Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The driver window had been sluggish for a while and it finally stopped working Sat :(

I tried fixing it today. I narrowed it down to the motor. I checked with Toyota and the motor is only sold with the regulator. Price $420 :shock: I don’t think so.

I popped the motor open and used an air can to clean things out. I cleaned the contacts and put a few drops of oil in the gears. I checked the brushes and they’re pretty worn down. I checked everywhere for replacement brushes but no one has them :( So what I did was I stretched the springs to the brushes a bit and put it back together. What do you know… the thing worked again! :eek:

I know I’ll have to replace the brushes soon but I cant find them anywhere :x Anyone know where you can buy them?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From Dereks's power window thread, I learned you should lubricate the cable.

Since everything is opened, here's a mess free way to to do it.

Saturate a cloth or paper towel with WD40 and place it behind the regulator (that's where the cable is).

Carefully open and close the window (don't use the auto up / down)

·
Registered
176 Posts
The only thing I have had to replace other than what would be expected is the window motor. I found one in a wrecking yard and it has been working fine. I will need to replace the drivers side in my 2000 before winter. It goes up and down about 100 times a day...... so it is to be expected.
They are easy to replace and lube.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Thanks for the information Sig, I have got to get to that this summer. :) I am certain that my driver's side power window motor will be the first to go since it is the only one that ever gets any use.

Do you think that the motors from the front and back are interchangeable? :roll:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The R/C car brushes will not work. They're meant for 7.2 V and the power window motor runs on 12v.

It will be nearly imposible to find the exact same brushes. What you'll have to do and what I did was find some that are similar and modify them.

A local mom and pop shop had some Ford brushes that were slightly bigger. I bought a pair for $5. A few minutes with a piece of sandpaper will do the job. I then transfered the connector and installed it. So far so good!

It's also a good idea to clean the windows' weather stripping / guide and spray some silicone lubricant.

I didn't use a stop watch, but my windows are now running the in the 3 sec range :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts