Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Same applies to pouring any liquid from an offset spout, coolant, oil, or otherwise. It's easier to side pour, specially with larger bottles, same principle, the liquid can't come out if air can't get in, learned this 60 some years ago. It's the reason good gas cans have some sort of vent.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
That's interesting, but I've always held the bottle sideways--it has the same result. And I never use a funnel, just pour directly into the engine's oil filler hole.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I saw one of them used on a farm in Penn Dutch country that I went to / helped on when I was a kid.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
That's a "new" style from the 60s, when I started "wrenching" we used a swing spout oil can filled from bulk supply drums, before that we used glass bottles with metal spouts.

Vintage Swing Spout Oil Can Dispenser by Swingspout Copper Half Gallon | eBay

Magnolia Gas Glass Motor Oil Bottles with Metal Carrier Carrying Display Rack | eBay
Yeah, I remember the metal swing spout dispensers except that the spouts were like steel tubing and hinged where they were attached to the metal container which held 5 quarts. I also recall that some people used glass mason (canning) jars with the metal spout as pictured in your post. People took them to a gas station and the attendant filled them from bulk containers which had pumps on the tops. Bulk oil was available in straight 20, 30, 40, and 50 weights (San Francisco Bay Area).

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
With funnel is the only way to go for me these days, especially pouring oil into my motorcycle engine. - managing those gallon containers, my aim otherwise isn't very good!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts