Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has come across aftermarket(or OEM) mechanism to modify passenger seat from existing manual adjust to 4 way power seat. Have 2014 Limited, drivers seat is 4way with memory, passenger seat 2way manual.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
I have never heard of any aftermarket power seat kit. As for OEM, if money were no object, you could order a power driver's seat from the UK, where the driver sits on the right.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never heard of any aftermarket power seat kit. As for OEM, if money were no object, you could order a power driver's seat from the UK, where the driver sits on the right.

Thanks very much, absolutely brilliant suggestion. I'm assuming just the existing mechanism need be replaced with new mechanism and wiring???? I have very good relationship with my dealer. Will speak to the service mgr an parts mgr, perhaps they may be able to guide me thru this. Again, thanks for this suggestion!

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
The seat should simply bolt in place--not sure if all the electrical connectors for air bag sensors and such are the same. And the upholstery probably won't match.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The seat should simply bolt in place--not sure if all the electrical connectors for air bag sensors and such are the same. And the upholstery probably won't match.
Was more thinking of just replacing the seat mechanism of my seat with that from the UK. Not the entire seat. I've established through discussion with a parts guy here the drivers mechanism will not fit on passenger side. Else would have used it. Your advice about UK is wonderful, just want the mechanism not the seat.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
Well, now you're talking about converting a manual seat to auto. I'm not sure that's possible. It would probably be easier to swap the upholstery from the manual seat over to the power seat frame.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well, now you're talking about converting a manual seat to auto. I'm not sure that's possible. It would probably be easier to swap the upholstery from the manual seat over to the power seat frame.
Correct, simply replacing the slide/track mechanism with the powered version. I'm certain th slide/track assemblies are separate component from the seat assembly. The only cosmetic difference between left and right side are the side of the seat with switches. Thats just a plastic panel with the switches. There a left and right side version for sure. Now I need to figure where to source the UK track assembly and plastic panel????

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
Correct, simply replacing the slide/track mechanism with the powered version. I'm certain th slide/track assemblies are separate component from the seat assembly. The only cosmetic difference between left and right side are the side of the seat with switches.
The slide/track on the base is just one part of the puzzle. The seat back is also motorized, and don't forget about the lumbar support.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The slide/track on the base is just one part of the puzzle. The seat back is also motorized, and don't forget about the lumbar support.

Yes, I understand and agree. Also realize much of what we're discussing is conjecture until actually seeing the rt side mechanism. But, also has to consider existing seat already has seat back and lumbar adjust ability. Seat back adj is mechanical, lumbar is pneumatic I think. My thinking is seat back mechanism may tie into the Power Track mechanism, using existing seat back mechanics. Lumbar should have nothing to do with seat track mechanism. Same should also true for air bag sensor.

BTW....LOVE YOUR MEMBER ICON PICTURE. HAVE BLACK CAT MYSELF...Cinderella.

·
Premium Member
4,249 Posts
You could also buy a used power seat on yahoo Auctions Japan using buyee.jp

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Don't know about the cost of shipping from Japan to the U.S., but from the U.K. based upon personal experience it's quite expensive. Maybe it would be possible to arrange for a hitch ride in a home moving shipping container at much less expense.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You could also buy a used power seat on yahoo Auctions Japan using buyee.jp

Tried that website...not very intuitive even in english. I have close friends in Tokyo, former neighbors, can always ask them to research for me. The mention of shipping costs cannot be ignored. Costs may cancel the entire idea if this becomes financial folly. Track mechanism would be to large to even have my friends carry back to US for me upon visit. Amazing how we've come to this chasing a power passenger seat mod. haha I'm not giving up though, not yet anyway. Really appreciate the great suggestions from you folks....

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
Yes, I understand and agree. Also realize much of what we're discussing is conjecture until actually seeing the rt side mechanism. But, also has to consider existing seat already has seat back and lumbar adjust ability. Seat back adj is mechanical, lumbar is pneumatic I think. My thinking is seat back mechanism may tie into the Power Track mechanism, using existing seat back mechanics. Lumbar should have nothing to do with seat track mechanism. Same should also true for air bag sensor.

BTW....LOVE YOUR MEMBER ICON PICTURE. HAVE BLACK CAT MYSELF...Cinderella.
My 2008 power seat has a motor to slide the seat forward/back, a motor to raise/lower the seat base, a motor to tilt the seat base, a motor to recline the back, and another motor for the lumbar support. Maybe they changed the design to a mechanical seat back adjustment and a pneumatic lumbar support in the 4.4., but I'm looking at the parts diagram for mine, and there are 5 electric motors in the power seat.

Yeah, the orange tabby is Jazz, and the little one is Noire. They are constant companions and keep us constantly entertained with their shenanigans.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My 2008 power seat has a motor to slide the seat forward/back, a motor to raise/lower the seat base, a motor to tilt the seat base, a motor to recline the back, and another motor for the lumbar support. Maybe they changed the design to a mechanical seat back adjustment and a pneumatic lumbar support in the 4.4., but I'm looking at the parts diagram for mine, and there are 5 electric motors in the power seat.

Yeah, the orange tabby is Jazz, and the little one is Noire. They are constant companions and keep us constantly entertained with their shenanigans.
Where did you find your parts diagram? Been looking online for schematic of the current 2013 - 2016 Rav4 drivers seat mechanism. Specifically the power track mechanism. Not really interested in the mechanism, but more so how it fastens to the seat.

My girl is Cinderella...yes, wonderful company. Saw woman other day with bumper sticker, obviously animal caring person...said "who rescued who?"

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
Where did you find your parts diagram? Been looking online for schematic of the current 2013 - 2016 Rav4 drivers seat mechanism. Specifically the power track mechanism. Not really interested in the mechanism, but more so how it fastens to the seat.
ToyoDIY.com

·
Premium Member
4,249 Posts
Tried that website...not very intuitive even in english. I have close friends in Tokyo, former neighbors, can always ask them to research for me. The mention of shipping costs cannot be ignored. Costs may cancel the entire idea if this becomes financial folly. Track mechanism would be to large to even have my friends carry back to US for me upon visit. Amazing how we've come to this chasing a power passenger seat mod. haha I'm not giving up though, not yet anyway. Really appreciate the great suggestions from you folks....
Here are a few:
ACA33 ヴァンガード é�‹è»¢å¸* 電動シート ベージュ /ã€�Buyee】 "Buyee" 日本ã�®é€šè²©å•†å“�・オークションã�®ä»£ç�†å…¥æœ*・代ç�†è³¼å…¥
★2263★ACA33W★ヴァンガード★ドライãƒ�ーシート /ã€�Buyee】 "Buyee" 日本ã�®é€šè²©å•†å“�・オークションã�®ä»£ç�†å…¥æœ*・代ç�†è³¼å…¥

·
Premium Member
4,249 Posts
Thanks for researching this, doesn't appear to have anything suitable at this time.
I think searches to some domestic salvage yards may be more practical. I've never done anything like this, my assumption is they use eBay themselves to market their stuff. ????
Those listings are from Yahoo Auctions Japan. They are drivers side power seats which would be equal to passenger side seats if installed in your rav4.

Isn't that what you are looking for?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Those listings are from Yahoo Auctions Japan. They are drivers side power seats which would be equal to passenger side seats if installed in your rav4.

Isn't that what you are looking for?

Yes, objective is to find power track mechanism for passenger side. I have a 2014 Rav4, what I saw were complete seat, non of which we're my vintage, most were even without track mechanism. I suppose something can always she up down the road.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts