Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start up my car, in the very lower-left of the display just above the steering wheel, it shows the symbol for the pre-collision prevention with "OFF" just under it. I don't know if this has been happening all along, but I just noticed it.

I checked my settings and it is turned on.

Why does this come one (then disappear) and why does it say OFF (when it's clearly turned on)?

I did check the manual, which says the light may come on when the car is turned on, but it says nothing about whether it is on or off, just that it is running a check. Any clarification would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I couldn't find any information in your profile, or signature, which told me what model year your RAV4 is, or in what country you live.

So I took a guess and downloaded the owners manual for Canadian 2016 Hybrid RAV4. If your actual vehicle is different than this, the page numbers I am about to refer to may be different for you.

On page 88, there are icons of all the possible dashboard indicators.Next to the PCS OFF icon are the numbers *1,3.

On page 89 the description for note #1 is
These lights turn on when the power switch is turned to ON mode, to indicate that a system check is being performed. They will turn off after the hybrid system is on, or after a few seconds. There may be a malfunction in a system if the lights do not come on, or turn off. Have the vehicle inspected by your Toyota dealer.

The description for note #3 is
The light comes on when the system is turned off. (The PCS system is turned off)

So, it is normal for the light to come on when the vehicle is first started. You probably also see many other lights such as ABS Warning, Engine Malfunction, Brake Warning, etc,, and yet we know that there is no problem with these other systems.

If you turn off the system deliberately, the light will stay on while you are driving, to alert you that one of the safety systems is not available. That is why the light includes the word "OFF".

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Its part of the system self-check, to let you know the indicator works. No different than the other 30 lights that come on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts