Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

For those that own a 2017 as all models come standard with PCB, how has your experience? Do you notice any difference from your normal driving habit as for sensitivity of the automated braking system. I realize there are 3 modes it can be changed to. As great as the safety technology is now standard I guess I have some concern whether it will brake unnecessarily, if that makes sense?

I read previous recalls on the Highlander regarding issues and owners had to disable the PCB manually. Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
Antone

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you search the site you'll find there is discussion of this specific issue among 2016 owners that have the same option. Some, including myself have found it a hair overactive at full sensitivity and rolled it back one notch.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've had it activate once when a truck was turning off the road and I knew he would clear the road before I reached him. For the millisecond it worked before I took control, it went hard on the brakes, so it works! One of my fears though is having it activating unnecessarily with someone behind me, but we just have to learn to trust these systems. They're not without fault, but in general it's better to have it than not.

A little off topic regarding the LDA steering assist, I previously had a 2016 RAV4 hybrid and it seems to me that the steering assistance was stronger on it than my 2017 (I think you could even adjust the strength). I noticed I don't have the option to change the strength on my 2017.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've had it activate once when a truck was turning off the road and I knew he would clear the road before I reached him. For the millisecond it worked before I took control, it went hard on the brakes, so it works! One of my fears though is having it activating unnecessarily with someone behind me, but we just have to learn to trust these systems. They're not without fault, but in general it's better to have it than not.
We've had this exact same thing happen a few times with us where I knew we'd clear the vehicle turning right at the rate they were turning at yet the Rav went full-on brakes for a split second until it realized the obstacle wasn't there any more. I too have the same fear of people behind us not reacting in time to our random full-brake even though I'd hope the PCB system would engage the brake lights to alert those behind us. My biggest fear, though, is now that it's winter the road conditions may not be ideal for a random full stop condition and could cause more harm than not engaging the brakes at all (say a full-brake even for a split second locks the tires on ice, could make for a dangerous scenario). I have yet to play with the PCB sensitivity to see if it'd ease up on how often it'd engage in scenarios such as that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
We've had this exact same thing happen a few times with us where I knew we'd clear the vehicle turning right at the rate they were turning at yet the Rav went full-on brakes for a split second until it realized the obstacle wasn't there any more. I too have the same fear of people behind us not reacting in time to our random full-brake even though I'd hope the PCB system would engage the brake lights to alert those behind us. My biggest fear, though, is now that it's winter the road conditions may not be ideal for a random full stop condition and could cause more harm than not engaging the brakes at all (say a full-brake even for a split second locks the tires on ice, could make for a dangerous scenario). I have yet to play with the PCB sensitivity to see if it'd ease up on how often it'd engage in scenarios such as that.

The brake lights do come on with PCB and they also come on with adaptive cruise control too. If you tailgate, it's more likely to come on with a stronger setting. Back it off a notch in the MID settings and you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts