Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just got a pressure cold water hose 100bar - I'm happy to do the underside of Freda, but any advice on doing the engine? Like what to avoid and so on? I know not to do it when it's hot, but that's about it! :roll:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Soooooooo.........................I take it you all have dirty engine compartments then? :wink:

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have never done this myself but I have had others do it for me. :shock: When they did it, they kept my engine running. I would assume that you would need to be a little bit careful around the cables and the electronics. Some control freaks on this forum would probably go as far as 'bagging' the alternator and distributor cap.

In theory a "warm" engine will loosen the gunk.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem with that is - cold water + warm aluminium = big cracky thing in engine! Seriously though - has nobody ever jetted their engine? I wouldn't trust anyone else to do it, but it's pointless having a showroom finish on the bodywork and an engine compartment like a barnyard! All fur coat & no knickers as we say over here! :wink:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Pressure Washing

I've seen car dealers use a pressure washer on used cars, as they did on Cubby our RAV4 with seemingly no ill effect.

I myself use a rattle can or two of engine degreaser usualy on very warm not 'hot' engine then use a JETX which you hook to garden hose. Its like a prehistoric high pressure washer about the same pressure as a do it yourself car wash which also works very well, anyway if you don't spray directly at or to long at the ignition stuff it should be ok? everything else should be fine. If you don't have compressed air get a spray can of air like they use on electronics and a drying rag to dry the ignition if you do get it wet, and you should be home free. :D

:cheers:

Vic. vicco27.......Keep Rollin.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks - it could be an interesting weekend! :twisted:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just finished. Did the whole thing with degreaser - Carplan Tetroclean - then pressure washed.............carefully! It'll do for a first attempt, I'll have another go soon. Thanks for advice. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts