Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rav4 has power locks but no keyless entry installed.

Recently I can no longer lock all doors using lock button unless I first manually lock the drivers door before pushing button.

Unlocking works okay though (I do not have to unlock driver door manually to unlock all doors) .

But at random times the doors will try to unlock, when they are already unlocked, (they make a sound just like when you push unlock button but they are already unlocked) but only with key in ignition.

Anyone have an idea what's going on here?

·
Registered
12 Posts
How does it act while using the key to lock in drivers door? Passenger side? If it works flawlessly with the key,odds are the armrest button switch is defective.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I don't know about the drivers door. The keyhole was damaged by someone trying to break into car, the only thing the succeeded in was keeping me from being able to unlock car from drivers side.

For the other doors (passenger and cargo door) they seem to work from what I remember but I will have to check. I only use them to unlock doors most of the time. Also it's hard to get the door locks to not work when I am trying to get them to fail. So it may take a while for me to recreate. For example it only happens after driving the car for more than a few miles. And once I lock driver door manually then lock all doors with power locks, if I power unlock and power lock again it works with no problem( I don't have to manually lock drivers door anymore).

You make a good point about the control panel being the issue though, especially since the doors will randomly try to unlock on their own. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the car locks to quit working today. I tried to lock with keys in all doors and it would not work, I still had to manually lock drivers door and then the doors would power lock using keys.

So I'm stuck, could the fact that the drivers door keyhole lock is stuck and won't lock/unlock cause the problem I am having?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe I have solved the problem. I took the door panel off today and discovered that the silver metal rod going from the lock to the actuator had come completely off of its clip. I just popped it on and I can unlock the doors with key again. I also think that because the rod was hanging and pushing down it was intermittently trying to unlock the doors. I hope this fixes the problem. My lock is still stuck and won't lock the doors(it won't turn left) but I need to replace that. But for the moment I am happy as long as I can unlock doors from driver door keyhole.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts