Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a post for replacement of the power steering rack input seal in the gen 1 forum which can sure save a lot of headache if that's your only problem. Has anybody tried this with a gen 2 Rav 4? It sounds like from the Gen 1 description that this area was changed in the gen 2 design.

Thanks,

George

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anyone tackled this on our Gen 2 RAV's?

Thanks,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can now confirm that this fix works on the Gen 2 RAV's as discussed in a how to in the Gen 1 forum. If you are leaking/losing power steering fluid, a likely cause is the steering rack input seal which is at the top of the rack at the point where it connects to the steering wheel linkage. Most shops want to replace the entire rack which is a very expensive job - sometimes over $1,000. Even if you are going to do it yourself a high quality rebuilt rack is $350 and you are looking at a big job. The seal and retainer ring are about $20 at the Toyota dealer and I did the job in about 4 hours. Here is a summary:

Immobilize the steering wheel

Unbolt the rubber boot inside the car, slide it up

Inspect the seal area and confirm power steering fluid leakage

Loosen the top bolt on the second intermediate shaft inside where the long splines are (up high)

Remove the bolt at the bottom of that shaft below the u joint

Slide that shaft up and off of the short extension shaft below it. Move it aside.

Remove the bolt at the bottom of the remaining short extension shaft above the rack and slide it off

Go outside, release the lower round retainer on the boot and slide the boot off

Remove the input seal "C" ring

Dig out the seal (carefully)

Tap in the new seal with a large socket

Snap in the new "C" ring.

Everything else in reverse making sure that the steering wheel doesn't move

Pocket $1.300

1 - 3 of 3 Posts