Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I am in the market again for a Rav4. Was looking a bit last year, but they were out of my reach. I decided start checking them out again. The older models (06-08) are obviously much more budget friendly. What big changes were there after '08?

I know the couple common issues with the oil lines and water pump going out and I am not concerned about them. The transmission wine as well. Mechanically are they just as reliable (recalls aside)? 08s with 130K miles are listed around $9,000ish (Chicago). I was looking at spending 4K for a beater, but if I can get something decent in the 9K range, I rather do that.

I have a '10 Tundra and '15 Golf R. Neither are which are practical "around town" cars. The truck is great for hauling and towing my camper. The Golf is great for commuting, but I hate taking it anywhere because people are so careless around here. I've been on a hunt for a cheap beater but just not seeing anything that sparks my interest in that price range. I figured I would revisit Rav4s and keep an eye out for a deal.

Higher mileage Toyotas don't worry me much (had a 220K '94 v6 camry, 118K '01 4 runner). However, I see a lot of people on this forum swaying people to purchase '09s+. Currently that is out my budget. I really liked my 4runner, and have contemplated getting another one, but I am looking at '02 or older for that body style, and people still want a ton for them. Plus, they are dogs. Really my only complaint about the vehicle. I am a bit of a lead foot and the V6 awd I drove last year sealed the deal for me.

I appreciate any input. There is an 07 limited, 1 owner, good service history, 135K miles listed just under $10K. Tempted to take a look and see what they are willing to do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should note, according to Toyotaowners.com, this vehicle has had the ac lines replaced and water pump replaced, something done with the suspension arms, among all other scheduled maintenance.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The 06-08 v6 models are fine as long as oil line fix has been made...people recommend the 09-12 since it came with a better 4 cylinder engine...also the 09-12 had a few small updates like adding a button to turn off the traction control...moving the antenna from the fender to the roof...different front end and taillights...none of that would deter me if I was in your position...

·
Super Moderator
12,315 Posts
I am a bit of a lead foot and the V6 awd I drove last year sealed the deal for me.
Yep once I test drove a new 2008 V6 4WD for my BIL, I started talking to my wife's Forester about running away from home and started searching for the best deal on a RAV4. Found it in Melbourne, FL, flew there from CT and flew home in the RAV4.

I appreciate any input. There is an 07 limited, 1 owner, good service history, 135K miles listed just under $10K. Tempted to take a look and see what they are willing to do.
Definitely recommended! You seem to know your mechanical stuff so just check for the transmission whine and you should be good. You should be able to get a deal since any mileage over the magic number 100K scares away most buyers. And with an '07 you'll be past the '06's ignition coil issues and can replace the oil hose with a metal one. I have one but haven't installed it yet.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Transmission whine: my 2012 has had it since day one, it doesn't bother me, and it doesn't mean the transmission will fail, so even if there is a bit of whine, I would not walk away from a used rav4.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.