Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What % below the MSRP is considered a fair deal for the Hybrid AWD? Good deal? Very good deal? Average deal?
Same question but what % above the Invoice amount is considered a Fair deal? Good? Very good? Average?

S

·
0 Posts
Thats a bigger question than stated.
While many of the MFG have similar pricing structures. They are not exactly the same. And you have to also consider where
it was made and import cost, etc. Many have one price markup for the base model, and another markup for trim level and
another for the accessories of either. There is more profit figured into higher trim and accesssories. Markup is larger for a
bigger car or truck, and smaller for the little puddle jumpers.
I understand there are web sites that can give ballpark "buy" $ numbers. And consumers report has a price quote system also.
There was an OLD rule of thumb that -10% off list was a starting point, and hone the horse trade skills before going.

I do know for a FACT if you see "handling, or document fee", or other administrative fees . . . . they are bogus !
They are there purely as a profit engine.

Doing your homework, is paramount before buying.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Dealers can barely keep then in stock to give test drives. You're nuts if you are expecting a discount in those conditions.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Dealers can barely keep then in stock to give test drives. You're nuts if you are expecting a discount in those conditions.
Yes, you are absolutely correct about that. Why the heck do people think that they are in the drivers seat on price when you cannot even find a car in stock. I had to order ours and between Toyota Corporate sending me a rebate check for complaining about lack of inventory and being a loyal customer, plus getting the dealer to come down slightly, I did manage about a 10% off MSRP price. I consider that a major success given the lack of inventory.
May be in other parts of the country and Canada there are lots more of these cars available, but not here in California.
My dealer says that the RAV4 Hybrids that are not ordered and already spoken for are sold within hours of their arrival.
In a few years there may be loads of these on dealer lots, not the case now, not here anyway.

·
Registered
138 Posts
10% off is unheard of. I'd love to pick one up for that. Truecar says people in my area are paying MSRP or slightly above.

·
Registered
449 Posts
When I bought mine it's priced as in "Toyota Canada" web site. Even paying cash.

·
Registered
423 Posts
My dealer has what they call "their price" which is lower than the MSRP and it is stated on the widow sticker below the MSRP. But they will not lower it on the Hybrids. They only had two for sale on the lot, and they are a big dealership with other locations. We did not want either one of the two that they had there due to the color and interior. They found the one that we wanted at a dealer about 100 miles away.

·
Registered
229 Posts
When we bought ours, our local dealership had 5 in stock, but their prices were $1000 or more higher than MSRP when comparing with the same equipment included. We went over to NJ and got the deal we were looking for. You can still shop around until you find what you are looking for. If you are willing to walk out the door without buying anything, sometimes they are willing to negotiate, especially if you have knowledge about the car and pricing. In our case, our local dealership called a few days later to offer a better price, but we had already purchased our RAV.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Truecar valuations are always higher than one should pay. Do a little more research. Depending on area of the country 8-10% off MSRP can be a negotiated norm for vehicles in inventory...

·
Registered
11 Posts
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-4-4-general/209698-2016-rav4-prices-paid.html

We paid ~28,250 (actually ~$29,000 because we took 0% financing instead) for a XLE Hybrid with the Convenience Package over Memorial Day. No negotiating. Just used the Costco-negotiated price. But this was on the East Coast, where RAV4 Hybrids can be found, unsold, sitting on dealer lots. Seems that the West Coast is a tough place to buy one.

·
Registered
67 Posts
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-4-4-general/209698-2016-rav4-prices-paid.html

We paid ~28,250 (actually ~$29,000 because we took 0% financing instead) for a XLE Hybrid with the Convenience Package over Memorial Day. No negotiating. Just used the Costco-negotiated price. But this was on the East Coast, where RAV4 Hybrids can be found, unsold, sitting on dealer lots. Seems that the West Coast is a tough place to buy one.
Great point about Costco. Our dealer said that the RAV Hybrid was not part of Costco's list of vehicles with discounts at the time we purchased but still reduced the price based on our Costco membership.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great point about Costco. Our dealer said that the RAV Hybrid was not part of Costco's list of vehicles with discounts at the time we purchased but still reduced the price based on our Costco membership.
We also took the Costco discount to purchase on Rav4 Hybrid Limited over the memorial day weekend.
We were told the RAV4 Hybrid WAS part of Costco's list - the discount is a bit less ($1000 off for Hybrid Vs 1600 off for non-Hybrid).

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got my R4H Limited for 10-11% off MSRP. I could actually decide if $4000 off MSRP or $3500 with .9 financing at 5 years. I got the second option.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm still considering a Hybrid and I've gotten a Costco quote ( the Hybrid is is on their list here, L.I., N.Y.). I've had a dealership come down slightly from both Costco and so-called "invoice" pricing because there's still money to be made for the dealer, at least on the east coast, if it's sitting in inventory...

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm still considering a Hybrid and I've gotten a Costco quote ( the Hybrid is is on their list here, L.I., N.Y.). I've had a dealership come down slightly from both Costco and so-called "invoice" pricing because there's still money to be made for the dealer, at least on the east coast, if it's sitting in inventory...
So called invoice? Invoice price is the price the dealer pays for the car from the factory. Yes, dealer holdback is built into this. But again, there is only one invoice price..and it is not a secret.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I say say "so-called" because some members here likely are unaware that the hold-back in invoice pricing yields close to 800.00 profit per unit for the dealership, and there are other incentives, like sales volume, that can increase dealer profits even more. You assume everyone here is aware of these facts, I'm not so sure they are...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well again, there is only one invoice price and what is included in that price is not a secret. You seem to emply this is a mystery number? Invoice price is hardly a profit for the dealer. It is there to cover dealer business expenses to stay afloat. Paying at or near MSRP is their bread and butter when it comes to profits. If you want to complain about price, complain about folks paying significantly over invoice...and how much did you pay to watch your dealers local advertising? Any benefits that the dealer receives from their volume does not come out of your pocket...

·
Registered
62 Posts
You're repeating yourself- you sound like a shill for Toyota. This is Rav4world and I don't believe the members here share your concerns about the "bread and butter" profits of their dealerships- I know that I don't. I suspect that most here want information and on this topic to get the best price possible for a Toyota, and MSRP, along with other "fuzzy"costs, isn't it in most of the country. Your remarks seem better suited for the Toyota corporate site...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts