Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, first post. We have a 2016 limited with the power liftgate which is having issues. When you open it with the key fob or the button on the lift gate itself, the door pops open a few inches then just stops and beeps. if you try to open it manually once it has popped open a few inches, it is very very hard and will open another inch or so and start making cracking noises where I assume the power struts connect to the liftgate or chassis. I can shut it without much problem. I have already replaced the liftgate multiplex ECU as I saw that was a common issue, however that did not solve the problem. I have also tried the manual reset procedure along with going through the settings on the instrument panel with no luck.

Does anyone know if the dealer needs to do a reset and relearn with a dealer special service tool/computer? Or does this sound like it might be one of the power struts? If it's the power strut, how the heck do I get this liftgate fully open without breaking anything, as I'm concerned due to the cracking noises when I pull up on it hard?

Any advice would be much appreciated as I can do the work myself but I'm concerned about getting the liftgate open and really don't want to take it to the stealership. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever get this resolved? I am having the same issue with my 2016 RAV4. I took it to the dealership today and they want $2400 for new power door stays, which I am assuming are the back door damper stays. It appears these are approximately $15 each, but they are quoting me $1400 for parts. I am at a loss.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hello, yes it was resolved by replacing both of the power liftgate shocks. If your RAV4 has the power liftgate, the $15 shocks are not correct as they are for the standard non liftgate model. We got our dealership to price match what other Toyota dealers were selling the same part numbers for on Google, and with labor and tax the entire bill came out to about $950. I would get a quote from another Toyota dealership or independent shop and ask them to price match ~$950-1050 for parts and labor..

·
Registered
89 Posts
What are the differences between the power liftgate model and the standard non liftgate model (I did not know that existed)? If mine goes I would consider modifying it instead of laying out big bucks to repair something that is likely to fail again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do not quote this as gospel, as I am not 100% certain about all of it. However, this is what I have read... And you know how reliable that is lol

Some RAV4 models, especially the limited, have a power liftgate tailgate option. This automatically opens and then closes when you command it to via button, key fob, etc.

The other models have a standard system with a shock / strut that you manually open and close. I do believe that I have seen someone do the conversion and you also have to buy brackets and mounting hardware for the non power liftgate option. Good luck!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks for the comments. If mine starts giving trouble, I will look into that. Just what I need--another project.:rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts