Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to power my iPhone 6s with a cable from within the dash so that I don't have a lightning cord running from an adapter pushed into my front power socket. I don't need the cable to handle sound since I use Bluetooth (USA Spec BT35-TOY Toyota/Lexus Bluetooth Interface) but I also don't feel comfortable soldering and I don't want to replace the OEM JBL stereo until I can afford an Apple Carplay unit.

Could I just remove the Front Power Socket from the dash, attach an adapter and cable into the socket, and run a cable behind the dash to exit where I want to place my iPhone? I would then use the cap to cap off the socket hole. Is that possible?

Or is there a way to keep the Front Power Socket and just splice the lightning cord or some other adapter (?) into the power behind it and not blow out the circuit or destroy the front power socket?

Or is there adapter I'm not finding that won't interfere with the BT35-TOY)?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i have a phone power cord plugged in the power socket in the console under the armrest...i then routed the cable thru the knockout plate in there down the right side of the console...so when i want to use it i just grab the cable that is in between the passenger seat and the console....but you could remove the front power socket and splice in another power wire like you mentioned...

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,971 Posts
I want to power my iPhone 6s with a cable from within the dash so that I don't have a lightning cord running from an adapter pushed into my front power socket. I don't need the cable to handle sound since I use Bluetooth (USA Spec BT35-TOY Toyota/Lexus Bluetooth Interface) but I also don't feel comfortable soldering and I don't want to replace the OEM JBL stereo until I can afford an Apple Carplay unit.
Why not just plug your iPhone adapter into the power outlet INSIDE the console? You could drill a small hole at the back of the upper tray, thread the Lightning cable through the hole and place the iPhone in the tray.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hadn't thought about the console. Nice idea. Where is your phone located and how long a cable did you put in? Is it an easy install? Where do you run the cable once you are through the opening?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,971 Posts
The GPS in my iPhone 5 works great in the upper console tray. I can't see the screen, but the nice lady from Google Maps tells me where to turn through Bluetooth audio. All you need is a 1/4" hole in the back of the tray big enough for the Lightning connector to fit through. The USB end of the cable goes into a regular USB charger that plugs into the power socket. This socket is only powered when the ignition is on.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
To add to JuneBug's (James') post, it is also very easy to make the inside-console plug full-time hot so you can charge with the ignition off. James has one way, I used a simple chair connector with the back snipped off. Of course, I could not have done it without his picture guide.

Using the upper center console tray is a winner, IMHO!

Here is James' excellent illustrated how-to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I have been throwing out the term console and need clarification. If we are talking about the dashboard console tray then how do I see the phone while driving if it is setting in the console? What am I missing? If we are talking about the center consule between the armrests then the phone will be covered by the tray cover. I am looking to attach the phone to the windshield. I do appreciate the information on turning the socket to hot all the time. Thank you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm dumb. Ok. I understand. But if the nice lady from google maps or Siri gets it wrong I'm out of luck for the rest of the ride without a way to inform her what went wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I'm dumb. Ok. I understand. But if the nice lady from google maps or Siri gets it wrong I'm out of luck for the rest of the ride without a way to inform her what went wrong.
Yeah. Life is tough.
Not.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Before I got my windshield mount I would use the power plug in the console and put the phone in the cup holder, now I just use the front power outlet. Having a cord there when I use the GPS is really not that big of a deal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts