Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been (again) looking into "lifting" options: full suspension or spacers, as sold through Colorado Mountain.

Now, on the Colorado Mountain site it lists this in the FAQ about "lifting" (via spacers) and its premature wear'n tear effect on the RAV4.

Installing a lift kit will create positive camber on the wheels. In the case of the front axle, which is usually the primary drive, the positive camber can cause premature wear in the CV joints on the front CV drive shafts. Premature wear can be visibly detected by inspecting the front axle every 500 miles for CV joint grease that was spat out from the CV joint. If all the grease is ejected the CV drive shaft will need to be replaced (usually around $60 per drive shaft at national auto parts stores). This rate of this process varies but wear will accelerate if the vehicle is frequently driven over 55 MPH or if larger tire diameters are installed. This process can be reversed by adjusting the camber to maximum negative. In some cases, there is no existing adjustment or the existing adjustment is not enough. In these cases an aftermarket camber correction kit will need to be installed to return the camber to a OE acceptable range of +1 to -1. Camber adjustments will be most effective if made with a professional alignment rack found at vehicle service shops. While this will protect the drive shafts, other issues such as control arm clearance, bumping, or rattling may result but are usually not as mechanically concerning as the drive shafts. Bear in mind a CUV is not an SUV and to some degree issues and premature wear should be seen as an inevitable and inherent nature of lifting this class of vehicle.

Question. Is this wear'n tear also expected if one goes for the full suspension swap out lift route as well? Or are these effects simply the way it is - spacers or otherwise - when meddling with the CUV unibody of a RAV4?

·
Super Moderator
11,247 Posts
If you have any concerns just don't do it. I'm sure those who for some reason want their RAV4 to look like a Jeep or whatever pay ZERO attention to ANY and ALL such warnings.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I'm sure you will get premature wear no matter what but I wouldn't let that stop me...but for heaven's sake put bigger tires on it...the sport tires are already too small (which is why I went with bigger tires to fill in that wheel well)...if you lift it at all it will look dumb with those little tires...

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sure you will get premature wear no matter what but I wouldn't let that stop me...but for heaven's sake put bigger tires on it...the sport tires are already too small (which is why I went with bigger tires to fill in that wheel well)...if you lift it at all it will look dumb with those little tires...
I just wish there was a RAV owner with empirical real world number and data evidence about the engine wear effects of lifting coupled with loss of mileage (and how much) by installing larger tires too.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'll just chime in here as someone who has experience lifting trucks.

It says clearly in that paragraph what you'll change, and how it will be affected.

When they say that your suspension components will be under more strain, they will. But that doesn't mean that your CV axles are gonna be breaking every 20,000 kms.

If you want numbers, let's say you'd normally get 250k out of a set of CV axles, after the lift you may only get 220k.

Every single lift manufacturer is saying that you're gonna strain your vehicle because they are gonna cover their own arse. Even factory lift kits (ie: 4 inch MOPAR lift on my old RAM) will state that driveline components will be affected. Of course they will, you're changing the optimal driveline angles and increased rate of wear is to be expected.

Engine wear? Please... you're likely to blow the tranny long before the engine.

Tranny wear? As long as you're not abusing it or throwing on a set of 38" super swampers you're good.

I say go for the lift. People worry too much.

But if you want offroad potential, buy a jeep.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I replaced my sport wheels and tires with 235/65-17s that are pretty aggressive...I lost about 1 MPG....2 inch lift with 245/65-17 would look nice...

·
Super Moderator
11,247 Posts
I replaced my sport wheels and tires with 235/65-17s that are pretty aggressive...I lost about 1 MPG..
Did you account for the odometer error from the larger circumference tires?

·
Super Moderator
11,510 Posts
My question would be how do you intend to use it after the lift? If it's anything close to serious off roading then forget about it, it's just not designed for that. If it's just for looks.....well, it's your money.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've had both the spacers from Colorado mountain rally and am now running with suspension from deaversprings. I'm running a bigger rim and tire (245/40/R20). I don't do much off road-ing but I do a like to hit up some fishing holes that are off the gravel roads. Just giving my opinion, I like the suspension better than I did the spacers, the spacers were a little more of a rougher ride. With the suspension lift the rav feels more smooth while traveling down a bumpy gravel road. I haven't noticed to much on the wear and tear but my MPG has dropped some, maybe 25 miles per tank. But I'll take that bc I like the more aggressive look. Hope this helps you in your decision.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had both the spacers from Colorado mountain rally and am now running with suspension from deaversprings. I'm running a bigger rim and tire (245/40/R20). I don't do much off road-ing but I do a like to hit up some fishing holes that are off the gravel roads. Just giving my opinion, I like the suspension better than I did the spacers, the spacers were a little more of a rougher ride. With the suspension lift the rav feels more smooth while traveling down a bumpy gravel road. I haven't noticed to much on the wear and tear but my MPG has dropped some, maybe 25 miles per tank. But I'll take that bc I like the more aggressive look. Hope this helps you in your decision.
Treywvg, does that mean you're selling your CO MTN spacer kit? Or did you combine them? I'd be interested if you're selling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
With the deaversprings what struts and shocks did you use? Any concern with needed longer stroke shocks to accomodate the lift?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts