Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am looking for recommendations on winter wheels.

As soon as the 2016 Blizzaks DM-V2s are available on tirerack I plan to order. Am leaning towards 16" steel wheels. Tirerack only offer 215s but I'd prefer 205s.

Does anyone have pics of good looking alloys in 16", or think that I am better off with steelies (more damage/ theft resistant?)

We've recently moved from Atlanta to Denver so have no real experience with snow (2" shuts down Atlanta). The vehicle is a 2wd 2015 LE RAV4. I felt the 2wd would be fine especially with the auto-lsd. Virtually every local I've talked with says 4wd is not necessary with snow tires, and that 4wd on all seasons is not wise (though many new to town apparently do it thinking 4wd can deal with anything).

Both cars are garaged, the RAV4 will be taken to ski resorts but never off-road. I already have chains but doubt we'll ever need them with decent snow tires.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Do 16" fit the 4.4?

·
Registered
184 Posts
The ride most be great. I'd love to dump these 18's.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The ride most be great. I'd love to dump these 18's.
17" stock on the LE.

My BMW came with 18" wheels.. at ~700 miles they went into the attic and were replaced with 17".. now have a lot less fear of potholes. Amazingly 16" winter wheels are available for BMW too (328i convertible).

Ride is a bit soft on the RAV4 for my taste but it due to the springs/dampers + me not being used to it. The BMW seems mega-stiff in comparison (has sport package). Yet again compared to my track/weekend car (modified MX-5) the BMW seems really quite soft especially in corners.

Anyway I just don't get why any car/ crossover needs bigger than 17". 16" is probably the sweet spot, we'd see a lot fewer bent rims and all pay less for tires.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I know that steel wheels offer a bit of an advantage by virtue of being able to better sustain damage from deep potholes, curb strikes, etc. But between running snow tires and being the type of driver who prepares like that to begin with, the chances of that sort of damage occurring are probably significantly lessened. While I'm sure it is a bit vain, I would still choose alloy wheels as I prefer their appearance on a car like the RAV and I still have to look at and be seen in it throughout the winter.

Looking at Tire Rack, to me the cost difference isn't even all the big, either. Basic generic steel 16" wheels are $60/each while a decent classic 5 spoke alloy wheel (my personal favorite) can be had for as little as $97/each. To me the extra $148, especially spread over the years of service I would expect to receive from the wheels, would be more than worth it. The alloy wheels will have more resale value, too.

My only concern with that particular alloy wheel and the tire sizes you mentioned would be that those wheels are 7.5" wide and would require a minimum tire width of 225mm. Bridgestone doesn't even list a 205 width tire in DM-V2 line and they recommend a rim width of 6-7" for the 215/70R16 to be mounted on. Me, I would go with the 225/70R16 size as they more closely match the overall diameter of the OEM RAV tire size and then mount them on the $97 Sport Edition A12 wheels.

$60:

$97:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are likely correct. I also learned TPMS is a PITA to use with a second set of wheels on Toyotas so may skip sensor on these winter wheels.

Wheel-wise I am leaning towards those show below in 215 with DM-V1 Tires. Tire rack don't carry DM-V2s in this size (yet?) + I'd rather go 215 than 225 with the latest generation tires (narrow wheels dig into snow better). Actually I'd prefer WS-80s on both vehicles but sizing is proving an issue.

M2 Pari:

Sport A7s like you suggest:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bump, what do people think about the wheels with straight spokes? I like them and will probably order this week, but can see how the wheels below (Sport A7) look more mainstream.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Hmmm. Can we disable the electronic stability control if we don't install sensors on the winter wheels? It seems disabling this will allow for rocking back and forth motion.

I thought this was just a Honda problem as that is the case for our 11 Accord (not being able to disable VSA during winter because we didn't fit the winter wheels with sensors).

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Hmmm. Can we disable the electronic stability control if we don't install sensors on the winter wheels? It seems disabling this will allow for rocking back and forth motion.
Interesting idea, but the stability sensors are not in the wheels.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Interesting idea, but the stability sensors are not in the wheels.
That is how it worked on our Honda Accord. Without the sensors, we cannot disable VSA (stability control) so the next set of winters I will definitely have sensors installed on the winter tires and would not have sensors for the all seasons. It's an older vehicle so it can only be programmed to work with one set of sensors.

How does the one in the RAV4 work?

From a few posts above:

You are likely correct. I also learned TPMS is a PITA to use with a second set of wheels on Toyotas so may skip sensor on these winter wheels.

As long as the stability control can be disabled in the winter, I don't mind not having the sensors on the winter wheel set. I am not too concerned about not having TPMS if it's a pain to have two sets of sensors (winter and all season).

I'll try to read up this once we have bought a RAV4.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
How does the one in the RAV4 work?
I found this. Hope it helps. Scroll down to the where the sensors are.

As long as the stability control can be disabled in the winter, I don't mind not having the sensors on the winter wheel set.
For more good info see this link. Winter is definitely the time I need it the most except when stuck up to the axles. It works very well.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I found this. Hope it helps. Scroll down to the where the sensors are.

Disabling it temporarily is as easy as pressing a button on the dash, but Winter is definitely the time I need it the most. It works very well.
Thanks. Good to know the TPMS sensors are not integral in determining whether the electronic stability control can be turned on and off temporarily.

I will only need it off if a rocking motion is required but then because it's AWD and has a higher ground clearance, the chance of it getting stuck is likely much lower.

·
Registered
264 Posts
OP, less spokes = easier to keep clean. Those 5 spokes Iron Bender posted are close to OEM and would be a breeze to keep clean. Just saying.

Interesting to see you think the RAV rides soft. Don't hear that much!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm shopping for winter wheels and tires and just came across this thread. So if you don't put the sensors in the wheels there will be a light on in the dash board all winter? I never thought about it because my Corolla didn't have wheel sensors but had TPM...

·
Registered
855 Posts
Preferred package on Tire Rack shows 215/70R16 (BLIZZAK DM-V1 today).
I have 16" steel wheels for winter.
My only concern with that particular alloy wheel and the tire sizes you mentioned would be that those wheels are 7.5" wide and would require a minimum tire width of 225mm. Bridgestone doesn't even list a 205 width tire in DM-V2 line and they recommend a rim width of 6-7" for the 215/70R16 to be mounted on. Me, I would go with the 225/70R16 size as they more closely match the overall diameter of the OEM RAV tire size and then mount them on the $97 Sport Edition A12 wheels.
Hmmm. I am actually considering alloy wheels to for the winter set (planned 2016 RAV4 purchase).

Does this mean going with 225/70R16 (owing to it's smaller diameter) will lower the distance traveled as per odometer? :)

215/70R16 vs. 225/70R16
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49jnI2SkaiTWUZvbmRGc01ZYkk/view?usp=sharing

Are there fewer alloy wheels with rim width of 6-7" than there are 7.5"?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Hmmm, if most winter tires are unidirectional and there is no way to crisscross them (as each was meant either to be on the left or right side), I guess rotation will have to be front to back and vice versa. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts