Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The orange circles below show where leaks are occurring in my 1998 Rav4's power steering system:

Note: This is the return hose assembly for a Rav4 with ABS. The ABS makes a difference.

The entire assembly shown above is what Toyota parts dealers sell, for about $130. I will likely remove the whole assembly anyway, because one of the clamps (circled in orange) looks difficult to impossible to reach. In the alternative, I am considering buying from Autozone Russell 9/16 inch ID, .656 inch OD power steering hose, at about $24 for three feet, as shown at https://www.autozone.com/plumbing-hosing/power-steering-hose/russell-9-16-in-i-d-656-in-o-d-3-ft-roll-2500-psi-10-an-power-steering-hose/539923_0_0 . Does anyone have experience with leaks in these hoses and what they did?

·
Registered
592 Posts
That line from autozone would be over-kill, this is a low pressure return line. When I changed the power steering fluid in my Rav4 a few years ago I replaced the upper rubber line with some 3/8 inch fuel line I had on hand, since the the old line had seen better days. I just went and checked on the line, still looking good.

For the hard to reach clamp, check out Flexible Hose Clamp Pliers. They are cheap on Amazon and YouTube shows how useful they are.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roundabout or anyone, the following part came with the flexible hose pliers I recently purchased from eBay:

Here's another view, to give an idea of its size:

Do you know what this is? It almost looks like a spare cable stop, but it looks like none of the other parts on the pliers.

·
Registered
592 Posts
It does look like a cable stop, have you asked the seller?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sorry for the delay, Roundabout. I have not asked the seller. A week ago I used my new flexible hose pliers to re-position one of the hose clamps circled in orange in my first post. Previously the drip that accumulated at the bottom of the hose was red in color, and so most assuredly power steering fluid. So far I am not seeing a new drip accumulate at the bottom of the hose's U. But the steering inner tie rod boot's bottom does still have a peculiar, way slow drip. I am not sure yet whether this drip is power steering fluid. Is the inside of the inner tie rod boot exposed to power steering fluid?

I did buy a foot of 3/8-inch ID fuel hose at Autozone for $2, in case I end up needing it to replace the power steering hose in question.

A great video on replacing the rack and pinion on a Rav4.1:

and some clues on removing the inner tie rod boot to inspect:

·
Registered
592 Posts
If the hose leak was feeding into the boot, it could take some time for the boot to dry out. But the steering rack does have a seal under the boot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts