Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody actually done this? I've seen a few threads but they never go anywhere. Wondering if I get a seat from the European market with the controls on the other side, with the rail and motors as a complete unit the only thing to square away is the wiring. I don't see why this should cost more then say 15-1700 or so. Just wondering if anybody has actually done this and can guide me on how to get the ball rolling?

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
It makes sense, and likely would have been an hour-long 2-beer project 15 years ago.

Problems you are likely to encounter will be with the airbag controller and sensors. The passenger seat uses a pressure-sensitive bladder to determine if the seat is occupied, and if so, whether the occupant is heavy enough for the airbag to safely deploy.
The driver is assumed to be in the vehicle and I do not believe there is a pressure bladder (though there is a controller for the side impact airbag).

You would be able to do it, but be prepared to remove the cover and foam from both seats to transfer the original parts to the new seat. The airbag controller module, if there is a separate one for the passenger seat, will have to be transferred as well... POSSIBLY the airbag itself and seatback cover if the import seat does not have a side impact airbag.

There are a few writeups on Tacomaworld covering upgrading from bench to bucket seats. Those done properly were a hassle to collect all of the correct parts. Too many would just swap in the new seats without worrying about the airbags and would remove the LED from the dash display :facepalm:

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Yeah - makes one long for the Old Days when one could swap everything from engines and transmission to interior seats easily, before vehicles became laden with so much gadgetry and individualized components that such swaps have become impossible or nearly so.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I kinda figured there's gonna be a bit of air bag work that needs to be done to have everything operate the way it should

1 - 4 of 4 Posts