Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come across this problem:
Power lock, Windows, interior lights, dash lights and break lights not working after replacing the alternator. Also can't put the car into gear. If someone can pls help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,756 Posts
Did you disconnect the battery while replacing the alternator? If not, you probably popped a fuse. Look in the fuse boxes under the hood and under the dash.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the battery was disconnected I don't know what else can be done what other things do you think it could be

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Look in the fuse boxes under the hood and under the dash.
I don't know what else can be done what other things do you think it could be
Do you mean you checked the fuses and you don't know what else can be done?

I'm guessing that you didn't check the fuses because that is 99.9% likely to be your problem. Based on your symptoms several fuses can be blown. The easiest one to check is the 10A STOP fuse located in the interior fuse panel. It is responsible for both your brake lights not working, and the inability to move the shifter. I guess if you know how to replace an alternator you know how to check a fuse using a meter (not your eyes), so I won't go into the details.

In order to give you a more detailed reply it would help if you if you let us know what model and year of RAV4 you have as well as the country you live in. Not all RAV4s are the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked the fuses and the 10a stop and it's good and even replaced it with a new one and still didn't have any power and what I did was bridge the fuse and everything worked but all the lights on the dashboard fired up. Since I can't leave it bridged what else can I do to see why this is not working. Thank you in advance

1 - 7 of 7 Posts