Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy everyone
New owner of 2018 limited... We like them car. My wife was driving and a car stopped in the intersection in front of her.
The car "screamed" and helped her apply the brakes. This was her first occasion with the new safety devices . I think it saved us a front end crash... unnerving but NO CRASH...... we have less then 300 miles on the car......Rides and drives well

·
Registered
245 Posts
Glad she is ok! It’s nice to hear about the safety features actually working like they are supposed to.
I think this post will give everyone a bit more confidence when it comes to that feature as I’m sure most of us don’t ever get a chance to “try” that feature out...

·
Registered
10 Posts
The TSS kicked in while we were in a parking lot. A delivery truck was unloading, we were driving around, as we went by, a car flew by us. The TSS stopped the car much quicker than we would have been able to apply the brakes. It wouldn't have been a huge collision, but instead of dealing with an accident, we moved on with our day. I'm glad we have it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Had warning go off but I was able to apply the brakes in time. Would be great to hear from someone who actually had the brake automatically applied and avoided an accident.

On my Forester with Eyesight, also had warnings but never had the auto braking engage on the road. Once, I tried parking under a tree with hanging leaves, car did cut throttle and braked... had to find a different spot to park. :)

TSS-P on the Hybrid RAV4 was the reason I went with Toyota. (2 points for auto braking and hybrid).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Safety braking

glad to hear the safety feature actually works.
Unfortunately, for me, the pre-collision braking doesn't work. On the two or three occasions when I found myself needing to suddenly apply brakes, I had to do it the old fashioned way. Just as I was about to slam into the car ahead of me, an orange warning light appeared on the dash. Way. way too late to have been of any possible use. I "emergency braked" myself and there was no collision - just a few close calls.

To the contrary, the advanced cruise control works very well keeping me at a safe distance from cars slowing ahead.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Do you really think the vehicle can make up for incompetent driving? I suspect you are setting the stage for suite against Toyota, similar to the so-called sudden acceleration issue.

·
Registered
158 Posts
glad to hear the safety feature actually works.
Unfortunately, for me, the pre-collision braking doesn't work. On the two or three occasions when I found myself needing to suddenly apply brakes, I had to do it the old fashioned way. Just as I was about to slam into the car ahead of me, an orange warning light appeared on the dash. Way. way too late to have been of any possible use. I "emergency braked" myself and there was no collision - just a few close calls.

To the contrary, the advanced cruise control works very well keeping me at a safe distance from cars slowing ahead.
why not test with a cardboard
mock up on a parking lot??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts