Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Power folding mirrors

51K views 215 replies 37 participants last post by  RandomComputer 
#1 ·
I have a xse hybrid and am wondering if anyone has retrofitted the power folding mirrors onto one? And if so what's involved?

That's the one feature I wish this vehicle had.

#14 ·
I just got my kit in the mail. There are printed instructions for the wiring, but no instructions for the mechanical part.

As well, the kit didn't come with the armrest button as shown originally in the photos (they seem to have removed it). Not sure what to do now, since my Limited doesn't have any blank buttons.

#18 · (Edited)
That looks perfect -- I wish my electrical knowledge was a bit clearer, as I'm not sure exactly how to change over the wiring from the button provided to the replacement switch. The provided button connects to their little box, which I assume monitors the current position of the mirrors, and signals to the button whether or not it is folded. The OEM buttons appear to be more of a switch with three distinct states. I'm not sure if this would be compatible with the aftermarket kit, which expects one button to open/fold/toggle automatic settings.

#22 ·
I've attached the wiring diagram for the kit, and a diagram I found online for a previous version of the OEM power mirror switches.

The colors on the diagram don't match up exactly to the actual wires in the plug, so make of that what you will. The part number sent also doesn't match up with the instructions, so perhaps there's a mixup.

Any ideas? I've also attached photos of the wires as they came.
Text Font
Electronics Technology Electronic device Cable Electronics accessory
Technology Electronic device Memory card Material property Font
Wire Cable Technology Audio equipment Electronic device
Wire Electrical wiring Technology Electronics Cable
Product Diagram Design Technology

#28 ·
Install Time:

For the mechanical/motor install i based my install on this video: He used the cartrimhome version for his install (He did have a hiccup on the electrical side of the install),
I used the MIT version. Can't wait to share my install and currently in progress.

I started with the passenger side:

Remove the mirror Cap:

Remove the 3-10mm flange nut to remove the mirror assembly:

Separate the connectors from the main plug: need to do this to route the harness in the mirror pivot hole

Remove the turn signal assembly (2-phillips head screws)

Remove the 3-torx bolt(T25) to remove the stem from the mirror housing:

#33 ·
This is the ebay link where i got my power folding mirror kit:

I have not tried using the back-lit door mirror switch, i decided to keep the kit as-is on my install. But it I think it is possible to make it work.

#36 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.