Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've haven't looked, but has anyone in this forum tried installing a Power Steering oil cooler? I have a cooler which is small enough and I think since the PS oil pump is leaking. I'm planing to change it. While I'm at it, I'm planning to install an oil cooler for the pump. Any advice will be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
Would having a power steering oil cooler be worth the effort? Is cooling that oil necessary or would it even be beneficial? Unless another pump is installed to circulate the oil constantly it would seem that the only time oil would circulate would be when the RAV is actually being steered so that the power steering is operating. Also, it would not seem that even with a supplemental circulating pump installed a relatively small amount of oil - probably only that in the reservoir - would actually be cooled when the power steering is not in use.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts
Excellent point, first of all, let see if it can be done and if any RAV4.1 have ever come equipped with P/S oil cooler. Looks like it did, here.
That looks like the manual transmission cooler that is on my 99 RAV4.

Reactions: mensajero

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are right. That was from the RAV4 4WD engine cooler. I started to do the research and now I see, thanks eodgator.

But I have to see if I can do this...why? Where I live its a constant left or right curves. My brother had a Cop version Camaro. He had to install a P/S oil cooler. It just kept heating up and locking up the steering wheel by skipping when he turned. Once the cooler was installed, end of problem. He installed exactly the LONG 4155 shown above. It doesn't end here. I'm still planning to install the V6 (I'm adding parts in my garage). Adding weight to the front end. I hope you see what I mean.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts
Kool, I understand what you are doing. I've been trying to stay busy between life events getting mine on the road, engine and tranny are back in. I rebuilt the control arms today, never do that, too much work, just buy a new control arm. So tomorrow the control arms, cv joints, front sway bar, and drive shaft will be reassembled weather and life permitting.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
Price is good and it looks like it would work. Make sure you have enough hose and put anti-chaff anywhere it may rub on something. I know I don't have to say it but if you buy additional hose make sure it's transmission line type hose because the power steering uses DEXRON ll or lll automatic transmission fluid, well at least the 99's do. Have fun.
Replacing the boots and lubricant in my CV joints right now.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
I like it, but my manual transmission cooler would get in the way, I would have to install it on the passenger side of the radiator.

I have to come up with an idea of where to install a pair of horns, I was looking at putting them in that void below the headlights. Maybe one on each side.

I was also trying to figure out where to mount an external transmission filter. It's pretty tight under the hood, so I was also considering the same area. Or, I may be able to hang a bracket off the transaxle and mount it there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My favorite ones to use are the 90s ford explorer ones. They are a decent size and have 3/8" barbs. I always put them in the low (return) side of the rack going back to the reservoir. I honestly don't think it's necessary ont he rav4 but I guess it depends on how you're driving.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts