Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 98 with 150,000 on it. I got a quote from the dealership of $925 for the work citing 7.5 hours labor. I also called a popular toyota repair shop and was quoted $740. Are they in the ballpark of what it should be? If it was just the pump I would do it myself but its been 80k since I did the belts.

Thanks and great site!

·
Registered
432 Posts
It's about what they'll charge you, but its not even close to fair. Local shops may be a bit cheaper, but they also come with more problems, because the a$$holes have no idea how to work on Toyotas, even if they say they do. If you want to shell out the loot, have at it. But I would do it myself and save the several hundred dollars. :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Can this be a DIY fix......toyota charges millions for a simple job.....(that's the only thing that is crappy about toyota..they charge too much)...

YOU can purchase the official repair book from toyota the one the repair technicians use.. I think it is worth buying if you are mechanically capable than spending thousands for minor repairs and check-ups.....

Ok here is the number...1-800-622-2033
There are 2 Volumes:

Vol 1 - Diagnostics
RAV4.1 - $64.03
RAV4.2 - $88.00

Vol 2 - Engine, Body & Chasis
RAV4.1 - $86.35
RAV4.2 - $88.00

Those are the prices the last time I CHECKED...
GOOD LUCK!!!

If ever any of you guys do purchase them, please let us know how they are........

(i posted this same message in one of the forums....can't remember where...........) :x :x :x :x

·
Registered
432 Posts
The book for the 4.1 is just one book(at least for the '96 version). The best thing to do is check ebay for one. It's the cheapest way to get one. The instructions in these books do suck though. They're made with only the mechanics with Toyota tools in mind. Best to also grab a Haynes manual to supplement it.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I paid about AU$800 (around US$600) for the 100,000km service on my 96 RAV which included water pump and timing belt change. Work was done by my mechanic using toyota parts.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the quick replies! I thought it seemed a bit high. Still debating whether to spend the time doing it myself or not. Though I better decide soon the bearing in the water pump sounds like its getting worse. Thanks again, great info.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually - no it doesn't - in the UK - where we pay too much for everything - I'd only pay about £250 which is about $500

So 800-900 seems way over the odds

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was qouted 280 aussie dollars for the timing belt.................not sure what the water pump is worth though

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I have a mechanic and he is only charging me about 250 in labor I supply the parts (you beat the mark up and know for certain what you have.) I would recomend always supplying the part to the mechanic. They can't get you on pricing only the hourly rate. If the mechanic will not put in the parts you supply find another mechanic because they nail you on parts markup. (usually). A good mechanic shop will let you supply the new parts.

Just food for thought............ :wink:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just did this job myself (along with brakes,struts and shocks) and it wasn't that hard at all. You definately need a manual but the NAPA timing belt kit came with pretty good instructions. My local Toyota dealer wanted over $900 to change the timing belt and water pump and I did it myself in an afternoon for uder $300(Canadian). Timing belt kit with tensioner and pully was $203 and a new waterpump with lifetime warranty was $69 at NAPA.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I get coupons in the mail several times a year from my local (Texas) Toyota dealer for timing belt change $179 or $189. I'm sure they try to gouge you on things like tensioner, water pump, etc. Should be cheaper with a coupon than what you were quoted, though.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got a quote from a local mechanic that deals in only Toyota and Lexus repairs....for water pump, timing belt, tensioner, camshaft and crankshaft oil seals, AND injector cleaning was going to be $800. To me, that sounds like a reasonable amount for all the work being done. And it's a small price to pay for helping to insure fewer problems down the road.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts