Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My power steering unit is leaking. Does anybody have information on what I need to replace ? Would it be hoses or the pump or the unit that retains the fluid?
I have been putting in the thick power steering stop leak fluid but that is not helping either.
It keeps on going down.
Strangely I see no drips on the ground. Nothing!! All clean all around.

·
Registered
432 Posts
If your putting fluid in and the level is going down, it must be going somewhere, my guess is the seals on the end of the rack are leaking into the belows, start the engine and turn the steering to full lock, look under the car just behind the wheels. If nothing comes out then it's only a matter of building up more fluid inside before it does.
If you want to check further then remove a wheel and slacken the clamp on the belows to check inside, it should be dry, if it is then check the other side.
Good luck

·
Registered
175 Posts
mine does the same for about a year now , will order a rack pinion to replace it, i add some power steering fluid once a month and it leaks very slow, i think your might end up replacing the rack at some point. good luck

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to put my car on ramps this coming weekend and check it out.
I will let you all know what I see.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I found out what my problem is.

If you get under the car on the left (drivers) side and look left, just above and to the left of the rear motor mount, you'll see a large drain plug (I think) that is recessed. It has a big hex pattern, I am checking parts diagrams to figure out what it is.

Anyway, it is rusted to all heck and is leaking. Or whatever it is, it's leaking. Sure smells like power steering fluid, might be dripping from somewhere else.

Edit: adding picture of what I'm talking about.

Any suggestions? Replace the whole thing?

·
Registered
432 Posts
The 4.1 does like to leak oil from the top of the engine, the cam cover gasket, ideally you need to clean the back of the engine and steering rack, use it and look again just to be sure.
If you are also continually filling the steering reservoir then it is steering fluid leaking and you will need a new or reconditioned rack, I doubt you will find a new plug. I would have thought it is more likely the pipes leaking where they connect, although the most common leak is from the seals in the ends.
Where did you leave you wallet, I get my hair cut in el segundo, I'll look for it next time!
Good luck!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I crawled underneath last night, after a good wipe down of all surrounding areas. Started her up, cranked the steering all the way - it's definitely coming from that spot. From what I understand, it's some kind of adjustment nut. I don't see any kind of replacement available. Maybe I'll run some stop leak, drain it and try to patch it with RTV or something, I don't know. Replacing the rack is the last thing I want to try and do (or pay someone else to do)

The wallet?
It's at a nice little pub in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
731 Posts
you'll see a large drain plug (I think) that is recessed. It has a big hex pattern, Any suggestions? Replace the whole thing?

That is not a drain plug. The stub shaft that connects to the steering column is on the other side of this plug.

You need to replace the complete steering gear assembly if this plug is leaking.

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you can get at it, why not try to remove the plug and have the hole in it welded up?
A few years back I removed my subframe/'K'-frame but I tied the rack up and left it on the car, I have a feeling that to remove it you need to drop the subframe (called 'K' frame because of its shape)
Good luck, hope it's always been a SoCal car......no rust hopefully

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you can get at it, why not try to remove the plug and have the hole in it welded up?
A few years back I removed my subframe/'K'-frame but I tied the rack up and left it on the car, I have a feeling that to remove it you need to drop the subframe (called 'K' frame because of its shape)
Good luck, hope it's always been a SoCal car......no rust hopefully
I am gonna bring it by my mechanic and see if there's any country boy fixes that can be done.

Unfortunately for me, I think this car spent a lot of time at the beach before it got to me, there's plenty of rust underneath and although I have actually taken out the full carpet and power washed and vacuumed, I still find sand in it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine was leaking but I never determined where. Added some Lucas power steering stop leak. That was a year ago, at least, and no leak since. I assume the leak was small and due to a bad seal otherwise the Lucas wouldn't have worked.
It's certainly worth a try. I'm willing to tackle most repairs, but replacing the rack assembly seems like a nightmare.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, confirmation of leak today. It's right where two hard lines come into the rack. Really flows out of there when the engine is running and wheels are turned. If I am lucky, the lines won't be too bad to replace.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts