Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am vanilla, so says my daughter. So not much to introduce.
I like Toyotas, BCM AR15's, and fishing.

Backstory:
So, I have an 08 4Runner that is my pet and an 02 Tacoma that is my daily driver. Now, next February my daughter turns 16 and will need a whip. My plan was buy something now and use it as my daily driver for the next year, relegate my old Tacoma to just "the fishing truck", and put my 4runner on the road as my daily driver when she turns 16. She wanted a 4Runner. lol, no. So we started shopping. And as most, I was shocked at car prices.

We settled on a Rav4. Started shopping, test driving, looking at the +/-EV of different models and settled on an early 4.3 V6 4WD with low(er) mileage. And the hunt was on...
...luckily a friend (who is a lawyer) heard and called. An 07 Limited V6 4WD was tied up in an estate case, but was getting ready to be bid on. We ran and checked it out. Immaculate interior, my mechanic said "Looks like it's never been road in." Exterior looked garage kept. 37,183 miles. Paperwork in the dash.

AWESOME!

So, I bid. tbh, I bid $500 over kbb (if you're interested google the highest kbb and add $500, that is exactly what I paid.) Because of the shape, and low mileage I figured someone would bid max kbb...and I really wanted something that is gonna last my daughter 2.5 years of high school and 4 years of college...without breaking my bank. Obviously I won. Pic of said Rav4:

How I landed at rav4world.com:
...trying to figure out why it occasionally smoked at start up.
Not always, not even "under the same circumstances". :mad:
OK, seals. I can live with that.
Then the AC quit (actually I don't think it worked, I was just fooled when I tested it because the outside temp that day was 28.) Mechanic visit, simply overcharged. Mechanic found some wire damage (from another thread I think it was squirrels, not meese). I found the air filter chewed and acorns in the air cabin filter box. Like I said this car has sat approx. 2 years.

:mad:

But, less than $300 (mechanic for a few wires, filters, new battery) ...hopefully the kid has a car that will last her through college.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! And my apologies for my manners. THANKS to the members of this forum that new what caused the smoking!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
Congratulations to your daughter! She is very lucky to have you for her Dad!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
V6, enough said!

Welcome to the forum!

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
Have you stomped on the gas yet? That's a lot of power for a new, young, inexperienced driver. Well done on the purchase. There are lots of recalls and service bulletins so make sure everything is up to date.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you stomped on the gas yet?
Yes, and was quite shocked tbh. This may not end well for my insurance rates.

There are lots of recalls and service bulletins so make sure everything is up to date.
Already got it scheduled at the local Toyota dealership. I went by to pick a spare, spare key so I could put a master in the safe...because I know if she's anything like her mom was she will lose keys. Constantly. Mother. Of. God. $150 for a spare w/o the door lock buttons? I digress, the dealership ran it and told me what hasn't been done and scheduled it to make sure they had the parts.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
Mother. Of. God. $150 for a spare w/o the door lock buttons? I digress, the dealership ran it and told me what hasn't been done and scheduled it to make sure they had the parts.
That is a ridiculous price. Any good locksmith shop could make you a key for a lot less.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is a ridiculous price. Any good locksmith shop could make you a key for a lot less.
Dammit. The way I read the owner's manual it read as if a Toyota dealer had to make the key. Oh well, I bleed money anyways.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts