Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first winter with my 1999 and it recently got a lot colder. Yesterday I noticed a new problem.

The power door locks engage and disengage themselves randomly!
:shock:
I try to use the key fob to arm/disarm the alarm and lock/unlock the doors but it doesn't work at first, only if I use the key to open the door and then use the keyless entry will it work.
The solenoids sound fine. Every door acts the same.

I feel like some relay or contact somewhere is loose or damaged.

Any ideas? :?:

I was checking the Haynes manual and was looking at the wiring diagrams, I want to check the "Integration Relay" but have no clue where it is.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I don't know if this would help but do you have the keyless entry RS300? There's a feature in this alarm that will lock your doors 30 seconds after all doors are closed, but you have to program it, and since you just bought your car, if you do have that, probably the previous owner must have programed the keyless entry like that. You didn't say when the doors lock though, it might be helpful. Hope you find an answer because if it was a ghost, i'd recommend to exorcise (is this how it's spelled? :oops: ) your car :p.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it is the RS300,
and I will check if this has been programmed,

but I don't think it will make a difference since it seems that the the the alarm isn't able to actually lock the doors at times, I will hear the alarm sound, but the doors will not lock or unlock

I think it is a weather related issue, as this never happened before it got cold.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HAH!!! I AM *NOT* ALONE!!!

First time my Ravy did this I was changing her oil to Mobil 1. The windows were open, it was up on ramps, the fob was in the car on the seat, and I was underneath taking care of business. I was like ... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!!

Now, it's routine for my cars to communicate with me, my '99 Pontiac Grand Prix and I are practically on speaking terms, it's uncanny (I have plenty of examples of odd, inexplicable behavior). I was kinda hoping this was the case, but, I guess not.

Any idea what it could be?

Thanks!

-kj-

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kjarrett said:
HAH!!! I AM *NOT* ALONE!!!

First time my Ravy did this I was changing her oil to Mobil 1. The windows were open, it was up on ramps, the fob was in the car on the seat, and I was underneath taking care of business. I was like ... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!!

Now, it's routine for my cars to communicate with me, my '99 Pontiac Grand Prix and I are practically on speaking terms, it's uncanny (I have plenty of examples of odd, inexplicable behavior). I was kinda hoping this was the case, but, I guess not.

Any idea what it could be?

Thanks!

-kj-
LOL,
seriously guys, no one knows for sure?
I believe the culprit is the RS300 alarm, some poor circuitry...

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do not have the alarm ... so ... why is it happening?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mystery SOLVED!!!

My wife figured this out!

If you unlock the car using the fob and DO NOTHING, don't open the door, etc., the car will lock itself again automatically.

If you open the door, it will not.

Just thought I'd share!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ghost in my keyless entry system

I am having a GHOST in mine too. Mine locks the door IMMEDIATELY when the vehicle is turned on and doesn't unlock until 30sec to 1min after the vehicle is turned off. (Usually after I manually press the door unlock. ) Also when use the key it takes a couple turns before the doors unlock, even though you hear the lock mechanism unlocking. Any idea where the door lock transmitter is in a 99 L? It came with 2 button python keyless entry system not sure model.
Thanks

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also have a possesed Rav4, but mine is deffinatly related to when it rains. The day after a big rain it starts locking itself continuously. This time it happened I also noticed a damp smell inside and saw that the carpet on the passenger side was all damp.
On more investigation I found the car's computer behind the glove compartment, and it also looked rather damp. so I now think that this is the cause of the compulsive locking disorder.

I think that the source of the leak is a blocked rain run-off tube on the passenger side, but I don't know how to get to it to test this theory.

If anyone can help with how to get to this tube please let me know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts