.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have no mayor complains with our 2016 rav4 xle, but the mirrors, don't like the included blind spot. The new CR-V is really nice to pass on, we had a 2013 before the Rav4.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. I went and test drove a few 16 Rav4 XLE's, seems they've added this convex mirror into it from the factory. Dealership talked me into taking one overnight so far we both like it, but I don't think this one is right for us. Its a 16 fleet/rental w/ 26,000 miles for 23.9K seems a bit on the higher side when a new one with incentives are running 25.9K.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I went and test drove a few 16 Rav4 XLE's, seems they've added this convex mirror into it from the factory. Dealership talked me into taking one overnight so far we both like it, but I don't think this one is right for us. Its a 16 fleet/rental w/ 26,000 miles for 23.9K seems a bit on the higher side when a new one with incentives are running 25.9K.
Because Toyota's resale value, used prices don't drop that much especially with their so-named "certified" label. In my case I rather spend a bit more and buy new.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Because Toyota's resale value, used prices don't drop that much especially with their so-named "certified" label. In my case I rather spend a bit more and buy new.
Exactly, This was a CPO. I wasn't overly impressed with the dealership. At first when we went to talk numbers, they had tacked on so many add-on's the car was pushing over $30K. $4300+ for (7 year/100K warranty, GAP, Maintenance ect). Oddly enough too I had 10K to put down that they didn't want, told me to keep it and finance the whole deal (First dealer to ever to tell me that?). Probably wasn't smart of me to be pressure enough to bring it home for a night (First time buying a new/almost new car. Usually pay cash for so so cars), I'm taking it back in the morning and walking. The search continues.

·
Registered
932 Posts
NEW 2017 Toyota RAV4
Stock #:T129040 855-324-7856 FitzWay Low Price at FitzMall.comCompare At [?]$24,513
Freight + $940
FitzWay Low Price$25,453*
NEW 2017 Toyota
Body Style: XLE AWD (Model#: 4442)
Color: MAGNETIC GRAY / BLACK
VIN: JTMRFREV2HJ129040 / Trans: Automatic w/OD
Map/Directions
22 cityVehicle Miles per Gallon 29 hwy
MSRP: $29,638
Invoice: $28,248
$4,185 Below MSRP
2/25/2017
Inventory Search Page - New and Used Cars | Fitzgerald Auto Mall

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
My policy for high resale cars like Toyota and Honda is either buy new, or used with 100,000+ miles. Even did that with my two Ford trucks, both bought right at 100K. (They're at 213K and 229K now.)

I did violate it with the RAV4, around 66K to get the V6, and then with the Accord, 52K for the V6+electric, but did about a month search for both to get them for nearly half new price, $15K each.

No way I'd buy a year-old car to save even $3K on a $25-30K new one.

Reactions: DavidFL

·
Registered
160 Posts
Oddly enough too I had 10K to put down that they didn't want, told me to keep it and finance the whole deal (First dealer to ever to tell me that?)

The more you finance more % points they collect. I put 7k towards a 2013 CR-V and got 1% APR. of course it depends on your credit score.

I believe Toyota is having a 0% APR for 72months during this month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
428 Posts
Exactly, This was a CPO. I wasn't overly impressed with the dealership. At first when we went to talk numbers, they had tacked on so many add-on's the car was pushing over $30K. $4300+ for (7 year/100K warranty, GAP, Maintenance ect). Oddly enough too I had 10K to put down that they didn't want, told me to keep it and finance the whole deal (First dealer to ever to tell me that?). Probably wasn't smart of me to be pressure enough to bring it home for a night (First time buying a new/almost new car. Usually pay cash for so so cars), I'm taking it back in the morning and walking. The search continues.
I would strongly suggest to steer clear of that dealer! They are tying to milk you for every last dime in finance charges with 0 down, and that warranty price is pathetic. I absolutely would not trust one word they say. Far better deals out there on new for just a bit more IMO.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Sent you a PM.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts