Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've just spent the day at my local Toyota dealership and wanted to alert others of this issue. Last week, I noticed two watermarks/stains in the headliner above my 2019 RAV4 Adventure's front passenger door (at the A pillar and at the assist handle above the door). I was able to spot the stains due to the fact that the car wash that I use has a blue dye formulated into their soap, which resulted in a light blue stain as it leaked through to the headliner; otherwise, the discoloration to the beige headliner would likely have been so subtle that it would have been missed. I stopped by the Service Department last Saturday and arranged today's appointment.

At the initial inspection, the service writer stated that the leak appeared to be located near the attachment point of the factory-installed roof rack and that it should be investigated. In today's service visit, they confirmed that there is a leak in the roof and determined that the car is unsafe to drive, as the side airbag has been damaged by the leaking water; therefore, I was given a loaner until the necessary repairs have been completed.

The service writer volunteered that he has seen this before on the new RAV4's (not sure if he was referring to the Adventure model, specifically); but, he states that he doesn't know of any current TSB's related to the issue. I would suggest that others carefully examine your headliner for evidence of leaks. FYI, mine was built in July 2019, in Canada.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I have a 19 Adventure built in Japan, I believe in March 2019. I haven't seen any leaks yet and I actually removed the headliner a few months ago to run cabling for a rear cam. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

I do wonder if it could be the faulty gaskets around the sunroof (if you have one) or the clogged drain lines in the sunroof. I had a previous car that had clogged sunroof drain lines every once in a while (mainly due to this nasty rubbish tree I parked under at work).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads up. I have a 19 Adventure built in Japan, I believe in March 2019. I haven't seen any leaks yet and I actually removed the headliner a few months ago to run cabling for a rear cam. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

I do wonder if it could be the faulty gaskets around the sunroof (if you have one) or the clogged drain lines in the sunroof. I had a previous car that had clogged sunroof drain lines every once in a while (mainly due to this nasty rubbish tree I parked under at work).
Glad to hear that all's well with yours. I heard back from the dealership today and Toyota will be repairing the leak (I do have the moonroof, but the leak is located at the roof rail; thanks for the suggestion though) and replacing the affected airbag along with the headliner.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Where is the leak? One of the bolt penetrations in the roof? Is there supposed to be a gasket or some sort of sealant?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where is the leak? One of the bolt penetrations in the roof? Is there supposed to be a gasket or some sort of sealant?
Good questions. I don't have specific details about the leak; but, will post an update when I get the car back next week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi there. I work in one of the plants that builds the RAV4.
I can almost 100% guarantee that it is indeed from your roof rail, despite what others are suggesting here.

There are a series of plastic pins that connect the roof rail to the roof itself. Those pins have been failing like mad. There have been fit issues with the rails, issues with those pins getting crushed upon install, the gaskets not fitting correctly, etc. The issues have been rectified now, but it was a big problem that kept popping-up with this new generation of RAV4's. This isn't exclusive to the Adventure models - it was happening with both styles of roof rails.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I can almost 100% guarantee that it is indeed from your roof rail, despite what others are suggesting here.

There are a series of plastic pins that connect the roof rail to the roof itself. Those pins have been failing like mad. There have been fit issues with the rails, issues with those pins getting crushed upon install, the gaskets not fitting correctly, etc. The issues have been rectified now, but it was a big problem that kept popping-up with this new generation of RAV4's. This isn't exclusive to the Adventure models - it was happening with both styles of roof rails.
Thanks much for the heads up and for your insight into this issue! It sounds like you have much more information about this than has been shared with me throughout the repair process (my car's been in the shop for 10 days now).

Initially, I was told that they "would need the car for a couple of days...", then I was advised that the completion date was being pushed back due to staffing issues related to pre-scheduled training for the technicians, time required for headliner and airbag replacement, etc. Three days ago, I was advised that "the technician assigned to the repairs wasn't aware that the pins used to secure the replacement airbag (that was being replaced due to water-damage from the leak) could not be re-used and that the replacement pins were on backorder from their warehouse...". Needless to say, this apparent oversight has not instilled a great deal of confidence. I'm now being told that they're "hoping" to have it finished on Monday or Tuesday.

My concern now is that, in the absence of a TSB that would specify guidance to assess and address the issues that you've seen first-hand, I'm wondering how likely it is that this dealership's technical staff would be able to identify and repair the myriad of listed problems, let alone, anticipate future failures due to the production/parts issues that you describe. Hopefully, a TSB will be forthcoming to formally address the problem(s) that you've shared (and/or any related problems that might subsequently present themselves before the odometer turns over 36K).

Again, thanks very much for contributing to the conversation and for sharing your unique perspective on the issue! Much appreciated!!!

·
Registered
2019 Toyota RAV4 Adventure, 2017 Ford Fusion Sport, 1989 Toyota Celica Convertible
18 Posts

Thanks for your honesty and hard work with building these cars. I am overall pleased with the build quality of my 2019 Adventure, I bought mine a month ago with only 1800 mi/2900km Certified used, it was built in 2/2019 at the Woodstock plant, so it was one of the earlier builds of the new body style. I do notice a slight water mark above the passenger side roof pillar. I suppose I should have the dealer check it out, along with performing the TSB for the "groaning" torque-vectoring transfer case that has been making a racket lately.

·
Registered
🇨🇦 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - Super White
414 Posts

Hello from Toronto (assuming you're in the Cambridge plant)! Glad to see possibly someone who touched my Canadian built RAV4 :)

I have a '20 XLEh with non-adventure roof rails and I just installed the OEM roof crossbars myself about 2 months ago. Any chance the issues have been rectified with the 2020 models over the 2019's, is this something I should inspect or go to my dealer with before if it happens?

I haven't noticed any leaks or stains internally after washing my car (full auto or coin-op), or after a heavy downpour. When I was installing the crossbars, I did use some silicone paste with the larger bolts used to secure to the roof as a slight water-resistance deterrent, but you have me wondering now about the rest of the assembly/pins.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've just spent the day at my local Toyota dealership and wanted to alert others of this issue. Last week, I noticed two watermarks/stains in the headliner above my 2019 RAV4 Adventure's front passenger door (at the A pillar and at the assist handle above the door). I was able to spot the stains due to the fact that the car wash that I use has a blue dye formulated into their soap, which resulted in a light blue stain as it leaked through to the headliner; otherwise, the discoloration to the beige headliner would likely have been so subtle that it would have been missed. I stopped by the Service Department last Saturday and arranged today's appointment.

At the initial inspection, the service writer stated that the leak appeared to be located near the attachment point of the factory-installed roof rack and that it should be investigated. In today's service visit, they confirmed that there is a leak in the roof and determined that the car is unsafe to drive, as the side airbag has been damaged by the leaking water; therefore, I was given a loaner until the necessary repairs have been completed.

The service writer volunteered that he has seen this before on the new RAV4's (not sure if he was referring to the Adventure model, specifically); but, he states that he doesn't know of any current TSB's related to the issue. I would suggest that others carefully examine your headliner for evidence of leaks. FYI, mine was built in July 2019, in Canada.
We are having the same issue on 2019 adventure - taking it in to get it check out today

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
We are having the same issue on 2019 adventure - taking it in to get it check out today
They ended up replacing the entire roof rack and seals on my 2019 Adventure. In the end, the affected airbag did not need to be replaced. It was initially a concern and prompted them to express safety concerns and exercise caution, keeping the car and giving me a loaner, immediately (I didn't ask or suggest inspection of the airbag, they did that on their own initiative; so, that's something to keep in mind when you're talking to the service writer) . According to the previous post from "affiniti81", this is a known issue, so it should be a pretty straight-forward fix for the service department. Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts