Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I remember correctly, there was an incident in the early years of Tesla Model S, a car ran over a crowbar at highway speed, and it punctured the battery pack and it caught on fire. Tesla retrofitted the vehicles with titanium armor plates after the incident.

Does anyone have documentation of what kind of puncture protection is there for the prime under floor battery? I think this is important consider it is floor mount, and sitting in front of up to 14.5 gals of gasoline...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime SE X2
If I remember correctly, there was an incident in the early years of Tesla Model S, a car ran over a crowbar at highway speed, and it punctured the battery pack and it caught on fire. Tesla retrofitted the vehicles with titanium armor plates after the incident.

Does anyone have documentation of what kind of puncture protection is there for the prime under floor battery? I think this is important consider it is floor mount, and sitting in front of up to 14.5 gals of gasoline...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This attached exploded view PDF seems to indicate a steel shell around the entire battery pack. Running over a crowbar hitting the gas tank would be a problem too.

Attachments

Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
You can see removal and disassembly videos on YouTube for the Prius Prime and other models. Look at the WeberAuto channel. Here's a great one. I don't think we've yet seen one for the Rav4 Prime, they are too rare.

Registered
This attached exploded view PDF seems to indicate a steel shell around the entire battery pack. Running over a crowbar hitting the gas tank would be a problem too.
Actually, I don't think that's a steel case. It's likely the standard ballistic grade aluminum shell most of these EV battery packs use. Tesla also uses a titanium skid plate along the entire under carriage. Looking under the Rav4 Prime, it looks like there is some skid plate protection under the battery. You can see it in the video here:

Whether it's titanium or not, I'm not sure.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, I don't think that's a steel case. It's likely the standard ballistic grade aluminum shell most of these EV battery packs use. Tesla also uses a titanium skid plate along the entire under carriage. Looking under the Rav4 Prime, it looks like there is some skid plate protection under the battery. You can see it in the video here:

I thought the external "skid plate" is plastic like the hybrid?

Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE (+weather +audio) Silver Sky Metallic

It sounds like the guy in the video said it was all steel underneath. I assume that includes the skid plate.

Registered
The easiest way to find out is to get under your car and start tapping on that plate. If it's plastic vs metal, you'll feel the difference.

Registered
So, I just went under the car. The coverings you see on the under body in the video are all plastic. However, the HV battery is part of a supply battery assembly that is metal. However, there is no separate metallic plate to protect the entire battery assembly. You can see pics here:

I think they did this to save on weight. Anyways, to answer your question, there is no plate protection for the batteries per se other than the metallic shell.

Registered
Finally, I just want to note that the titanium protection plate they added to the model S and X's after wards was just a SMALL area on the leading edge of the battery. You can see the picture here:

It does not cover the entire battery, and the entire battery undercarriage is still exposed to road. Honestly, wouldn't even worry about it. If you do puncture something on the road and battery catches on fire, you will see warnings as the HV battery voltage should drop precipitously and you will need to pull over.

Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime SE X2
So, I just went under the car. The coverings you see on the under body in the video are all plastic. However, the HV battery is part of a supply battery assembly that is metal. However, there is no separate metallic plate to protect the entire battery assembly. You can see pics here:

I think they did this to save on weight. Anyways, to answer your question, there is no plate protection for the batteries per se other than the metallic shell.
As I previously posted the PDF, it looks like a stamped steel shell. I don't believe it is aluminum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts