Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Old Issue

If you raise enough hell Toyota will refund you, in Toyota accessories, the cost of the JBL Premium Audio. I finally filed an executive complaint with Toyota and this is what I received in return. This issue has been beat to death and the result is always the same as they claim it works as designed. Good luck, I do hope you succeed as we will all benefit if a solution is actually developed an released as a TSB.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,609 Posts
I have a 2103 with the Green Edge system and I find it not too bad.
Of course. I would expect an audio system from the 22nd century to be "not too bad." :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
If you an audiophile, you install your own stereo. Not stick with stock.
I feel sorry I got my RAV4 with JBL. I wish I got non-JBL. The wiring is different.
JBL on RAV4 is a joke. Period.
I gave up talking to Toyota about it. My next car will be a Non-JBL RAV4 or not a Toyota.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got the same problem. My 2007 Camry with yhe JBL package was beautiful and this new rav4 system is just underwhelming. All front speakers and to get anything from the rear you have to set the balance to 90% rear. Hardly surround sound.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Toyota "Executive Complaint"?

If you raise enough hell Toyota will refund you, in Toyota accessories, the cost of the JBL Premium Audio. I finally filed an executive complaint with Toyota and this is what I received in return. This issue has been beat to death and the result is always the same as they claim it works as designed. Good luck, I do hope you succeed as we will all benefit if a solution is actually developed an released as a TSB.
Can you please share how to lodge an "executive complaint" with Toyota? Is this through the dealer or Toyota North America? If you don't want to make this public you can always PM me through the forum.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. I am another one affected by the poor quality of the JBL Audio equipment of my Rav 4 Hybrid 4WD acquired a year ago.
Enclosed letter sent to Toyota Spain.

Toyota Spain customer service only produces inattentiveness.

1º.- On September 1, 2017 I telephoned with you to communicate the poor sound quality of the JBL team that brings my Rav 4 Feel, registration number 6320 JNZ, and they told me that they would answer me by phone, to this day I am still waiting that call.

That is why I requested an appointment for the Vigo Nipocar ​​concessionaire, taking my vehicle on the 8th of September.

The garage technician told me that, according to Toyota Spain, the sound on the rear speakers and the subwoofer sounded like that and could not be adjusted.

However, he recognized that the sound was very low (compared to the front speakers) and that the subwoofer was practically non-existent.

2º.- I went to a workshop specialized in installation of sound equipment in automobiles being surprised of the poor hearing in the rear seats.

3º.- This is a problem discussed in various forums both in Spain and abroad (attached documentation) and of which Toyota does not provide any solution.

4º.- I am a music lover and I attach great importance to the sound quality in the vehicle. In all I've had until today (Lancia, Ford, Mazda) I did not have this poor and poor sound quality even though my Rav 4 comes equipped with "JBL Premium Audio System with 11 speakers" and in theory with a " amplifier "(which is not appreciated, nor can it be regulated).

5º.- As a customer of Toyota for 18 years, having owned four vehicles of this brand and currently three, I have to say that I feel very disappointed with this matter and I think that Toyota should review this issue and provide a solution, either with firmware or new software.

P.D- I will send a copy of this letter to Toyota in Japan.

Best regards

Miguel Álvarez Deza

·
Registered
644 Posts
I bought mine 2016 RAV4 Limited with Advanced Tech Package and I do not the whole car. The car itself is not bad, but the Entune JBL is driving me crazy.
I feels sorry I actually did not buy a Subaru Forester or Honda CRV.
Entune JBL looks so outdated, slow and laggy and poor support. It does what Fujitsu Ten team wants, not the owner who paid $1500 more for Premium Sound.
It is even hard to replace with aftermarket stereo.
I don't even enjoy driving my RAV4 because of f#&@%g Entune. I have an old VW van with "no electronics" and it is more fun to drive around than my 16 RAV4 stuffed with techs.
RAV4 is really boring to drive for me.
Snow/Ice performance is poor compared to 03 CRV and Subarus. I get stuck on my own driveway with new winter studded Nokians. Cheap plastic trim rattle adds the negatives.
GPS is a joke. No USB playback by folders and who wants to purchase movie ticked from dash screen?

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI - I personally had a 2008 RAV4.... AWESOME vehicle SAME stereo system WHY would i think its anything different in Quality !!! .... technology has come a long way FOR THE BETTER !!! .... so i turned on my radio etc but thought adjustments needed to be made....went home and tried as no sound hardly in back speakers... to find out they changed the AMP so we don't blow speakers since 2013.... SO SHAME on me YEP FOR BELIEVING IN A PRODUCT.... maybe you should think at what your saying their is a big issue we just want to have what we had before or what others have for a premium system ...look at Toyota Nation we are so upset with whole thing !....I also believed in TOYOTA to make it right ...thought i was a defect and just needed it fixed as well, so back to dealer many times and to Toyota Canada ... 2 years almost and nothing ...

·
Registered
202 Posts
There's not much we can do about it short of ripping it all out and starting over. I'm glad I leased this car. The soundstage is horrible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought mine 2016 RAV4 Limited with Advanced Tech Package and I do not the whole car. The car itself is not bad, but the Entune JBL is driving me crazy.
I feels sorry I actually did not buy a Subaru Forester or Honda CRV.
Entune JBL looks so outdated, slow and laggy and poor support. It does what Fujitsu Ten team wants, not the owner who paid $1500 more for Premium Sound.
It is even hard to replace with aftermarket stereo.
I don't even enjoy driving my RAV4 because of f#&@%g Entune. I have an old VW van with "no electronics" and it is more fun to drive around than my 16 RAV4 stuffed with techs.
RAV4 is really boring to drive for me.
Snow/Ice performance is poor compared to 03 CRV and Subarus. I get stuck on my own driveway with new winter studded Nokians. Cheap plastic trim rattle adds the negatives.
GPS is a joke. No USB playback by folders and who wants to purchase movie ticked from dash screen?
The Entune in our 16 Rav4 is horrible. We do not use the navigation anymore. It's easier to just use our phones. The voice command has worked exactly zero times in time we've owned it. Gave up on it a while ago. Living in WA state, getting caught grabbing the phone results in a DUI-E, it's really unfortunate to have a 2016 vehicle with voice technology that was better in 2010.

The JBL in my 05 Tacoma blows the 16 Rav4 out of the water. Overall happy with the car, but I'm not upgrading the Tacoma until these issues are addressed. And hope there's some sort of update to fix the current Rav4.

My parents were looking for a car a few weeks ago and torn between the Rav4 and the CR-V. I recommended the CR-V to them instead. I couldn't recommend the Rav4 based on that. Their new CR-V is lightyears ahead of our Rav4 in the Navigation/Audio/Voice control department.

·
Registered
152 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
About 4K. I had traded in a Camry on the Rav so I had a lot of equity in the Rav. Well worth it IMO. I think the NX looks more like a guy car. Love the seats and look of the NX.
Congrats on the NX! It's an awesome vehicle and Lexus customer service is great as well!

It was funny to hear you traded your RAV for an NX F Sport though because I just did the opposite. lol. I just traded in a 2015 NX200T F Sport (fully loaded Canadian version with adaptive variable suspension) in on a 2018 RAV4 Limited. I really liked the engine, handling, looks, INTERIOR QUALITY, and I did like the seats around town...I personally don't find the stereo any better on the NX though (I actually prefer the RAV4 JBL system so far), BUT I think that is due to personal preference with audio as described below. I also wouldn't be surprised if the people that don't like the JBL system would also prefer the system in the NX.

Now I know I am not going to be popular on this thread with this post but here it goes:)

So far I am actually pleasantly surprised with the JBL stereo in the RAV4. I have the bass turned up around 3, the mids turned back 1, and the treble turned back 2. I only have 40 KM's on the RAV so far though, with no highway trips yet as I just took possession on Dec.21 and I am going to pick up my daughter after Christmas, which will be my first 7 hour trip with the RAV. The way everyone has been trashing the JBL system I was expecting it to be horrible. I have only listened through an iPod using the usb connection with mostly AIFF files or iTunes AAC files though. Yes, I think it is lacking in sub bass, but I am not a bass head. This system reminds me of my Sennheiser HD650 headphone setup when fed by my Schiit Gungnir multi-bit DAC>Cavalli Liquid Carbon>HD650's. I do find the HD650 to be a little sub bass light though. Obviously the headphone setup sounds better, but the JBL system has some of the same qualities I enjoy.

One pair of earphones I owned and never really liked were the Shure SE846 (sold), they had great sub bass, but I think the mid bass was lacking for my taste. Something always seemed off to me. LOTS of people on Head-Fi LOVE these earphones though. Even though the SE846 are currently listed at $1300 CND and the Westone W40 is listed at $620 I prefer my Westone W40 fed by my AK120>Chord Mojo>W40. I also prefer my JH Angie paired with my ALO CDM. I have learned people have different preferences when it comes to audio.

I am curious, has anyone tried a high end DAP or portable DAC/Amp combo into the aux port on the RAV4? I am thinking of trying my AK120/Mojo combo, or ALO CDM/iPhone combo. I also still also own a Chord Hugo (haven't used it in over a year since getting Gungnir DAC) which I may try using with my iPhone 6 and camera connection kit to see how it sounds. If this would improve the sound then I might consider using this setup and using a playlist for my trips.

Back to the NX:
I can only really think of three downsides I found with my F Sport NX.

1. I didn't really like the seats on LONG trips (I have to make two 7 hour trips in the same weekend every month, so 14 hours driving in the weekend).

2. I never really liked the track pad even after 2.5 years of owing the NX, but I could live with it.

3. This is probably the biggest one for me...I found I would drive it too aggressively, probably because it was the F Sport model and I wouldn't feel relaxed on long trips, which is one of the biggest reasons I traded it for the RAV.
Other than that it was a great vehicle and I am sure you will love it, if I didn't have to make the highway trips that I do I would have kept it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well, the JBL does sound somewhat better with good content. Let us know what you think about the JBL in the Rav after your first long trip. Between the road noise and harsh/tinny JBL it really got to me over a couple of long trips. The JBL sounds much better parked with lower volume levels as you are back on the loudness compensation curve which increases the bass. On the road as the volume goes up to compensate for road noise the bass mostly disappears. Let us know what volume level (control number) you are listening at during your trip and also comparable FM radio level.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, the JBL does sound somewhat better with good content. Let us know what you think about the JBL in the Rav after your first long trip. Between the road noise and harsh/tinny JBL it really got to me over a couple of long trips. The JBL sounds much better parked with lower volume levels as you are back on the loudness compensation curve which increases the bass. On the road as the volume goes up to compensate for road noise the bass mostly disappears. Let us know what volume level (control number) you are listening at during your trip and also comparable FM radio level.
Hi Steve,

I just took my first 700 KM round trip yesterday, from Calgary to Edmonton and back. I agree that the JBL stereo sounds better when stopped or at lower speeds, but I didn't find it terrible on the highway either, depending on the song being played. While I did find some songs harsh or tinny, mostly ABBA lol, I found it was more dependant on the music. I think the volume mostly was set to around 25-35, so around half, depending on the song. Yes, the bass does decrease with road noise and increased volume. I also found the same thing with the NX I owned, at lower speeds and at a stop it sounded better. It's the same with my fathers 2015 RX350 with the Mark Levinson though, it sounds better at lower speeds and less road noise. I never really thought of my NX as being too noisy of a vehicle, unless it was really windy out, but I think there was actually more road noise in my NX than in my RAV4. I don't think it was very windy yesterday though, usually it is so that could be why the RAV seemed so quiet, I was happy with that. I just know that after around 4-5 hours in the NX I felt fatuiged, but in the RAV I felt like I could have kept going after 8 hours. I felt much more relaxed in the RAV then in the NX, most likely because the NX was the F Sport model, so I felt more aggressive when driving instead of relaxed. Plus I found the seats in the RAV MUCH more comfortable for long trips.

I did try the Chord Hugo into the AUX in as well on the way to Edmonton after pulling over for a washroom break, but the problem is with audio is that your memory is very short when swapping back and forth, you even have to volume match because that also makes a difference, so by the time I was back at highway speed again it is tough to compare and driving by myself I don't want to do a swap while driving. I do think it sounded better, easier to listen to, but that could just be a mental thing as well. I will do more comparisons in my garage once the weather warms up though and see what I prefer.

I never tried using the radio, but I did have a couple of bluetooth conversations and I think the phone sounded MUCH better in the NX than in the RAV4.

I will be making the trip again on Jan. 2nd or 3rd so I will see how I feel it does then. I might also try a different DAC again, either my Mojo or CDM, but I do like the convenience of USB though.

What volume do you usually listen at in your RAV4 on the highway? I am also wondering what type of music most people here are listening to?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi Steve,
I just took my first 700 KM round trip yesterday, from Calgary to Edmonton and back. I agree that the JBL stereo sounds better when stopped or at lower speeds, but I didn't find it terrible on the highway either, depending on the song being played. While I did find some songs harsh or tinny, mostly ABBA lol, I found it was more dependant on the music. I think the volume mostly was set to around 25-35, so around half, depending on the song.
It sounds like you were using your player into the AUX input at this volume level? I am assuming that you can raise or lower the output of the player.

Normally for FM radio the volume level is in the low-mid 20s. However, they seem to have removed any extra bass compensation from the FM source to compensate for the limitations of the analog FM broadcast process.

I might also try a different DAC again, either my Mojo or CDM, but I do like the convenience of USB though.
USB might be a different experience as you can't really (easily) adjust the input level.

What volume do you usually listen at in your RAV4 on the highway? I am also wondering what type of music most people here are listening to?
I tend to listen to classic rock / pop / blue grass / country that has mostly been ripped from commercial CDs using DbPowerAmp and converted to high rate MP3 over USB. Under these conditions the loudness is considerably lower than for the FM radio source and I find that I have to set the volume level to the low-mid 40s while on the highway.

After living with this system for a while think about loosing about 6Db from the dash speakers as a possible improvement. It makes a BIG difference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It sounds like you were using your player into the AUX input at this volume level? I am assuming that you can raise or lower the output of the player.

When I used the Hugo it was into the AUX input and I adjusted the volume on the Hugo until it was around the same as what my iPod would have been through USB.

Normally for FM radio the volume level is in the low-mid 20s. However, they seem to have removed any extra bass compensation from the FM source to compensate for the limitations of the analog FM broadcast process.

I will have to try the FM radio next time I am in the vehicle to see how it compares volume wise...I'm assuming it would be the same as yours.

USB might be a different experience as you can't really (easily) adjust the input level.

True...You can't adjust the input level on the USB. But I found it sufficient, even loud, at around the 25 level yesterday in the car. I listened to FUN We are Young yesterday at around 20-25 (can't remember exact volume) and I was surprised by the amount of sub bass and found it fairly loud, this was traveling around 50KMPH though.

I tend to listen to classic rock / pop / blue grass / country that has mostly been ripped from commercial CDs using DbPowerAmp and converted to high rate MP3 over USB. Under these conditions the loudness is considerably lower than for the FM radio source and I find that I have to set the volume level to the low-mid 40s while on the highway.

I listen to classic rock /80's hair bands / 80's pop rock like Foreigner / country / as well some vocal like Il Divo. All of my files on my iPod are either downloaded from the iTunes Store or ripped lossless in AIFF from CD, I usually only buy hits CD's where there are a number of songs I like. I will admit though, there probably isn't a heck of a lot of difference between an iTunes file and a CD AIFF rip. I find the original recording matter A LOT more than than the rip, as long as you are going with AAC 256 or 320 MP3. I have some iTunes songs that are better recorded than some of my CD's.

After living with this system for a while think about loosing about 6Db from the dash speakers as a possible improvement. It makes a BIG difference.
I'm beginning to think that the difference between myself and others that don't like the JBL system might be the volume people are listening at. You said that as you turn the volume up on the highway the bass disappears and you were listening at around 40-46 volume level? I am actually a fairly quiet listener for the most part, I find when I turned the volume up to around 25 it was enough to drown out the road noise and still sound good.

I have also noticed when I have other people try some of my headphone setups they CRANK the volume, I remember when I had my Bryston BHA-1 headphone amp, while using an M-DAC for the DAC I let a friend listen and he was turning it up to volume levels that I was worried about my headphones (I think he was using my HE-500), he said it sounded good and it was a comfortable level for him...It would have been far to loud for me though.

That being said around 20 years ago when I was into big car stereos I would crank the volume as well and feel the car shake lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
After my last trip I did prefer using the Aux input with a good DAC (Chord Mojo, and Chord Hugo) over the USB input. So for my future trips I will be using the following setup: my old iPhone 6 with a playlist>Chord Mojo or Hugo>Aux input. My highest listening volume with either the Aux in or the USB input was around 27 with most listening around the 20-25 volume level while driving at around 110-120 KMPH which I found loud enough. I did try and volume match the input volume on the DAC to the USB volume level as well. I will stick to using my iPod into the USB for around town for the convince of it.

I did try the radio and don't find it worth listening to, but I rarely listened to radio in any of my previous vehicles.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Im very happy with my JBLSystem. 2018 Limited. FM and SiriusXM both sound great. Unbelievable bass. Music and bass sound the same at 0mph and 90. Even when my mirrors are shaking from all the bass, still awesome. Glad i didnt listen to any of these reviews and not get it?

21 - 40 of 58 Posts