Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Power Steering Feel on '01-'05 RAV4s?

205 Views 3 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  1.8TTony
Random and weird question for the 01-05 RAVers, how does your power steering feel and do you like it? Context: The PS pump pulley and pump architecture on a RAV4.2 is shared with my 2008 Lexus RX350. However, I cannot stand the vague, over-boosted feel in my RX and am trying to get it similar to my 2002 Highlander which both have completely redone lowered suspension & new steering components front and rear - but different pumps that are not compatible.

I swapped to the sportier 2001-2003 Highlander steering rack w/ polyurethane bushings onto it which helped and gave me a lot of the characteristics I was looking for that I missed while driving my Highlander, but my RX's PS pump is still sending way too much flow which kills most of the feedback. Narrowing it down the early Highlander 4-cyl PS pump will fit as well as a 01-05 RAV4 and 05-10 Scion TC.

I would also appreciate if anyone knows how these pumps react in slalom/emergency maneuvers. The Highlander's pump will catch if forced too hard and quickly, but the RX one takes a lot more input before you're strong-arming the wheel. I have driven only one 4.2 RAV and I liked the steering, but I never got to properly live with it.

Thanks!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, looks like I'll have to grab some of those flow control valves from a PS pump from the junkyard to experiment with. Too bad everyone always takes the whole engine w/ the pump attached 🤬

· Registered
83 Posts
Thanks, looks like I'll have to grab some of those flow control valves from a PS pump from the junkyard to experiment with. Too bad everyone always takes the whole engine w/ the pump attached 🤬
Good luck. Grab a few different valves from different Scion and Toyota vehicles. If a particular valve doesn't fit on your pump, you may be able to use it's spring in your pumps valve body.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts