Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

681 - 700 of 740 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,
I’m a first time car buyer. I read through the hundreds of posts here before making my decision. Thank you all of you for your many contributions, tips and stories. When I went to the dealer, I thought I only wanted the most basic (no option) whatever cheapest color available. When it came down to, other than trim, the driving force became the exterior and interior color (apparently I had a strong preference)... and “perceived” value/discount.

Plz let me know your thoughts!!!

Year: 2020
Trim: XLE Hybrid
FWD or AWD: AWD
Options: weather package, convenience package, roof rack, and other things that allegedly adds value that I didn’t really care about
MSRP: $34,137
Invoice Price (if known): they showed something like $29k+. I didn’t get the exact number. Manager said he’s selling this at below invoice cuz he’ll make it up on other cars.
Sales Price (excluding tax, title, license): $28,990
Doc Fee: $500
City and State Where You Purchased: near Baltimore, MD
Below invoice for a RAV4 hybrid? $5147 off, which is 15% off MSRP, on a RAV4 hybrid of all cars? Californians HATE you. Other parts of the USA are seeing buyers putting down deposits on RAV4 hybrids that are weeks away from arriving at the dealer. Good lord if the offer is genuinely real, jump on it and don't look back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Below invoice for a RAV4 hybrid? $5147 off, which is 15% off MSRP, on a RAV4 hybrid of all cars? Californians HATE you. Other parts of the USA are seeing buyers putting down deposits on RAV4 hybrids that are weeks away from arriving at the dealer. Good lord if the offer is genuinely real, jump on it and don't look back.
Thank you so much, Spaceballs! I was a bit of a nervous wreck last night haha

·
Registered
21 Posts
Haha if it would be in CA , i would a get right away lol

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid Limited
16 Posts
2020 RAV4 Hybrid Limited. Limited Grade Weather Package, Blackout Emblems, All-Weather Floor Liners + Cargo Tray, Paint Protection Film, Roof Rack Cross Bars, Body Side Moulding, Door Edge Guards, Door Sill Protectors, LED Fog Lights, Mudguards and Running Boards.

MSRP: $41,989
Invoice: $39,439
Drive off the lot cost after taxes, title, registration: $42,342

Financed with Toyota - $500 deposit used as down payment on a 60 months @ 1.9%APR will cost about $2000 interest over 5 years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Trim: XSE Hybrid
Options: Magnetic Gray Metallic with XSE Technology Package, XSE Cold Weather Package, Premium Audio with Dynamic Navigation and JBL® and Dual Pano Moonroof, Body Side Molding, Mud Guards, Premium Carpet Mat Set, WeatherTech front/rear floor liners, Spider Cargo Net (only wanted the premium audio, tech package, WeatherTech liners, and mud guards but couldn't find one with just those)
MSRP: $39,372
Invoice Price (if known): Not known
Sales Price (excluding tax, title, license): $36199.26 (with $1500 cash rebate), OTD price of $38,900 /w 6.25% tax
Doc Fee: $150
City and State Where You Purchased: Houston, TX

All in all, pretty happy with our purchase - very first brand new vehicle purchase and financed through a credit union @ 2.25% 60mo. Huge upgrade in every way from our old 2007 RAV4 Base model.

Already went and picked up the OEM trunk liner, OEM LED fog lights, 30% ceramic tint :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is this a good deal?

Trim: Limited
FWD or AWD: FWD
Options: Blizzard Pearl w/ Nutmeg interior (special color), Limited Grade Technology, Limited Grade Cold Weather, Panoramic Sunroof, Mudguards, Roof Rack
MSRP: $39,333
Invoice Price (if known): Not sure (ANYONE HAVE NUMBERS FOR THIS?)
Sales Price (excluding tax, title, license): $37,845
Tax: 9.5% in Los Angeles, CA
License and other Fees: $680
City and State Where You Purchased: Los Angeles, CA
Total Purchase Price: $42,100
Financed for 60 months, 0% APR

Did I get a good deal? Considering I live in California and the current pandemic situation.

Most dealerships I spoke to couldn't budge much off the MRSP because of high demand and low inventory in California (and of course across the states). What do you guys think?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is this a good deal?

Trim: Limited
FWD or AWD: FWD
Options: Blizzard Pearl w/ Nutmeg interior (special color), Limited Grade Technology, Limited Grade Cold Weather, Panoramic Sunroof, Mudguards, Roof Rack
MSRP: $39,333
Invoice Price (if known): Not sure (ANYONE HAVE NUMBERS FOR THIS?)
Sales Price (excluding tax, title, license): $37,845
Tax: 9.5% in Los Angeles, CA
License and other Fees: $680
City and State Where You Purchased: Los Angeles, CA
Total Purchase Price: $42,100
Financed for 60 months, 0% APR

Did I get a good deal? Considering I live in California and the current pandemic situation.

Most dealerships I spoke to couldn't budge much off the MRSP because of high demand and low inventory in California (and of course across the states). What do you guys think?
I got a quote for the 2020 Rav4 Limited Hybrid + Limited Grade Advanced Technology Package +Limited Grade Weather Package sale price $38000. It looks like you have a panoramic roof, my quote is for just power Tilt/Slide Moonroof

·
Registered
3 Posts
Year: 2020 Rav4 Hybrid
Trim: XSE (Blueprint / Black Interior) $34,300
Options:
XSE Technology Package $640
XSE Weather Package $375
Premium Audio Package $1620
Roof Rack Cross Bars $315
All Weather Liner Package $269
Mudguards $129
Blackout Emblem Overlay $175
Door Edge Guards $140

MSRP: $39,083 (MSRP $34,300 + $1120 delivery + $3663 Options)
Invoice Price: $36,368
Sales Price:
$37,000
-$1250 Rebate
+$134.75 Title & Registration
Total Price Pre Tax: $35,884.75
+$150 Doc Fees (This must be a quota for them, I could get adds ons for free but they wouldn't touch the Doc Fees)
+$3882.73 (10.82% Sales Tax in Washington State including new car taxes....ouch)
Total Out the Door Price: $39,767.48

We actually negotiated the $37,000 price in early July already including the rebate and it took them 2 months to get my exact car. During that time the rebate increased from $1000 to $1250 due to nearing the end of the year. When it finally arrived and they grabbed my old paperwork they thought the rebate was supposed to deduct from the $37,000. I did NOT point out that error. IMO this took the sale from a good 5.4% below MSRP to an absolute steal at 8.5% below MSRP

·
Registered
1 Posts
Started with Costco AutoProgram and was able to get a dealership go even lower than the Costco Price. This is my first car, so the whole process is new to me. I did try to read up as much as I can. Is this a good deal?

Year: 2020 Rav4 Hybrid
Trim: XSE
Color: Blizzard Pearl White, black interior
Options:
Premium Audio
All Weather Floor Liners and Cargo Tray
Roof Rack Cross Bar
Body Side Molding
MSRP: $ 38,313
Invoice Price (if known): $36,527
Out the Door Price (including tax, title, license, processing fee): $36,500 (with $1250 manufacture rebate, and $500 recent grad rebate. Because i took the $500 recent grad rebate, i had to finance with Toyota, but ended up with 3.04% APR for 60 months. Probably can get better rate from bank but i rather take the $500 now since i will likely pay off the car early)

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 hybrid XLE, Magnetic Grey metallic, cold weather package.
207 Posts
Ok I really have to ask this.
I plan to get new car in December.
So it will be 2020 or 2021 RAV4 hybrid XLE. I want the pushbutton start and a few options available on XLE not on LE.
I went on toyota.com and build it out.

Base with XLE all weather package.
Total 31,745.00, see attached summary.
What would be a fair OTG price expectation based on that MSRP?
I am in north NJ. Tax is 7%
The MSRP quoted includes 1175 in DELIVERY, PROCESSING & HANDLING fees.
I know Toyota have 1000 customer cash insentive now.
Would it be possible to negotiate =<30k OTG?
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok I really have to ask this.
I plan to get new car in December.
So it will be 2020 or 2021 RAV4 hybrid XLE. I want the pushbutton start and a few options available on XLE not on LE.
I went on toyota.com and build it out.

Base with XLE all weather package.
Total 31,745.00, see attached summary.
What would be a fair OTG price expectation based on that MSRP?
I am in north NJ. Tax is 7%
The MSRP quoted includes 1175 in DELIVERY, PROCESSING & HANDLING fees.
I know Toyota have 1000 customer cash insentive now.
Would it be possible to negotiate =<30k OTG?
Thanks
Its possible with a 2020 if they have any left by December you could probably get it cheap although <30k would be a steep ask unless by chance they actually had your exact car left. By December they won't be building any 2020's and they will only have what is left on the lot or what they can trade for, your exact car and color would be hard to get then, possible now. Summary for a 2020 in December cheap price? possibly, exact car? very unlikely. For a 2021 it will be hard to get one that early but on the bright side you can get exactly what you want, on the down side with demand high there will be very little chance in my opinion of a cheap car that far under MSRP.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Its possible with a 2020 if they have any left by December you could probably get it cheap although <30k would be a steep ask unless by chance they actually had your exact car left. By December they won't be building any 2020's and they will only have what is left on the lot or what they can trade for, your exact car and color would be hard to get then, possible now. Summary for a 2020 in December cheap price? possibly, exact car? very unlikely. For a 2021 it will be hard to get one that early but on the bright side you can get exactly what you want, on the down side with demand high there will be very little chance in my opinion of a cheap car that far under MSRP.
Thanks Dastudd, not sure if it a lot or not, but my calculations account around 8% under MSRP.
I see a lot posts here with 10 or more % prices. Am I reading this posts wrong? Also, what do you mean early?
I thought 2021 models should be out by the end of September.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Dastudd, not sure if it a lot or not, but my calculations account around 8% under MSRP.
I see a lot posts here with 10 or more % prices. Am I reading this posts wrong? Also, what do you mean early?
I thought 2021 models should be out by the end of September.
8-10% below MSRP is quite possible at the end of the year when for example the 2020's are being phased out but certainly not a given. Lets crunch some #'s, say you get the 10% below (which would be amazing), you are at $28,570, just paying the 7% sales tax you are back up to $30,570 and that doesn't include things like Doc Fees and the title/registration. If you were able to keep things under $31k i think you would be doing amazing. If you got under $30k i think it would be for a car they were dying to get rid of and that likely would not be for the exact car you want which by December would be harder and harder to find.

For a 2021 you need to look back at what people were getting back in the November/December time frame, early in a model year Supply/Demand are really against you. Many people who are buying in the fall will just say forget the 2020, I'll get the 2021 and dealers will start to get a trickle supply by then with lots of people excited for the new model year. The dealer has no reason to go so far below MSRP when people are lining up to buy, I would be shocked if you could get 5% below, I'd bet closer to 2%. If you did get a good deal with them in December for like 5% below on a 2021 you still might have to wait several months for the dealer to get your exact car, especially if you are picky about your color.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I can wait. I am not the give me now kind of person. I mean I want it but if needed a few month is not a big deal. My current car is ok now and should not be an issue.
I am a little picky about the color , but only because I am buying new. When I was buying used , what you can find is what you get. I am kind of houping that RAV4 prime would take some edge of the regular hybrid and I will get some breathing room on price.
I am houping to get OTG under 31K

Crossing my fingers 🤣😂.

·
Registered
790 Posts
8-10% below MSRP is quite possible at the end of the year when for example the 2020's are being phased out but certainly not a given. Lets crunch some #'s, say you get the 10% below (which would be amazing), you are at $28,570, just paying the 7% sales tax you are back up to $30,570 and that doesn't include things like Doc Fees and the title/registration. If you were able to keep things under $31k i think you would be doing amazing. If you got under $30k i think it would be for a car they were dying to get rid of and that likely would not be for the exact car you want which by December would be harder and harder to find.

For a 2021 you need to look back at what people were getting back in the November/December time frame, early in a model year Supply/Demand are really against you. Many people who are buying in the fall will just say forget the 2020, I'll get the 2021 and dealers will start to get a trickle supply by then with lots of people excited for the new model year. The dealer has no reason to go so far below MSRP when people are lining up to buy, I would be shocked if you could get 5% below, I'd bet closer to 2%. If you did get a good deal with them in December for like 5% below on a 2021 you still might have to wait several months for the dealer to get your exact car, especially if you are picky about your color.
Historically, for a normal year, and a normal car (and this is not a normal year or a normal car) the best deals are the last days of September. Dealers have the most inventory and typically the most incentives from the factory to offload current model year inventory so allocations of the 2021 can commence. If they have much inventory left in December of the current model year something went very wrong - and dealers don't mind carrying a couple into the new year since the new model is usually several hundred dollars more on the sticker - so they can make last years new model look like and even better deal.

It would be worth a try on the last day of this month. Someone may have an incentive to hit and you might be the one.

But this year who knows?

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,158 Posts
I think you have to look at recent prices, last two months. Sure I bought at more than $3k discount to MSRP but that was then. Now I see lots of list prices and dealers seem to have mighty few so they can afford to be rigid.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Well I have 2 options in my plans.
If I can't get Toyota I will stay with Subaru. I was looking at 2 options, a RAV4 hybrid or Forester Sport.
If Toyota is out of my budget I can go with second choice. I drive the 2010 Forester now. I like the 2020 model too. But I want a hybrid ,soo here we are. ,😈😄😁

·
Registered
3 Posts
Trim: XLE in Super White/Nutmeg
FWD or AWD: Hybrid AWD
Options: Convenience Package ($1256), Weather package ($925), All weather Floor liners and cargo tray ($269), Blackout emblems ($175), Crossbar ($315), [added mudflaps ($139)]
MSRP: $33,769 (+$139 for mudflaps) = $33,898
Invoice Price: Unknown
Sales Price (excluding tax, title, license): $30,713 (~9.4% off MSRP)
OTD: $34,883 [10% WA sales tax + $150 doc fee + $693 car tab (yes... you read that right)]
City and State Where You Purchased: Seattle, WA

I told them to add mudflaps for free and they offered to install it for like $250. I told them to "throw it in the back" for free and I'll install it. Surprisingly they accepted and we had a deal.
Wasn't the color I wanted (Lunar Rock/Black) but with the inventory currently the way it is, you take what you can get - especially at this % off MSRP in Seattle.

It has the moonroof but I would have preferred weather + audio without it. However, this was one of two XLE with weather and convenience in the whole greater Seattle area not already reserved. Plenty of LEs and Limited and some XLE with no packages or weather only and basically zero XSE. Nuts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Trim: Hybrid XSE in Magnetic Gray
Options: Tech Package, Weather Package, Premium Audio, Panoramic Roof
MSRP: $38,694
Invoice Price (if known): Unknown
Sales Price (excluding tax, title, license): $33,813.42 (~14.4% off MSRP)
OTD: $37,000 [6% FL sales tax + $243 registration fee + $799 dealer fee]
City and State Where You Purchased: Florida

I also negotiated free weather mats. So here’s a simple breakdown...

MSRP - $38,694
Discount - $4,880.58
Sale Price - $33,813.42
Taxes + Fees - $3,186.58
OTD - $37,000

Did I get a good deal?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Trim: Hybrid XSE in Magnetic Gray
Options: Tech Package, Weather Package, Premium Audio, Panoramic Roof
MSRP: $38,694
Invoice Price (if known): Unknown
Sales Price (excluding tax, title, license): $33,813.42 (~14.4% off MSRP)
OTD: $37,000 [6% FL sales tax + $243 registration fee + $799 dealer fee]
City and State Where You Purchased: Florida

I also negotiated free weather mats.

Did I get a good deal?
Damn that's an excellent price and more than $2-3k lower than a comparable XSE in Seattle.

681 - 700 of 740 Posts