Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that in the past couple of months my RAV4 has been very sluggish while going up hill. My speed literally drops going up and pushing the gas doesn't really help.

I saw somewhere that it could be the spark plugs, but I"m not sure.

My Toyota has 87,000 miles on it.

Also, I've been changing oil and maintaining it regularly. Should I replace anything at the current mileage?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,461 Posts
Year? Engine? Spark plugs are iridium tipped and last 100K+ miles. Sounds like possible fuel starvation to me.

·
Super Moderator
11,461 Posts
There is no V4. It's an I4 or a V-6. I assume it is the 2.4l four cylinder, yes?

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
It would be worthwhile for you to take your RAV to a dealer or reputable shop and have them use a code reader to see whether any defect codes occur. Also some auto supply stores will check codes for no cost.

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
It would be worthwhile for you to take your RAV to a dealer or reputable shop and have them use a code reader to see whether any defect codes occur. Also some auto supply stores will check codes for no cost.
Good idea but since the OP didn't mention the CEL being on no "free" OBDII code will be set. To read other ones like transmission takes a more expensive reader an AP store may have but not use for free. So you might want to go to the dealer but preferably a repair shop first.

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
Good idea but since the OP didn't mention the CEL being on no "free" OBDII code will be set. To read other ones like transmission takes a more expensive reader an AP store may have but not use for free. So you might want to go to the dealer but preferably a repair shop first.
Good catch about the CEL, I assumed that codes could be set without the CEL being on. That's from my motorcycle - no CEL but still will set codes. Also don't know about the sophistication of AP code readers - a friend who had his read at AutoZone said that they claimed that they could real all codes.

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
... a friend who had his read at AutoZone said that they claimed that they could real all codes.
All 10 possible OBDII codes for sure. Even the least expensive reader can do that. An All-Code reader like my $300 Autel also reads every non-emissions system in the car including ABS, SRS, EPS, A/C, Body Control Module, 4WD, plus any other systems the car may have. Takes around 10 minutes to read them all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts