Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a customer with a 2002 RAV4 AWD manual transmission. It needs a clutch. 17 hours labor. Our price is around $2200.00 provided there are no surprises. The dealer wants $3400.00

I would have a hard time deciding whether to replace the clutch or trade it for a newer RAV4.

That's ridiculous 17 hours labor.

Nissan once made a car that the clutch disc could be replaced in less than an hour. If you wanted to replace the flywheel or pressure plate, that required transaxle removal.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Well there goes all the gas savings for buying a manual vs an automatic.

·
Registered
599 Posts
ouch!, it was $1000 for my 98's clutch job, the 2002 can't be all that hard?

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Ouch! Gone with the advent of front wheel drive vehicles are the good old days of rear wheel drive vehicles, on which clutch replacement was relatively simple and could be done by any backyard garage mechanically inclined person with a few simple tools and in a few hours.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,726 Posts
Come on, man, 17 hours of labor?? Is that the book price? I seriously doubt it takes the Toyota mechanic that long. There must be a shortcut.

·
Registered
8 Posts
took me 2 full days to change my clutch out on 2003 Rav4 petrol 4WD , First time pulling clutch out on RAV4 done a bunch of other brand vehicles in the past.

Surprises HELL YES listed below.

1. Bell Housing bolt snapped (3rd bolt clockwise from the top it was the smaller diameter) Once i got the gearbox off, i spent a bunch of time trying to extract the mofo out and finally got it out.

2. Subframe bolt the one under the frame smaller in lenght about 60mm long. Had to use a hacksaw blade and go between the chassis rail and subframe and cut the bolt. Once removed tapped a M16 bolt into chassis rail as internal nut had parted from chassis enclosure and only way is either weld a stud into chassis (i dont have any welders) used old school way and tapped a thread into chassis rail.

3. 60% of bolts removed were very very seized. used 1 x full can wd40 on all bolts. Vehicle was parked outside in coastal conditions (salt air to the rescue) in its former life

Other than that it went well. used 1 x engine hoist ,4 jack stands rated at 6ton, 1 x 3ton floor jack 1 x 1.5 floor jack and a bunch of determination.

would i do it again....HMMMM not on a weekend when the temp is 37+ degrees and outside

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 2002 Rav4 with a manual transmission 125,000 miles. So far the clutch is fine. I love the vehicle but not sure it would be worth $3000 to replace the clutch should it need to be done down the road.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Our Rav4 A2 (2.0 ltr) got a new clutch this years plus all related seals (crank shaft, axles @ gearbox and transmission gearbox) replaced and we paid in total 1800 Euros. And over here in Germany the prices the garages calling up are quite high already.
Is the garage putting gold on it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts