Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first vehicle with EPS so this feel of steering is new to me.

With that said, does any feel that steering force required to turn the vehicle seems to be dynamic?

When in EV mode and lower speeds, its very easy to turn the wheel the majority of the time, while other times when the ICE is on and higher speeds the wheel is harder to turn. Is this by design to keep from over-steering in higher speed situations?

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Don't know specifically about the 4.4 but that power steering design likely is vehicle industry wide. Less effort required to activate at slower speeds, as in parking maneuvers, but more effort required at highway speeds in part to help prevent inadvertent movements of the steering wheel from causing a crash. Also in general less power steering assist is required to maneuver as vehicle speed increases.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
This is my first vehicle with EPS so this feel of steering is new to me.

With that said, does any feel that steering force required to turn the vehicle seems to be dynamic?

When in EV mode and lower speeds, its very easy to turn the wheel the majority of the time, while other times when the ICE is on and higher speeds the wheel is harder to turn. Is this by design to keep from over-steering in higher speed situations?
You are correct that the HV model has different steering. Its more or less a fly-by-wire system. It doesn't make any difference whether the ICE is running or not though. Speed is certainly a factor, as well as driver input (how fast you turn the wheel).

One thing I noticed immediately was the poor steering response of the OEM tires, and upgrading to some good tires changed the feel a lot. YMMV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing I noticed immediately was the poor steering response of the OEM tires, and upgrading to some good tires changed the feel a lot. YMMV.
Do you happen to remember which OEM tires came on yours? and what did you change out to? Mine has Michelins which I don't intend to change until needed, but I definitely will look at something better when I do.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Do you happen to remember which OEM tires came on yours? and what did you change out to? Mine has Michelins which I don't intend to change until needed, but I definitely will look at something better when I do.
OEM tires don't necessarily equal the same tire model bought off the shelf, FWIW.

Mine came with the Yokohama Geolander and I put Michelin Primacy on it. I'd suggest the Michelin Premier for all-around performance. With 18" tires, choices are limited.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Mine came with Bridgestone Ecopia's

OEM tires don't necessarily equal the same tire model bought off the shelf, FWIW.

Mine came with the Yokohama Geolander and I put Michelin Primacy on it. I'd suggest the Michelin Premier for all-around performance. With 18" tires, choices are limited.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts