Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Don't waste your money on this package. Here is what the tech from Toyota states. I asked when will it work because it won't work in all situations then which one will it. See ATT. file. As a bench tech in electronic I have never read a bunch of white wash.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
Read the Using the driving support systems part of the manual, the tech's statement is a quote right from the manual. PCS doesn't work in some conditions which are outlined in the manual.

Limitations of the pre-collision system

The driver is solely responsible for safe driving. Alwaysdrive safely, taking

care to observe your surroundings.

Do not use the pre-collision system instead of normalbraking operations

under any circumstances. This system will not preventcollisions or lessen

collision damage or injuries in every situation. Do notoverly rely on this

system. Failure to do so may lead to an accident, resultingin death or serious

injury.

Although this system is designed to help avoid and reducethe impact of a

collision, its effectiveness may change according to variousconditions,

therefore the system may not always be able to achieve thesame level of

performance.

Read the following conditions carefully. Do not overly relyon this system

and always drive carefully.

• Conditions under which the system may operate even ifthere is no possibility

of a collision: P. 239

• Conditions under which the system may not operateproperly: P. 239

Do not attempt to test the operation of the pre-collisionsystem yourself, as

the system may not operate properly,possibly leading to an accident.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My complaint is when the salesmen sold it to me he said I bet your other rav4 doesn't have theses options. I don't pay for something that doesn't work. Try the Subaru it works fine. As a tech at Smith ND Aerospace defense I under stand the radar they are using .I worked on Harirer and F18 and Longbow Appache electronics. This Toyota system is so fu of problems. I giving this information so people can make a wise decision .

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
So did you have an accident that you feel the pre collision system should have prevented? Still not sure what your issue is and you are not presenting a very good case for yourself.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wow, Toyota expects me to be solely responsible for driving my own car.

Who'd have thunk it?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
My complaint is when the salesmen sold it to me he said I bet your other rav4 doesn't have theses options. I don't pay for something that doesn't work.
So you're PO'd about what some nitwit salesman told you? REALLY?
Its on you to understand what you're buying, nobody else. Toyota has been selling the same system for about 5 years, where have you been?

Matter of fact the system works great, and exactly as advertised. It has kept me away from trouble many times when I was not paying attention.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My complaint is when the salesmen sold it to me he said I bet your other rav4 doesn't have theses options. I don't pay for something that doesn't work. Try the Subaru it works fine. As a tech at Smith ND Aerospace defense I under stand the radar they are using .I worked on Harirer and F18 and Longbow Appache electronics. This Toyota system is so fu of problems. I giving this information so people can make a wise decision .

Ok, so what are the costs of the Harrier, F18 and Longbow Apache compared to a 2017 Rav4? It is no better or worse than the Subaru or any other mid priced vehicle on the market today.

Do your own research prior to buying. As previously mentioned, a salesman is just that, a salesman. They would be close to telling people that the vehicle will fly in certain situations if it got them a sale.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I had my dynamic cruise control on driving around 60 mph on the highway and the auto emergency braking turned on (beeped and automatically braked with a triangular warning on the instrument cluster) as I was moved behind a vehicle, a little too close for the computer's comfort but not mine because I was going to move two lanes to the right.

I only had two other cases where the triangular warning lit up but that was during city driving and I didn't feel the car slowing down.

And no, I didn't stage these driving events just so I can report back that the pre collision system works, at least sometimes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
First, it is included on all Rav4s sold in Canada.

Second *no* "safety" package is going to protect you under all circumstances. No auto maker would ever say such a system did. They don't say it for ABS, VSC, or anything along those lines.

The driver is responsible for the safe operation of the vehicle. The vehicle is not responsible for the safe operation of the driver.

That said the system has triggered twice on me: both times because some idiot in front did something they weren't supposed to do. Did I avoid a collision? I don't know: I probably would have caught it anyway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like standard disclaimer language to me. Can't account for 100% of the idiotic things people will do and then try to say it was the cars fault (that they were eating chicken and waffles while watching Harry Potter on an iPad and facetiming their bff, but the car should have prevented them from hitting that school bus full of honor students going to the academic olympics... ) and attempt to sue.

Personally, I've been very happy with the TSS-P package on my 2017. I'm fairly certain the pre-collision saved me from an accident when the truck in front of me (tall enough that I couldn't see any traffic ahead) suddenly braked while I was checking my side mirror for surrounding traffic. Maybe I would have hit the brakes on my own in time anyway, but its comforting to know that my car can if I'm slow pulling the trigger.

The only issue I've found so far is that the Pre-Collision warning light and sound will alert if a car is stopped in a center turn lane on a curve. But it has never initiated braking as long as I follow the curve of the road. Scares me every time though. And having witnessed more than one wreck where a driver "straightened out the curve" due to inattention (and 1 where the driver missed my car by a few feet and demolished the car behind me), I'd rather have the system give the alert. It might keep some texter from hitting me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The pre-collision safety system DOES work. Not more than 24 hours after I purchased my new 2017 RAV4 Hybrid, I was going about 70 mph on the highway in heavy traffic (San Diego). Everyone was going 65-80 mph. I glanced out my side window literally for a half-second and the system went into action ... lots of loud beeping and extreme rapid deceleration. Right at the moment I glanced away, both cars in front of me had slowed abruptly to maneuver around a large piece of debris in the road. If it weren't for the pre-collision safety system, I would have rear-ended the car in front of me. Saved me a $1000 deductible, medical bills, and possible higher auto insurance bills in the future. I took over the braking, came no closer than one car-length from the car in front of me (probably at about 25 mph) and steered safely around the object, not a scratch! WORTH IT on day 1! Sure, it can't possibly prevent all accidents, but it will prevent many. The situation I described is actually quite common and isn't bad driving. Sometimes things happen due to random luck .

I'm also impressed with the Rear Cross Traffic Alert system. It kicks into action when appropriate and seems to have the potential to prevent a lot of minor fender benders.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
THE RADAR CRUISE control is not the same as PRE COLLISION SYSTEM . They both use the same hard ware but not soft ware the pre collision has to components on vehicle and then people.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For all the people that truly believe that their system works. Please take a video of out side and of course inside no cheating running up behind one of your other vehicles showing it stooped by itself. I also know I am supposed to drive safe and it is up to me to avoid accidents . Ans yes call be trust worthy but if someone sells me an item and claims it supposed to work I expect it to work.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I tell you Mr. Butter has greater courage than I have!

I am curious as to why they show foot off the gas. I am pretty sure the system works even with foot on the gas.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
I've not personally had the brakes applied in any incident yet, I've always applied them myself before that happened in a couple incidents that I would expect it to happen, but the warnings have happened several times, but I was already reacting to the traffic issue when they occurred. I do know someone here has already reported that the PCS saved them from an accident in a moment of distraction.

You'd think anyone who was a tech in the aerospace industry would be smart enough to know that the words hardware and software aren't two words each, do we have a troll here. :confused:

THE RADAR CRUISE control is not the same as PRE COLLISION SYSTEM . They both use the same hard ware but not soft ware the pre collision has to components on vehicle and then people.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Yes, autobraking should work with foot on gas. On Subaru with EyeSight, I tried parking under a tree with overhang leaves... EyeSight killed the throttle and braked. Have not tried on RAV4, would expect the same.

On the RAV4, I get the giggles when I enable adaptive cruise control. When I switch it on, I get a "radar ready" message. When there is a car in front, it should say "lock on". haha

·
Registered
129 Posts
I *love* the radar cruise control. I have to drive a lot on a major highway here (401) and it is prone to all kinds of sudden slow downs, halfwits changing lanes for no reason and cutting you off, etc.. The radar cruise means you can more or less set and forget rather than having to always fiddle with the speed setting etc.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Agreed. This week, i had cruise control set and drove along. Suddenly the car in front changed lane and my RAV4 sped up. That's when I realized that adaptive cruise control is working great.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts