Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 444 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Someone over on reddit got a good deal on an XLE hybrid.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rav4club/comments/bdl0ta/my_first_toyota_ever_xle_hybrid_including_details/

MSRP: 33,953.00
Sales Price: 29,753.00
OTD: 31,944.59

MSRP makes it seem like it's optioned with the convenience pkg and entune plus.

Don't know where he's located but the $4k off indicates that in some places there's enough supply to meet the demand.

I saw that on reddit but wondered how many BS options were added to get the MSRP $4453 over a base XLE. Is it easier for Dealers to knock down prices when the vehicle is loaded with options that probably have high markups?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just visited a toyota dealership to discuss the purchase of a 2019 Rav4 Limited Hybrid (w/ tech package and premium audio) and they seem to be playing hard ball. Granted I am in SoCal where hybrids are extremely popular and gas is expensive, but I did not expect to encounter such resistance to negotiation. The MSRP is $39,184 and they added $5,000 in "dealership fees" (bs). They were not willing to go down from there and refused to take a deposit. They claimed it's first come first serve and the hybrids are selling as soon as they touch base on their lot.

I think they are full of sh*&. What do you folks think? The ridiculous dealership fee aside, are they right that I can't expect to negotiate down from MSRP? I'm seeing here that people are in fact paying MSRP for these things...
I'm also in SoCal and getting the exact same answers. Emailed every dealership from Orange County through San Diego and am getting the same response. No one is willing to negotiate off MSRP.
I also asked about Costco pricing and most dealers have said Costco has excluded the 19 Rav4 hybrid, others have said they'll honor it but then the price is MSRP.

It does seem that the cars are selling as soon as they hit lots as almost no dealers have anything in stock.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I saw that on reddit but wondered how many BS options were added to get the MSRP $4453 over a base XLE. Is it easier for Dealers to knock down prices when the vehicle is loaded with options that probably have high markups?
It might not have any dealer options at all. I was wrong about the packages included. It looks like it could be a fully loaded XLE with the Entune plus, convenience, tech and weather packages for $3,685. That brings the MSRP to $33,185. Add in some mats and roof rack bars and you're just about there.

No way around it. The new RAV4 is expensive.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Re-play of 2019 (gas model) release in December

I'm also in SoCal and getting the exact same answers. Emailed every dealership from Orange County through San Diego and am getting the same response. No one is willing to negotiate off MSRP.
I also asked about Costco pricing and most dealers have said Costco has excluded the 19 Rav4 hybrid, others have said they'll honor it but then the price is MSRP.

It does seem that the cars are selling as soon as they hit lots as almost no dealers have anything in stock.
For those who missed my comments elsewhere on this forum, the current dealer tactics on the 2019 rav4 hybrid prices are a replay of the rollout last December of the gas model (e.g. holding sales price at MSRP). Now, 4 months later, inventory levels are more adequate and discounts are available up to at least $2-3k off of MSRP.

To quote the Rolling Stones: “Time, it’s on my (our) side, yes it is”.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just visited a toyota dealership to discuss the purchase of a 2019 Rav4 Limited Hybrid (w/ tech package and premium audio) and they seem to be playing hard ball. Granted I am in SoCal where hybrids are extremely popular and gas is expensive, but I did not expect to encounter such resistance to negotiation. The MSRP is $39,184 and they added $5,000 in "dealership fees" (bs). They were not willing to go down from there and refused to take a deposit. They claimed it's first come first serve and the hybrids are selling as soon as they touch base on their lot.

I think they are full of sh*&. What do you folks think? The ridiculous dealership fee aside, are they right that I can't expect to negotiate down from MSRP? I'm seeing here that people are in fact paying MSRP for these things...
I just took home an XSE yesterday. Only two XSEs are in the southern California area at the moment. There was no room for negotiation whatsoever. I took it for MSRP -- no additional fees. I went to several dealers and not one was willing to work with aside from the one from whom I eventually purchased.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just took home an XSE yesterday. Only two XSEs are in the southern California area at the moment. There was no room for negotiation whatsoever. I took it for MSRP -- no additional fees. I went to several dealers and not one was willing to work with aside from the one from whom I eventually purchased.
If you don’t mind my asking, what dealer did you end up buying from?

·
Registered
146 Posts
$37,400 for a Limited Hybrid with Advanced Technology Package, Cold Weather Package, JBL, Panoramic Moonroof, Carpet Floormats, Door Edge Guards, Cross Bars, and Window Tint. This is about $1000 below invoice. Then, we got an additional $1000 off through financing. This is in Phoenix, AZ.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sticker was $39,700. The $1k for financing, I was going to pay cash, now I pay it off in 2 payments and get that discount. . . .
I assume this loan is through TFS. You can pay that much off so early with no "penalties"? Any fees beyond one month's worth of interest? I was thinking of paying cash but this sound good.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I assume this loan is through TFS. You can pay that much off so early with no "penalties"? Any fees beyond one month's worth of interest? I was thinking of paying cash but this sound good.
I can confirm that the loan through Toyota can be paid off after you've made at least three payments. You can also reduce the amount of interest you pay by making a big downpayment -- we paid off everything but $10 on the XLE Premium we bought a few days ago for $34,679 out the door. We possibly could have paid off more but didn't want to push our luck. So we save $1000 minus whatever interest we pay on the $10k over three payments.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I was told by the dealership where I bought my car that I can pay the loan off within a couple weeks and still have the TFS Cash Rebate Of $1000.00. I confirmed this with Toyota and they said that it is up to the dealership on this.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Someone over on reddit got a good deal on an XLE hybrid.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rav4club/comments/bdl0ta/my_first_toyota_ever_xle_hybrid_including_details/

MSRP: 33,953.00
Sales Price: 29,753.00
OTD: 31,944.59

MSRP makes it seem like it's optioned with the convenience pkg and entune plus.

Don't know where he's located but the $4k off indicates that in some places there's enough supply to meet the demand.

This was about the price range I was figuring as to cost when I was building on the Toyota site and the sales price I was looking for before I would buy. The best discounts I have seen are around $2k.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you don’t mind my asking, what dealer did you end up buying from?
Norwalk Toyota. I live within a short drive of Toyota of Redlands, Toyota of San Bernardino, Moss Bros Toyota, and Crown Toyota of Ontario. None of them were willing to find the XSE for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Where I am in DMV, the cheaper trims sell super fast, there are limiteds available. The only thing that doesn't seem to sell right away is limiteds.

·
Registered
25 Posts
For you SoCal peeps, why not buy in San Jose (or other out of area dealership) where members have posted their deals?

A one-way ticket using SWest airlines could save you big $$$...

·
Registered
279 Posts
For you SoCal peeps, why not buy in San Jose (or other out of area dealership) where members have posted their deals?

A one-way ticket using SWest airlines could save you big $$$...
Be sure your trade-in will fit in the overhead bin first.

I just tried to deal with the principal San Jose dealership. The salesman was very nice, he got a deal approved to sell a Limited at invoice. But. The vehicle had not yet been delivered, due later in the week. Onher salesmen at the same dealership had clients ready to pay MSRP. They do not reserve cars, so it's first-come, first-serve. I would have basically needed to be there when the car arrived to secure it for myself. Not worth the risk when I'm four hours away.

So one major take away, for me, was that cars shown at a dealership's site, as well as in Toyota's locator, are not all necessarily on the lot and ready for purchase. And be careful before buying that one-way ticket. (Probably good advice in life too!)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Actual dealer inventories

Be sure your trade-in will fit in the overhead bin first.

I just tried to deal with the principal San Jose dealership. The salesman was very nice, he got a deal approved to sell a Limited at invoice. But. The vehicle had not yet been delivered, due later in the week. Onher salesmen at the same dealership had clients ready to pay MSRP. They do not reserve cars, so it's first-come, first-serve. I would have basically needed to be there when the car arrived to secure it for myself. Not worth the risk when I'm four hours away.

So one major take away, for me, was that cars shown at a dealership's site, as well as in Toyota's locator, are not all necessarily on the lot and ready for purchase. And be careful before buying that one-way ticket. (Probably good advice in life too!)
Just to reiterate here in SoCal (and perhaps NorCal?), some dealers provide “in transit” vehicles on their “New Inventory” list for the 2019 Rav4 (gas and hybrid). Less than half of the gas models are actually on the dealer lot, and for the hybrids it’s less than 10%. I’m not sure if the dealers are purposefully doing this to show what is coming or to entice potential buyers who may think inventory levels on the dealer lots is sufficient. Eventually all these “in transit” vehicles, apparently being delivered by pony express, will get here in the next month or so...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Purchased a Silver XLE Hybrid in Lewisville, Tx.

MSRP was $31,600.

With 2016 Tundra trade in, and a $1000 Rebate final purchase price was $23,519.04

·
Registered
42 Posts
Year: 2019
Trim (LE, XLE, XLE Premium, Adventure, Limited, Hybrid XSE, etc): Hybrid Limited
FWD or AWD: AWD
Options:
1.Limited Grade Advanced Technology
2.Limited Grade Weather Package
3.Entune 3.0 with Navi & JBL
4.Premium Carpet Mat Set (5 piece)
5.Cross Bars for Roof Rack
6.Vehicle Protection Premium Package
7.Special Color
8.Panoramic Sunroof

MSRP: $41139
Invoice Price (if known): Not known
Sales Price (excluding tax, title, license): $38679
Doc Fee: $0
Dealer Add-Ons (extended warranty, tint, paint protectant, etc): None
City and State Where You Purchased: Grenada, Mississippi

After rebate and 6% state tax, my out of the door price is $41000.
The car won't be here until June, but I simply cannot wait!
So did I get a good deal here?:laugh

41 - 60 of 444 Posts
About this Discussion
443 Replies
164 Participants
EnjoyDriving
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing