Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 431 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Davebeats: at first glance your sales price looks fantastic at over $3k off msrp, but then the dealer hit you with a $995 “doc fee”. The doc fee has gotten to be such a problem recently regarding new auto purchases, that some states have put restrictions on how much car dealers can charge a customer (here in California the state caps this fee at $80) for what is essentially a dealer markup fee. If you havent taken delivery of your vehicle you should be able to negotiate a lower “doc fee”, or show your offer to a competing dealer and they would likely cut this fee to $200 or less. It’s real easy to let your guard down when you get to the finance manager, and they slip this large fee into the deal and you might not even notice it. Some of the fees they try to charge for maintenance and service contracts have gotten out of hand as well.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sticker was $39,700. The $1k for financing, I was going to pay cash, now I pay it off in 2 payments and get that discount. $425 doc fee, $175 registration, state sales tax, and they took off their $299 etching fee. The etching is there, I could call the company if the insurance drops more then that yearly charge to register it. Another dealer closer to me adds $1k in paint and seat protection, plastic side guards and glass etching.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have to admit dealers are coming up with creative ways to add to their profit margins (e.g. glass etching, paint and seat protection, extravegent doc fees, advertising fees)...the bottom line is you have to keep alert thru the whole purchase transaction and be ready to walk if the dealer (especially the “finance person”) tries to charge you for these dealer packs. An apparent “great deal” can become very average deal when you think you’re just figuring out the financing terms.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just visited a toyota dealership to discuss the purchase of a 2019 Rav4 Limited Hybrid (w/ tech package and premium audio) and they seem to be playing hard ball. Granted I am in SoCal where hybrids are extremely popular and gas is expensive, but I did not expect to encounter such resistance to negotiation. The MSRP is $39,184 and they added $5,000 in "dealership fees" (bs). They were not willing to go down from there and refused to take a deposit. They claimed it's first come first serve and the hybrids are selling as soon as they touch base on their lot.

I think they are full of sh*&. What do you folks think? The ridiculous dealership fee aside, are they right that I can't expect to negotiate down from MSRP? I'm seeing here that people are in fact paying MSRP for these things...

·
Registered
66 Posts
A simple way to avoid confusion and to accurately compare dealer prices is to ask for one number, the "Out The Door" price. Asking what they need a check for or what will the loan amount be simply compares apples to apples, and who care what columns they put the numbers in at the time the paperwork is done. At that point, I could care less what the "dealer prep fees" or the "finance fees" are. I have bought many cars over decades by asking for only one price.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I just visited a toyota dealership to discuss the purchase of a 2019 Rav4 Limited Hybrid (w/ tech package and premium audio) and they seem to be playing hard ball. Granted I am in SoCal where hybrids are extremely popular and gas is expensive, but I did not expect to encounter such resistance to negotiation. The MSRP is $39,184 and they added $5,000 in "dealership fees" (bs). They were not willing to go down from there and refused to take a deposit. They claimed it's first come first serve and the hybrids are selling as soon as they touch base on their lot.

I think they are full of sh*&. What do you folks think? The ridiculous dealership fee aside, are they right that I can't expect to negotiate down from MSRP? I'm seeing here that people are in fact paying MSRP for these things...
If you don't mind taking a road trip, I'd suggest looking in Oregon and Nevada. I got discount offers from both, ended up getting a dealer in Colorado to match those. I'm not comfortable posting the dealers names on the forum without their permission but I'll send you a private message latter today including a possible lead in Southern California.

It defeats part of the purpose of a hybrid to pay that much more than a non hybrid, so I was determined to get a fair price.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am in SoCal too and am interested in the 2019 rav4 hybrid, and have been watching them slowly trickle into dealers and, yes, get sold pretty quickly. (Some) dealers are taking advantage of what is temporarily a high demand-to-supply market for the hybrids here that will get solved in the coming weeks and months when inventory levels get more normal (e.g. right now the hybrids seem to be coming mostly from Japan but North American factories should be ramping up soon) . I therefore plan to wait until this situation gets resolved, possibly into the late summer or even fall/winter. If you cant wait, try the Costco buying service which should give you a better price (and reasonable dealer) to work with.

BTW, when the non-hybrid 2019 Rav4 first appeared on the dealer lots back in December, the dealers were making the same claims about selling at MSRP and “no discounts” available, and now 4 months later customers are getting $3-5K off of MSRP. So time is on our side...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hybrid Limited Costco

Did the Costco program.

Year: 2019
Trim: Hybrid Limited - Blueprint / Nutmeg
Options: Advanced Tech, All Weather, Pano Roof
MSRP: $39,884
Invoice Price: $38,030?
Sales Price (excluding tax, title, license): $37,030 (Costco price was $37,530, added $500 college grad rebate)
Doc Fee: $85
Dealer Add-Ons (extended warranty, tint, paint protectant, etc): None
City and State Where You Purchased: San Jose, CA

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm searching for a base model LE Hybrid. I contacted six dealers in the pacific northwest by email and oh the games they play! Even resorting to creative math. One included a TDA (Toyota Dealer Advertising) fee. Is that normally included on all Toyota purchase agreements?

And has anyone had success by email? I haven't given them a phone number yet. But their answers feel so evasive. Should I just hang it up and go in person? I will probably visit some soon and will report back any final stats.

·
Registered
321 Posts
One included a TDA (Toyota Dealer Advertising) fee. Is that normally included on all Toyota purchase agreements?
It is getting more common for dealers to include the TDA when they are claiming to match or beat invoice price but it is not common to add it to MSRP. They conveniently, for them, don't subtract their Holdback or any of other incentives.

Beaverton Toyota puts their "Clear" price on their web site, about $1200 off MSRP for an LE. ($1750 off Limited). They then add the usual Oregon doc fee of $110.

We almost bought there when visiting family, ended up getting a somewhat better deal in Colorado where we live.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

·
Registered
20 Posts
hybrid limited

2019 hybrid limited
Silver sky Metallic
Tech Pkg
Weather Pkg
Entune Premium/JBL
Adaptive headlights
All weather floor mats

38K plus tax title etc. MSRP $39,999 w/delivery

Jamaica, NY (NYC)

First tank 42.3 mpg

It was in dealers lot 4 days

·
Registered
279 Posts
. . . One included a TDA (Toyota Dealer Advertising) fee. Is that normally included on all Toyota purchase agreements?
If my local dealer is any indication, the TDA should be included in the As-Built MSRP (as should the Delivery fee). However, my dealer's current pricing structure, at least for the XSE I was quoted, is to base their final sale price (excluding the usual fees) on the Invoice price plus the TDA. This puts the final price about halfway between invoice and MSRP, reasonable for a high demand car.

If your dealer is adding this on top of the MSRP you can probably do better elsewhere.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Any Canadian (Ontario) customers buying a Hybrid Limited trim? What OTR price are you paying?
Bought one on the weekend in Ontario (not GTA): $49,720 for Blizzard Pearl (which is extra) - that includes all taxes / on-the-road price. (I just have to get my own plates)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok, honest feedback welcome. I've never bought a car before. Did I overpay?

2019 RAV4 Hybrid LE
Final price including all fees: $27,200

(Included roof rails, cargo cover, better floor mats)

21 - 40 of 431 Posts
About this Discussion
430 Replies
157 Participants
Rxking
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing