Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what everyone does to prevent the rear licence plate from scratching the paint?

I have a 2018 and all the dealer did was put two little pieces of foam to protect the paint. They have since lost their “plumpness” and so I’m looking at other alternatives. Should I try to get more of this foam tape stripping? I checked Home Depot, they looked at me like I was from a different planet. They didn't have any!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,529 Posts
I got some self-sticking rubber bumper pads and placed a couple on the car right behind where the bottom of the plate sits.They are available in black or clear, square or round shapes at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was just wondering what everyone does to prevent the rear licence plate from scratching the paint?
I put one of the silicone license plate mats on each car. It prevents scratching and also eliminates any rattling back there when you're bumping with the massive JBL subwoofer ?

In addition, I replaced the metal license plate screws with nylon ones to help prevent the inevitable rusting you get back there as we go through the salty roads of winter.

EDIT: if you are willing to wait, you can get the mats from Aliexpress for about $8USD/C$9.75 - just be willing to wait 20-30 days for arrival.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I put one of the silicone license plate mats on each car. It prevents scratching and also eliminates any rattling back there when you're bumping with the massive JBL subwoofer ?

In addition, I replaced the metal license plate screws with nylon ones to help prevent the inevitable rusting you get back there as we go through the salty roads of winter.

EDIT: if you are willing to wait, you can get the mats from Aliexpress for about $8USD/C$9.75 - just be willing to wait 20-30 days for arrival.
I used the nylon screws on our 2011 Rav and went to remove them after a couple of years and one broke off. You can slightly ,by hand bend the bottom of the plate up to prevent it touching the rear door.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Found a black "pad" on Amazon that protects the paint, easily removed for cleaning, and no rattles whatsoever.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Either pads under the metal license plate, or get a nice plastic 'pictureframe' plate holder. The plate snaps into the holder, the holder gets screwed to the vehicle. Metal does not touch metal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts