421 - 437 of 437 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
OK, so I'll go ahead and post my "reservation" to see what people think:

Year: 2020
Trim: Hybrid Limited
FWD or AWD: AWD
Options: Technology Package, Weather Package, Adaptive Front Headlights, All-Weather Liner Pkg, Performance LED Fog Lamps, Wheel Locks
MSRP: $40,958
Invoice Price (if known): $38,291
Sales Price (excluding doc fee, tax, title, license): $38,178
Doc Fee: $99
Dealer Add-Ons (extended warranty, tint, paint protectant, etc): TBD
City/State: MD

·
Registered
54 Posts

Options: Technology Package, Weather Package, Adaptive Front Headlights, All-Weather Liner Pkg, Performance LED Fog Lamps, Wheel Locks

I got mine back in January, Limited Hybrid

MSRP$40,647
9% off$3,700
$36,947
TFS cash$500
$36,447
Tax$2,187
Fee$147
Doc fee$389
$39,170

·
Registered
68 Posts

I think buying at invoice for a hybrid is a very good deal in today's market, especially if it's the model, color combination, and features you want. So, good job! The factories are slowing starting up again (and stopping due to lack of components) so unless you can buy a hybrid that was built before mid-March, you will likely have a long wait (especially for a Limited). The XSE seems to be in relatively abundant supply compared to the other hybrid trims, particularly the Limited.

One thought....the dealer can quickly make up their "lost" profit by getting you to pay high prices for add-ons (extended warranty, tint, paint protectant, etc). Some advice: buy only the genuine Toyota "VSC" (Vehicle Service Contract). I paid $1250 for a 7/75K Platinium plan with no deductible. The dealer had offered its own plan for $2895 for the same time/distance with $100 deductible. After I stopped laughing at the finance guy, I made my offer to buy a Toyota plan (yes, of course they sell them) for the same price we had negotiated for our other Toyota (that we bought 9 months earlier from another dealer). I said, "take it or leave it" and the finance manager quickly took it. In my humble opinion, if you plan to keep a car past the 3/36K warranty, you must buy a service contract (yes, even for a Toyota). Just price the cost of any of the electronic parts in your new Limited. You'll see what I mean.

Any other dealer-sponsored plans (known as "3rd-party" because they are not sold or backed by Toyota) are not worth buying and can be a complete rip-off that eats up the entire discount they offered on the car. I'm just saying. I hope this helps.

You're going to love the combination of the Adaptive headlights and Performance LED fog lights. Both are well worth the upgrade prices.

Peace.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think buying at invoice for a hybrid is a very good deal in today's market, especially if it's the model, color combination, and features you want. So, good job! The factories are slowing starting up again (and stopping due to lack of components) so unless you can buy a hybrid that was built before mid-March, you will likely have a long wait (especially for a Limited). The XSE seems to be in relatively abundant supply compared to the other hybrid trims, particularly the Limited.

One thought....the dealer can quickly make up their "lost" profit by getting you to pay high prices for add-ons (extended warranty, tint, paint protectant, etc). Some advice: buy only the genuine Toyota "VSC" (Vehicle Service Contract). I paid $1250 for a 7/75K Platinium plan with no deductible. The dealer had offered its own plan for $2895 for the same time/distance with $100 deductible. After I stopped laughing at the finance guy, I made my offer to buy a Toyota plan (yes, of course they sell them) for the same price we had negotiated for our other Toyota (that we bought 9 months earlier from another dealer). I said, "take it or leave it" and the finance manager quickly took it. In my humble opinion, if you plan to keep a car past the 3/36K warranty, you must buy a service contract (yes, even for a Toyota). Just price the cost of any of the electronic parts in your new Limited. You'll see what I mean.

Any other dealer-sponsored plans (known as "3rd-party" because they are not sold or backed by Toyota) are not worth buying and can be a complete rip-off that eats up the entire discount they offered on the car. I'm just saying. I hope this helps.

You're going to love the combination of the Adaptive headlights and Performance LED fog lights. Both are well worth the upgrade prices.

Peace.
I will caveat that my car has not been built yet. The build date is supposed to be next Thursday. I did look up the VIN and the vehicle was ordered in February before the shutdowns. Hopefully things are on schedule now.

I have quotes from Jennifer for the Toyota extended warranty. Will be curious as to whether this dealer (CarMax affiliated) sells it or their own plan.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I will caveat that my car has not been built yet. The build date is supposed to be next Thursday. I did look up the VIN and the vehicle was ordered in February before the shutdowns. Hopefully things are on schedule now.

I have quotes from Jennifer for the Toyota extended warranty. Will be curious as to whether this dealer (CarMax affiliated) sells it or their own plan.
Most dealers will sell a 3rd party service contract (their own if they are big enough) because the the profit margin is outrageous and this tactic has replaced most "PermaPlate" type scams. Although Toyota sells the contracts to the dealer for reasonable abouts (about $700 for the $1250 I paid), most dealers pressure buyers to pay hundreds or thousands more. You can buy the contract from Toyota at any time before the end of the 3/36K warranty. You do need to have a dealer inspection if it's not purchased at original sale.

To be clear, the main reason to buy from Toyota is that the company stands behind it (not just a dealer or group of dealers), you don't have to pay anything up front (most 3rd party plans require you to pay up front for the repair then seek reimbursement), and Toyota requires dealers to use genuine parts whereas 3rd party plans don't have that restriction (their point is to make money up front, not to pay out when something breaks).

Again, good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all, my wife and I are thinking about adding a 2020 RAV4 hybrid to family. At some point in my research I lamented, "if only there were a place where everyone could post what they paid for a new RAV4h?"...then I found this thread and it's been a great resource. So glad places like this exist...

So, here's what I want:

2020 RAV4h XLE + convenience and all weather package. There are a couple other add ons I'm interested in (roof rack cross bars, cargo liner, hitch) but they're optional in my book so I'm fine to do without to keep cost down.

Here's also what I want: To stay under $30,000 OTD.

Is this remotely possible? I'm in a place with killer sales tax at 10.4% so that's a huge obstacle plus our DMV fees are pretty expensive. I've received a few perfunctory quotes from area dealers (no negotiation on my part) and they've been around 35,000-36,000 OTD.

I'd be buying cash and wouldn't have a trade in. I'd normally say that's probably too big of a discount to hope for but in light of end of the month, close to end of the model year, the covid hurting sales...I thought I'd at least wonder down this road before writing it off.

If anybody has any insight as to whether that's realistic or strategies to get there it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help!

-Preston

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid Limited Silver over Black
7 Posts
2020 RAV4h XLE + convenience and all weather package. There are a couple other add ons I'm interested in (roof rack cross bars, cargo liner, hitch) but they're optional in my book so I'm fine to do without to keep cost down.

Here's also what I want: To stay under $30,000 OTD.

Is this remotely possible? I'm in a place with killer sales tax at 10.4% so that's a huge obstacle plus our DMV fees are pretty expensive.
In a word: no. Let's break it down in invoice prices, with all info coming from the CostcoAuto website assuming TN as a state:

2020 Hybrid XLE Invoice $27866
Destination Charge $1120
Convenience Package $1126
XLE Weather Package $824
Total Invoice $30,936

Even if the dealer eats ALL of the holdback (2% of MSRP) which is about $660 you are over $30K without TTL & any dealer fees.

If they sell it at invoice, a few dealer fees, tags, licenses (~$250), plus 10.4% Tax @ $3217 you are over $34,400 OTD.

You may find a low miles used one for under $30K OTD, but the selection is slim with limited color and option choices.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Destination Charge $1120
XLE Convenience Package $1126
Carpet Floor Mats/Cargo Mat $205
Frameless HomeLink Mirror $146
Total Accessories $1477.00
TDA $674
Gasoline $11.40
Total Invoice $31,148.40
City/State: CO

Dealer hold back $684.00
Note: Hold back amount includes PPO hold back
Wholesale Financial Reserve $309.00

Offered $32,786 out the door. Is this a good deal?

·
Registered
2 Posts
In a word: no.
Thanks for the response, AUKraut. I suspected I was reaching but had hoped there there would be some manufacturer rebates or incentives that would cut the cost down more. Probably not $4,000+ more though, lol.

Appreciate the info, going to test drive tomorrow evening.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Destination Charge $1120
XLE Convenience Package $1126
Carpet Floor Mats/Cargo Mat $205
Frameless HomeLink Mirror $146
Total Accessories $1477.00
TDA $674
Gasoline $11.40
Total Invoice $31,148.40
City/State: CO

Dealer hold back $684.00
Note: Hold back amount includes PPO hold back
Wholesale Financial Reserve $309.00

Offered $32,786 out the door. Is this a good deal?
If your OTD price includes your local tax ($1638) that means you're getting a hybrid at invoice cost. That's a good deal in most areas (California tends to be higher).
I will add that there is the issue of "a bird in the hand" because if the car is on the lot now and you want it (trim, color, options are right) then buy it. With the factory shutdowns and current delays in starting up again, there will be a shortage of hybrids in the coming few months. Just looking ahead....

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

Peace.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Trim: Hybrid XSE
Options: Weather, Premium Nav, Technology, Panoramic Roof, Special Color, First Aid Kit, Cross Bars, Blackout Emblem, All Weather Liners, Mudguard, LED Fog Lights, Carpet Mats
MSRP:$40,336
Invoice Price (if known): $38,400
Sales Price (excluding tax, title, license): $37,501
Doc Fee: $599
Dealer Add-Ons (extended warranty, tint, paint protectant, etc): None
City and State Where You Purchased: Aurora, CO

Was this a good deal?
Pretty good. I'm curious why your MSRP is less but invoice price is about the same as mine. I was shopping around for a Hybrid Limited this week and this is what I got. Decided to go with the gas version since I get 0% 60 months.

Options: Limited Grade Advanced Technology Package, Limited Grade Weather Package, Panoramic Moonroof, Carpet Floor Mats/Cargo Mat, High Performance LED Light, Roof Rack Cross Bars
MSRP:$40,743
Invoice Price (if known): $38,538
Sales Price (excluding tax, title, license): $37,938
Total OTD with TTL: $40.499.28 for PA at 6% tax
Dealer Add-Ons (extended warranty, tint, paint protectant, etc): None
City and State Where You Potentially Purchased: MD

·
Registered
2 Posts
I received a quote for the 2020 XLE base model (MSRP - $30,765) at $27,400. I think that's pretty reasonable. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2919 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
933 Posts
The OTD price is $29.7k which includes 8% tax
In order for comparisons to be most helpful, please list the quoted cost of the car without including any state or local tax and/or registrations. That way people in other areas with other tax regimes can make a fair comparison.

I buy without financing and without those tax/registration costs factored in precisely because I can then see the true cost the dealer is charging iwthout the deal being cluttered up and obscured by other charges or fees. The quote I ask for is a "if I give you a check for this amount, will I walk away with the car". I pay state and registration in my home state. I may add temporary tags from the state I buy the car in. But through all that, I can see the quality of the deal I am being offered. They can lump any dealer prep fees, distributor prep fees, dealer and distributor add ons and the like into the size of the chack I should bring but I can still see what the list with accessories, invoice and deal price is and compare to other deals I have been offered.

421 - 437 of 437 Posts